Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sti_Ra at standard level
Default Computer attacked with Virus ( need help)

Short story - went to a free online movies website and it just goes automatically to a new page and the display is like a My Computer folder and it shows graph downloading Virus! so i quickly click back and i think the virus is already goes in..

So what happen now is:
- my window asking me if i want to block it but the button cannot be click(off mode),only the enable protection button can and it just open a www.perfectdefender.com( software ) which ask me to download.. And window says ( WIN32BRONTOX) WHICH I THINK it is the virus name ..
then after download only can scan! can't erase need a registry key to buy(marketing!!) And the window panel keep coming up every 15 min after i close it..

So after scanning with the perfect defender it says i have 7 Threads!
1.Win32brontox
2.Spyware
3.Spyware
4.dialer
5.trojan
6.hacktool
7.packed

So what it does to the computer now is:

- ( only the window keep appearing asking me if i want to block the win32brontox which i can't and other button is the enable protection which only goes to the www.perfectdefender website and the other that happen if im watching online movie from this online movie website (not the website i got the virus from), it will close all internet explorer after a few minutes(like a folder coming out saying the explorer is error need to be debug/close)

- Then if i want open website it says not recommended to this website, open hotmail usually goes through right away with Remember me password ,now it goes to homepage which i have to type in email and password,where i usually not)

My antivirus has expired longtime ago,as can't be bothered to buy a new antivirus where it's so expensive now

So basically what i should do now?
is there other way beside reformat?
is it safe to play the computer online?open like email or anything with password? My window firewall is on ,only antivirus is expired

i know nothing about computer, any help will do

Appreciate the helps

Last edited by Sti_Ra; 09-06-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Avalanche at standard level

there are other ways but they are a pain in the ass. backing up your files and formatting is the easiest
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

elemist at standard level
Send a message via MSN to elemist

Format would be the easiest option. You can stuff around and remove the virus, but usually the damage it's caused means you end up running into more problems later...

If you want to go down the trying to remove it path.

1) Backup all of your files, as you may or may not loose everything.
2) Disable system restore - Control Panel - > System -> System restore
3) Reboot into safe mode
4) hit up an online scanning site, such as http://housecall.trendmicro.com
5) remove anything it finds.
6) Also download an up to date virus scanner and run that

That should remove the worst. I wouldn't be doing anything like online banking until your certain everything has been removed.

Also Antivirus isn't exactly expensive, you can pick up most of the big home based versions like Trend Micro PC Cillin or Mcafee for around $100.. That said theres quite a few free versions like AVG or Avast which are all really good and offer most of the same features as the paid ones.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:45 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sti_Ra at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemist
Format would be the easiest option. You can stuff around and remove the virus, but usually the damage it's caused means you end up running into more problems later...

If you want to go down the trying to remove it path.

1) Backup all of your files, as you may or may not loose everything.
2) Disable system restore - Control Panel - > System -> System restore
3) Reboot into safe mode
4) hit up an online scanning site, such as http://housecall.trendmicro.com
5) remove anything it finds.
6) Also download an up to date virus scanner and run that

That should remove the worst. I wouldn't be doing anything like online banking until your certain everything has been removed.

Also Antivirus isn't exactly expensive, you can pick up most of the big home based versions like Trend Micro PC Cillin or Mcafee for around $100.. That said theres quite a few free versions like AVG or Avast which are all really good and offer most of the same features as the paid ones.
How do i back up files? Do u do it in ur current computer internally (it's a compaq laptop) or u need a external harddisk which i don't have atm.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 AM
STI Master

Qu3xy at standard level

Copy the stuff you want to back up to DVD's or thumb drives if you dont have an External Hard drive.

You can start your computer in safe mode by pressing F8 when the computer is starting up and run some virus scans then.

Try removing anything dodgy from starting up in msconfig (Start -> Run -> MSconfig)

Good luck!

APCV-R
AutoPro Canning Vale Racing
Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

As peeps have said, it can take hours sometimes to try and remove a virus and it's often quicker just to rebuild. Get an external hard drive, as they are invaluable for situations like these and cheap www.ple.com.au. Copy everything to it and then rebuild. You've probably got the original Cds that came with the laptop, one should be entitled something like 'System Restore' so just boot from that. Also some manufacturers have the System restore on a hidden partition on the actual laptop, which makes it even easier. And if you use Outlook Express or Outlook you will need to copy various data files to your external drive if you want to keep mail, contacts etc.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Stormy at standard level

Anything that doesn't work right, like your hotmail login, may mean its being redirected to a logging site. Dont check your internet banking or anything important until it's fixed/reinstalled.

Follow these threads. Easiest way to give you all the steps without repeating them.
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313

Compaq's may have a 'Press F11 for recovery' when you first boot the laptop, before the windows splash screen. If it's Vista, there may even be a factory recovery option listed in the startup menu. Press F8 repeatedly just before the vista logo, then choose 'repair my computer'. Turning off the laptop and rebooting while the vista logo is scrolling should display the same menu.

AVG Free free.avg.com should be the minimum antivirus you should be running, and weekly scans with malwarebytes antimalware www.malwarebytes.org should help keep your computer clean.

You shouldnt need to pay to remove any of this stuff. Buying the 'products' such as the one installed in the original post only helps these guys spread more bad stuff, create bot-nets for spam etc. XPAntivirus2006 etc are the most common ones, and even make the computer look like its bluescreening and rebooting (great to see the xp startup screen on a vista machine).

Big Tip: ----
A simple google on perfectdefender showed this page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malw...-defender-2009
Just follow this. And have a look around the bleeping computer site. That and majorgeeks forums should get you out of trouble.

All else fails, take it to an expert.

My driveway: 2x Subaru AWD :) 0xTurbo :(
Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

MCL at standard level

Check out this forum for a solution.

Click here...

Cheers,
MCL
Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Köura at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti_Ra
My antivirus has expired longtime ago,as can't be bothered to buy a new antivirus where it's so expensive now

There's probably a shit load more mal/spy on your machine than what you've picked up.

Format
Old 09-06-2009, 11:10 AM
STI Master

agentorange at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti_Ra
Download AVG for free...with free updates. Just remember to leave Windows Firewall on if you dont have a Firewall bundled in your antivirus.
http://www.avg.com.au/

Make sure you also run a spyware, etc scan often. Something like Lavasoft Ad-aware...its also free, with free updates. http://www.lavasoft.com/home.php
My rhymes are stronger than ammonia
I'm a diamond, you're a cubic zirconia

Tags
attacked, computer, virus