Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Sir AntiLag

UNDRGND at standard level
Default Home Networking

Hey All

Im building a new place and thinking about setting up a home network (ie run the netwrok cables through the roof and have just a specky wall plate)

Does anyone do that here? or work at places like Inteligent Homes etc.

Imt hinking about doing it myself but I dont know how to attach the cables to the wall plates and run 4 separate connections off my current router.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by UNDRGND; 03-11-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

I would have a 4 socket wall plate where your router is, and individual wall plates dotted around.

easy as to do. Ive done a fair bit for our office.

Go to an electrical wholesaler (one we have down here called Auslec) and get wall plates and sockets and enough cat-5 cabling (cat-5e if you want gigabit). Most sockets have the colours on the back, and its as easy as striping back the outer insulation and jamming the wires in the back of the sockets in the right colours.

If you need to attach plugs you'll need a crimping tool for the plugs.

you can find the colour order on the net, or remember this (as the standard straight through) facing the pin side of the plug cable coming out the bottom: Orange/white - Orange - Green/White - Blue - Blue/White - Green - Brown/White - Brown.

Sorry if its a bit of a rushed answer, just typing this before i go home, PM if you want some more info
Old 03-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

if your going to run it through the walls do cat6 to start with not something already out of date. With the right stripping, and crimping tools its easy to hook up.

id already run twice as many lines as you think you need :P cant hurt to have redundancy.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:19 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

sn001 at standard level

yep go with cat6
Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Just need to be careful when crimping, that all the wires are lined up correctly, so they all have a contact. Why not just get a wireless router? I can access mine in every room and have good strength for 3 neighbours routers. So the range is very good, you can also get booster aerials. I do actually have a network cable run through my roof for my PS3 though (the wireless on it is pathetic), but yeah easy job. I dread to think what Intelligent Homes would charge.

Oh and crimping tools are a bit expenisve $30+, so if you want to borrow mine let me know, you're probably only going to need to use it once.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by werticusness
if your going to run it through the walls do cat6 to start with not something already out of date. With the right stripping, and crimping tools its easy to hook up.

id already run twice as many lines as you think you need :P cant hurt to have redundancy.
+2

Also just run it to a patch panel somewhere and have your telephone line terminated there, then every network point is a telephone point if you need it then. That is how I have it in my house anyway

http://www.clipsal.com/consumer/prod...psal_StarServe

That is what I have, minus the Alarm
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682
+2

Also just run it to a patch panel somewhere and have your telephone line terminated there, then every network point is a telephone point if you need it then. That is how I have it in my house anyway

http://www.clipsal.com/consumer/prod...psal_StarServe

That is what I have, minus the Alarm
Dan did you install this yourself or get someone in? How does this work - ie do i run all the network cables back to the box and then what do i do with the phone line?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

I've done this a few times. I've got the appropriate ticket and all the required tools...

You know. Just saying.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRGND
Dan did you install this yourself or get someone in? How does this work - ie do i run all the network cables back to the box and then what do i do with the phone line?
I did it myself and had the sparky sign the ticket.

You just need to run phone cable from where telstra put the box in to the unit and you just terminate it onto the PCB which has the phone line connections.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Sir AntiLag

Hey All

Thanks for all your help so far but im a bit technology illiterate. Not dissing any companies but I got quoted $5500 to do my house which I thought was a bit steep. I have not yet signed my building contract cause I wanna include this in there:

What I want is:

Kitchen:
1x phone Line (in roof)
Family Room:
1xPhone and 1xData
Theatre:
1xPhone and 1xData
Study:
1xPhone and 1xData ( for my fax and PC)
Anywhere:
Mode 3 Phone line for Alarm

I want the internet to run to all rooms and be able to access my computer and external hardrive from the study in family and theatre.

Im happy to run all the cables to a box (like Dan said) but will the clipsal do the job for me or is it limited to only 4 data points like the website says. I assume I put my router in there which then distributes the adsl feed.

Sorry for the dumb questions but any help would be gold.

Cheers

Chris

Tags
home, networking