Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-08-2009, 10:53 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level
Default WTB Jet-Ski, advice?

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a Jet-Ski, but have little knowledge of them. Was interested in some feedback of jet-ski owners. Basically I'll be using it for mainly tow in surfing and some wake-boarding. I know Sea-Doo do a wakeboard model with a ballast tank, but most reviews of Sea-Doos have been shit (reliability issues). I'd prefer a Jet-Ski that could put out a decent wake, but priority is tow in surfing, so needs to quick and most of all reliable. From what I've read Yamaha seem to be the way to go, I think their top of the range is a 1.8 supercharged bad boy, sounds great. So yeah advice would be appreciated!
Old 21-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Philbo at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Philbo

Go and speak to Stu at Jetpower mate, Tell him Phil Kitto sent you up there and your looking at a Yammie FX SHO. He will look after you very well on price.

Cheers Phil
Old 21-08-2009, 07:00 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Köura at standard level

^^ Yamaha fx series with trim system.

You'll want something stable but with a fair bit of grunt.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:56 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

IanJ at standard level

What they said. Sea doo are great race skis but I think a Yam would be better for your purposes.

Check out the jetskijunkys forums ( http://forum.jetskijunkys.com/index.php ). I think Fridays Jetskis have an SHO for sale at the minute failing that go see Jetpower.
Old 21-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

+ whatever number we are up to

I have owned several, Yamaha is the only way to go if you want reliability and break neck speeds and off the line power

the FX SHO is the answer for sure.

I think they are around $22,000 at the moment but Joel at Jetpower did say that they are bustable as it is winter and nothing is selling.
Old 21-08-2009, 08:51 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Yeah I'll probably go second hand actually as there seems to be a fair amount for sale, all those cashed up bogans selling SS utes & jet-skis. I was watching a tow-in surf comp in Hawaii, sponsered by Sea-Doo and the surfers were using Yamaha Jet-Skis ha ha!
Old 21-08-2009, 09:29 AM
STI Master

Mike at standard level

In that case it couldn't hurt to send Marty (SKIHIONPSI) a PM. I know he has been thinking of offloading his Jetski. It's a Yamaha, not sure what model though.
Old 21-08-2009, 01:03 PM
STI Master

SKYHIONPSI at standard level

Mike, im going to hang onto mine now i've decided, i wont move it atm, and its probably a little light on in terms of power for what Perthzed wants, although mine can pull wakeboarders and do tow-in stuff easily.

As all the rest have said, go a Yamaha FX-SHO if you want massive grunt and a big stable ski. I've got the VX series, which is a great reliable ski, good on fuel and good enough for what i need to do with it. If you have the disposable income, go top of the range straight up, i only went entry level as it was my 1st ski and wanted something reliable.

EDIT: Hit up jetpower they should have some good 2nd hand stock.

Last edited by SKYHIONPSI; 21-08-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 21-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

I'll admit I don't know the first thing about tow in surfing but I would assume it fits under the same marine laws as waterskiing, thus you require a minimum 3 person ski to do it. One driver, 1 x Observer and capacity to carry the Skier (or surfer) if they are injured.
Also skiing behind any sort of jet regardless of the power is a poor second to a proper ski boat/wake boat, which you can buy for the same kind of money. I got out of my Jetski years ago and bought a half share in a decent ski boat and it's much more sociable. Friends and family can join in etc.
Old 21-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
I'll admit I don't know the first thing about tow in surfing but I would assume it fits under the same marine laws as waterskiing, thus you require a minimum 3 person ski to do it. One driver, 1 x Observer and capacity to carry the Skier (or surfer) if they are injured.
Also skiing behind any sort of jet regardless of the power is a poor second to a proper ski boat/wake boat, which you can buy for the same kind of money. I got out of my Jetski years ago and bought a half share in a decent ski boat and it's much more sociable. Friends and family can join in etc.
You make a very good point in which many people don't think about at the time of purchase or even once they are out on the water.

Marine and Harbours and 99% of the general public do not like jet ski's or the "hoon" riders (sound familiar). You just need to fart and they will try and book you or dob you in.

Also all of that aside, there is a reason there needs to be a spotter. Once you have 2 on the ski plus the person you are pulling, you will need some serious HP to get the ski and them out of the water. You will want to only look at something like a SHO or if you have to a Supercharged Seadoo. I still feel you will be pushing shit up hill, especially if you, your passenger or the skier is packing a bit of weight. dtrally has a point. Just buy a decent ski boat and buy the jet ski for stress relief

Tags
advice, dan682 likes jetskijunkys, jetski, listen to dan the man