Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Subaru Tech Division

wawa at standard level
Default gluten free / allergy free expo on 13th - 14th of March

So I just got diagnosed with coeliac disease, and got told about the gluten free and allergy free expo on next weekend. There are a large list of exhibitors and seminars on.

The Venue: Perth Convention Centre
Time: Saturday 13th March - Sunday 14th March 10am - 5pm

Minimal costs for entry

There will be samples of gluten/allergy free food + beer and wine

http://www.glutenfreeinwa.com.au/
Old 26-03-2010, 05:12 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

My wife is also a coeliac. Good luck with the new diet. There are heaps of products and support out there these days, so finding the right products and information is becoming better all the time. IGA supermarkets have been great at bringing new and local suppliers to the shelves as well.

The coeliac society in WA is worth joining. They will be able to assist with all sorts of info.
Old 26-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Good luck because a friend of mine is coeliac and the bread tastes like shit. Also quite funny when you go to HJ's and she orders a whopper with cheese with no bread. Have to explain to them that they cant disasemble a normal one, they have to cook it from scratch. And yes you realise that you will have to pay full price.

Brendon
Old 26-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

wawa at standard level

Thanks guys. Had fun there the gluten freebeer was awesome but is fairly expensive. The bread tastes pretty crap although I've found the white bread from alternative bites tastes nice when toasted. Hungry jacks and chicken treat have given me some strange looks when I ask for the whopper minus bun or chicken dinner minus gravy. Found siennas cafe and fasta pasta to be very accomodating.

It is hard when out and hungry but now I've been linked with a dietitian I know what I can and can't eat, have started losing weight gained from malnutrition and feeling a lot more energetic. Also discovered that no I'm not an asthmatic had just been having anaphalactic shock for the last 10 years, which is a bit scary.
Old 26-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

My mum has coeliac's and Ive been warned to minimise my intake of things containing gluten.
Tried a few of those gluten free cakes that come in the packets, some of them are quite nice and barely can tell the difference between it and a normal one.
Old 26-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

jessw at standard level

My mum eats gluten free plus shes intolerant to a few other things too. I actually cook a lot of gluten free meals due to personal preference (have you ever looked at the ingredients for breadcrumbs...... i use rice crumbs instead now) and when mums around i use all gluten free products does alter the taste a little but i make sure it's all packed with flavour so you never know the difference.

She lives in Sydney and i know when we were there the restaurants and food shops were packed with glutenfree produce so she's found some great tasting products though there is still a lot of bland shit around
Old 27-03-2010, 04:21 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

STEVO at standard level

Hey all.

Im hooked on using U-Brew down at Joondalup, and spoke to the crew there today re people who are Coeliac's and if there is a beer available for it. Yes there is , a few actually. Although Im not a Coeliac myself, I brew the equivalent to Red Back, and it tastes great. The bonus with U-Brew for people who havent tried it is that they only use natural ingredients, no preservatives = no hangovers A rough price for 50 litres beer and if you have your own empties to use works out at $190.00(equivalent to 6 ctns worth = $31.60 per ctn). Great value, better than spending mega bucks on that Billabong gluten free beer etc.
Old 27-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

wawa at standard level

Ta guys, have discovered that coles does a fairly wide range of gluten free products. Am attempting to make a gluten free lasagna tonight, hope it turns out nice.
Old 28-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

A guy at work has this. It totally fucks him when he eats something he shouldn't - Puts him out of action for a few days at least. He's 30 odd and has only just discovered what is wrong with himself!

Jacks everyone off when he eats bad and then doesn't show up at work for days.
Old 31-03-2010, 12:48 AM
STI Master

[BANNED] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [BANNED]

Same as many of you guys.. my Mum has had Coeliac disease for about 8-10yrs now. So our whole family learnt to adapt.. and in the end we stopped even noticing when g/f pasta was substituted for normal pasta etc. Even our local woolworths sells g/f pasta in the normal pasta section - so the trend is slowly growing!

Some tips:
- Sumo Salad do GF varieties, if its not on the menu then ask
- Dominos in both NSW and QLD offer a g/f base.. although its not always on the menu or the website. Not sure if its made it as far as WA yet.. but you can always ask them!
- Stones Pizza in Mt Lawley do awesome g/f bases
- General consensus seems to be that the Alternative Bites bread is the only one worth bothering with.. and then only when its toasted.

Its hard when cooking for a coeliac.. because some foods are so sneaky... like some vinegar is ok.,.,. and other vinegar is not - so sauces can be tricky.

Check here for some great places to eat : http://www.glutenfreeeatingdirectory.com.au/

Cheers
Tara (stealing Dans login lol)

Tags
13th, 14th, allergy, expo, gluten, march