Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 10:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
Yes and no.

Yes - you won't get the full effect of say a chopper flying overhead, but really, you will hardly notice

No - not alot of sound is produced from back there anyway so the difference is minimal.

But I am an audiophile so quality is everything to me

Who says you can't support the speakers on a long pole hanging from the ceiling to get them down a bit anyway?
LOL - My wife ! I suggested pulling the poles off speaker stands and securing to the wall with conduit brackets (to get around the space issue of the base) - she didnt take to that idea too well.

Its only a Sony theatre in a box - but it has a mic for automatic setup of individual speaker volumes, so it would hopefully compensate.

I can always go the whole hog in my actual theatre room....
Old 29-11-2010, 07:19 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
Yes and no.

Yes - you won't get the full effect of say a chopper flying overhead, but really, you will hardly notice

No - not alot of sound is produced from back there anyway so the difference is minimal.

But I am an audiophile so quality is everything to me

Who says you can't support the speakers on a long pole hanging from the ceiling to get them down a bit anyway?
Ok this could be an option for me too then. I don't really want to be chasing walls either. Is there much of a price difference with ceiling mounting speakers? And would you have 2 at the rear, 3 at the front, then the sub where ever?

Maybe something like these

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/hi-fi...peakers/236036

Last edited by perthzed; 29-11-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 29-11-2010, 07:48 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed View Post
Ok this could be an option for me too then. I don't really want to be chasing walls either. Is there much of a price difference with ceiling mounting speakers? And would you have 2 at the rear, 3 at the front, then the sub where ever?

Maybe something like these

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/hi-fi...peakers/236036
Are your rears going to be on an internal or external wall?

Internal - you are probably better off with ceiling speakers / mounts.

External - I would run the speaker cable down the cavity wall, and put a face plate for the speaker wire.

Another option if it is an internal wall is to run the wire down a BIR or linen cupboard if adjacent in some wall conduit. Not the prettiest, but as it is inside a BIR / cupboard - if you tuck it into the corner it will be fine. I have already done this and the lounges against the wall hide the cables running to speakers. I had to knock up a custom faceplate using a blank electrical and speaker mounting terminals.

(Of course you will still need the conduit in wall / or cavity wall to get the rear speaker wires up into the ceiling). Pretty sure you have that from memory of one of your previous threads.
Old 29-11-2010, 09:15 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Are your rears going to be on an internal or external wall?

Internal - you are probably better off with ceiling speakers / mounts.

External - I would run the speaker cable down the cavity wall, and put a face plate for the speaker wire.

Another option if it is an internal wall is to run the wire down a BIR or linen cupboard if adjacent in some wall conduit. Not the prettiest, but as it is inside a BIR / cupboard - if you tuck it into the corner it will be fine. I have already done this and the lounges against the wall hide the cables running to speakers. I had to knock up a custom faceplate using a blank electrical and speaker mounting terminals.

(Of course you will still need the conduit in wall / or cavity wall to get the rear speaker wires up into the ceiling). Pretty sure you have that from memory of one of your previous threads.
Rears on an internal wall, fronts on an external wall, so they can definitely be wired up no worries. Bit of a problem with the rears, hence the reason I was thinking of in ceiling speakers.
Old 29-11-2010, 09:55 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed View Post
Rears on an internal wall, fronts on an external wall, so they can definitely be wired up no worries. Bit of a problem with the rears, hence the reason I was thinking of in ceiling speakers.
No BIR / Linen cupboard you can take advantage of as per image below?

Could always look at going wireless rears.... depends how hard core you want to go.

eg
Old 29-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

I don't know shit about sound but I remember hearing from the theatre installer at my house that if you free hang them rather than mounting them in a bracket, you get better sound. Might be an idea?

Tags
mount, speakers