Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

silvascoob at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
Wow BAS lovely looking bike..

love the bikes.. want to get into it also and try ride around 50 kms to and from work..

Im looking at getting into it, and was looking at a carbon frame but alot of people have been telling me that they are fragile and can break at any moment so it would be better to get an ally frame?? any truth to this??

im looking at bike exchange for a secondhand bike and other places??

Im 5'9 roughly so what sized bike frame would be suited??
carbon fiber is stiff and super light, but is also very brittle, and has no structural rigidity when used the way bike manufacturers do.
if you drop the bike on a tiny rock it can destroy your frame, and as its brittle it will give no warning before throwing you onto your face if its already fucked.
if you want carbon fiber go buy a brand new bike and go over it with a fine tooth comb before handing over any money. (you wouldn't buy a used condom would you?)
for an everyday bike you dont have to treat like its made of gold get a good ally frame bike with a carbon fork, and if you do this you can put a much higher spec wheelset on it for the same money as a carbon frame bike, which will reduce your rolling mass, which makes way more difference than having a swanky carbon frame.

If you want to get a good deal and exceptional service go to fleet cycles in fremantle and ask to speak to john the mechanic there (he also does sales)
this guy has had more bikes than i care to think of.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvascoob View Post
carbon fiber is stiff and super light, but is also very brittle, and has no structural rigidity when used the way bike manufacturers do.
if you drop the bike on a tiny rock it can destroy your frame, and as its brittle it will give no warning before throwing you onto your face if its already fucked.
if you want carbon fiber go buy a brand new bike and go over it with a fine tooth comb before handing over any money. (you wouldn't buy a used condom would you?)
for an everyday bike you dont have to treat like its made of gold get a good ally frame bike with a carbon fork, and if you do this you can put a much higher spec wheelset on it for the same money as a carbon frame bike, which will reduce your rolling mass, which makes way more difference than having a swanky carbon frame.

If you want to get a good deal and exceptional service go to fleet cycles in fremantle and ask to speak to john the mechanic there (he also does sales)
this guy has had more bikes than i care to think of.
Yeh thats what ive been told about the carbon bikes.. im wanting to get one second hand to save some money...

prolly in the 1-2k bracket when i finally get around to doing so..
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

BAS at standard level

Sorry guys, that's total bullshit regarding carbon frames. Carbon frames have been around for over 10 years and you will struggle to find any non-carbon bike these days.

They are as strong or stronger than anything else out there. I wouldn't have any problem buying a second hand carbon bike as long as it hadn't done 5 million kms- but that would be the same for aluminium, steel as well. They all get tired after a while.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 PM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS View Post
Finally got the new bike!!! (on the left, Pinarello Dogma 60.1)

FUCK, that is a hardcore looking bike!

What group and rims? I'm assuming Campy Super Record at a minimum for the group.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS View Post
Sorry guys, that's total bullshit regarding carbon frames. Carbon frames have been around for over 10 years and you will struggle to find any non-carbon bike these days.

They are as strong or stronger than anything else out there. I wouldn't have any problem buying a second hand carbon bike as long as it hadn't done 5 million kms- but that would be the same for aluminium, steel as well. They all get tired after a while.

What year and brand would you recommend mate?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Scoobie Noobie

5UZI3-Q at standard level

Except mine is in blue. Specialized dolce elite. Don't get out on her much which is a shame. But great bike.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Scoobie Noobie

suzie at standard level

aahhhh that is so annoying!! I cannot get it to forget my previous account. Sorry guys.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

BAS at standard level

Quote:
Just stick to popular brands- Giant, Trek, Specialized, etc. Newer the better- bikes are always improving so latest model you can afford i guess. You could find a 3-4 year old bike that had hardly been used which would be better than something much newer which was owned by a hardcore cyclist and has probably done 20,000kms. Same as cars really.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Sir AntiLag

Bruce at standard level

so many pdiddy cyclists...I'm very impressed!! also some of the hardware on this thread is simply awesome!!

Bruce
08 STI - Ugly Betty Bites!!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Sir AntiLag

rstasy at standard level

Quote:
There's a few giant bikes which I sell, which are a carbon composite - however, the majority of the frameset is composed of aluminum, with the crucial areas of the bike that are generally associated with helping to dampen vibrations coming from the road are made entirely of carbon (your fork, and chain/seat stay)

Have a peep on the giant website - these 6 or so particular bikes might tickle your fancy. They by far outweigh Avanti, Cannondale, and Specialized in terms of value for money, and the componentry that are coupled with them.

2010 Giant TCR (mid-season release - ENTIRELY aluminum.. weigh in at about 10kg dependent on frame size; as if there's physically more tubing, there will physically be more weight - as your seat tube, and consequently your top tube enlengthen in size. You could either opt for a TCR 0 (Full Ultegra 6700 Groupset / 53-39 Cranks), or the TCR 1 (Full 105 Groupset / 53-39 Cranks)

2010 Giant TCR Alliance - which was what I was making reference to before. This has a carbon composite frame. You can opt either for the TCR Alliance 1 (Full Ultegra 6700 Groupset + Mavic Aksium Race Wheelset), or the TCR Alliance 2 (Full 105 Groupset / Standard 53-39 Cranks + Shimano WH-R510 Wheelset). Both share the same frameset and geometry.

2010 Giant Defy Alliance - which differs from the TCR Alliance in terms of both geometry and gearing ratio. Slightly less aggressive in your headtube angle, which means for a more upright riding position. The defys come standard with a 50-34 compact crankset. Once again, you can either opt for the Defy Alliance 0 (Full 105 Groupset / Compact 50-34 Cranks + Mavic Aksium Race Wheelset), or the Defy Alliance 1 (Full Tiagra Groupset / Compact 50-34 Cranks + Shimano R500 Wheelset)

All giant bikes, regardless of frameset and frame materials in such - are all covered by a lifetime warranty.

Hit us a PM or come see me at TBE Nedlands and I can discuss with you if need be.

Last edited by rstasy; 07-03-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Tags
pushie, show