Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-05-2009, 08:49 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

dougiefresh at standard level
Default Home Theatre Advice

Time to upgrade the crappy speakers I currently have hooked up to my 46' Bravia X Series, need advice on a set of satelite speakers and amp.

I run an Xbox 360(HDMI) and soon to be Blu-Ray(HDMI), only requirements are really the size of the speakers (hence satelites).

Have been looking at
Klipsch HD Theatre 500
or
Energy RC-Micro

Both are around $1200

I am totally confused about amps and the only one I have been recommended is this
Denon 1909
for around $1000

Budget is as close to $2000 as possible

Suggestions?

Dougie
Old 14-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Sir AntiLag

WHITEMY08 at standard level

My old man has the full set up with the energy speakers with Boston subs and it cranks, well made gear.
Old 14-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

scoobygez at standard level

I have a full klipsch system bar the amp the sound is quality (at $4k it should be) i can vouch for the sound although its a little deep....

mine is on a yamaha amp
Old 15-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Satellites and an amp for under $2k? Definitely do-able.

Try B&W's CM1. I paid just under $1,200 for mine a year or so ago.
A summary from http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/bw_cm1.htm

" 'Green Peppers' ... has additional bass mixed into the original track. The CM1s reproduced it with so much slam and visceral impact that I could only stare at the small 5" woofer in disbelief. These speakers could generate prodigious amounts of low-frequency energy, and not of the slow, wooly variety either. The bass was taut, well defined and musical with accurate speed and timing...

"Retrieval of musical detail was remarkable, however, with the CM1s revealing some previously obscured nuances. The speakers exhibited a masterful separation of instruments in the mix and maintained their poise even when the musical score became dense..."

"The B& W CM1s are attractively styled minimonitors that will provide a rewarding listening experience. Their tweeter is the best that I have heard in the under-$1000(US) price range, approaching the performance of tweeters in much higher-priced speakers and validating the trickle-down claims of B&W. As noteworthy is the highly accomplished 5" Kevlar woofer, which lays down a foundation that is as good as that of many larger speakers. Properly positioned, the CM1s can immerse the listener in a deeply layered three-dimensional soundstage with stellar imaging, the only caveat being a slight compression of soundstage height. The midrange is rich but not overly ripe. Vocal realism is startling, creating a "they are here" feeling. The CM1s are quite forgiving, so matching with an amplifier and source is a less of an issue.

"In terms of overall value, I nominate the B&W CM1 as a contender for top honors. As the price of speakers seems to creep ever upwards, the B&W CM1 shows that there are still very accomplished speakers at the low end of the price scale."
_____

Amp? I got a Yamaha RXV661.
It does everything I need, can support up to 10 speakers (inc. sub) and is pretty good value at under $700.
_____

Throw in cabling and some stands and you're just around $2k. You could do a deal and get it spot on I recken, if you got it all at one shop.

I can vouch that those 'little' B&W CM1s sure impress a lot of people when I turn off my sub and say "that's just those little 5" drivers". They don't believe me
Old 15-05-2009, 06:17 AM