Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-03-2009, 02:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kiwi
yet, this article will now be used as case study to ban hi-po vehicles rather than the idiots who dive them.
They dont need to impact on peoples personal freedom and ban fast cars...all they need to do is:

A: Start teaching people to drive and use the schools to instill a bit of personal responsibility in to people.

B: Make insurance compulsory. I have said it before but its really flipping simple..
Young drivers ARE a risk because of their lack of experience. Unfortunately its to easy for them to gain access to a fast (and generally expensive) car because they dont have to worry about insurance. If they were faced with a $3000 insurance premium on top of buying the car and they cant afford it then the car will be out of their reach until they have a few years driving and the premium drops.

In the UK insurance is compulsory and until your about 21 a 1.3 hatch is about all that is a sensible cost to insure. When you get to 25 the insurance on things like a WRX falls to an affordable amount.
Police cars are armed with a camera that scans number plates as they drive around and there are fixed roadside cameras that do the same...if your uninsured the camera flashes and you either get pulled over or receive a letter in the post. The punishment is not light either.
Old 29-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

deviant, You are definitely on to a winner there. Can't see any losers out of this. Insurance should be cheeper for everyone as there is a greater pool of people contributing funds AND the fools that try to get away with it contribute revenue cos thats what road use is all about.
Old 29-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

scoobygez at standard level

As above the insurance is great in the uk ie not allowing young drivers powerfull cars coz of how expensive it is although this is still not perfect as there is countless ways round it!!

ie put car in ya dads name and drive 3rd party on his insurance or what a lot of people i know do get a traders policy entilting you to drive any car regardless of power insurance group 1 to 20 although you have to give em reg's of cars thats easy lol

best way would to just use engine size as a means of ways ie no more than 1.3 engine til your 21 then upto 2.0 til 25 then you can get the big boys toys......
Old 29-03-2009, 03:27 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

1.3 Rotary it is then

Clearly the power pole is to blame here - they need to ban non drag race friendly power poles!
Old 29-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

scoobygez at standard level

they should put em in groups like the uk 1 to 20 rx7 being a 19.
Old 29-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotydog

Clearly the power pole is to blame here - they need to ban non drag race friendly power poles!
This is true, you never ever win against Stobie...
Old 29-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

swift at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSTi
deviant, You are definitely on to a winner there. Can't see any losers out of this. Insurance should be cheeper for everyone as there is a greater pool of people contributing funds AND the fools that try to get away with it contribute revenue cos thats what road use is all about.
Would have to second this, the only problem is that there are too many parents that would go and insure the car in their name for their kids, hence defeating the purpose.

Condolences to the family, I even struggle to look at that wreck!
Old 29-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift
Would have to second this, the only problem is that there are too many parents that would go and insure the car in their name for their kids, hence defeating the purpose.

The easy solution to this is Ma & Pa can still have their cheep insurance but a minimum excess of 10g's on anyone under say 25.

If the car IS insured but effectively no possibility of claiming it if their son or daughter prangs it then they might consider very seriously wether they wish to support this activity.

It won't stop those that are real enthusiasts that really want something really nice and will give a crap about it ( but these are not usually the ones that are stacking their pride and joy ) but it will probably eliminate a large number of twits in very fast old bunkies.
Old 29-03-2009, 08:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift

Most insurance companies base the premium on the youngest driver or the driver that has held a license the shortest amount of time anyway.

If it worked out anything like it does in the UK yes the premium would be reduced slightly but the normal excess and under 21 type excess remain at a high rate.
As mentioned there is insurance grouping there, so a Suzuki Swift would be something like group 1 - 3 so very cheap to insure and an STI would be group 20 and very expensive to insure. Any parent with more than a couple of brain cells say to there kids "Sure we will help you out with insurance...but I'll be damned if your having a group 20 car!"

With compulsory insurance that is heavily loaded for new drivers the access to sports cars is self regulating, you dont need laws and fines and to confuse people or for people to ignore anyway.

Another plus side I can see is that most new drivers will have a bit of a parking scrape or minor bingle so with compulsory insurance it would be a guarantee that you can claim off someone for the damage.
Old 29-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

smerm07 at standard level

im 19 but my wrx is under my mums name. all i pay is $860 a year for full cover

Tags
fatality, racing, skyline, street, wrx