Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-11-2010, 02:49 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level
Default Where to mount speakers?

I'm buying a Jamo speaker pack for my home theatre, not sure exactly where to mount the speakers. I'd have to thread the cable through the ceiling I guess, so where would the best place be to mount them - on the ceiling or on the wall? And would I have to buy the brackets separately?

Old 27-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

You'll want the rears just above ear level when seated (angled slightly down) and just a bit behind you so that they fire sound more accross the room than back towards the screen. Centre speaker will be beneath the screen angled slightly up, left and right mains should be placed about a foot off the back wall and equidistant from the centre of the screen. The sub can literally be placed anywhere as those sound frequencies are non directional for the most part. You'll gain a few dB by facing the sub into a corner however it will be a bit boomy and not sound the best for music or movies. I would leave it between the screen and one of the main speakers and play with it until you find something you like.

With regards to speaker brackets, any 'worth their salt' audio supplier will have some generic ones you could buy. Better to play around with positioning and won't leave holes in the wall if you move out.
Old 27-11-2010, 04:22 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level

what jamo pack are you getting?
Old 27-11-2010, 06:47 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
You'll want the rears just above ear level when seated (angled slightly down) and just a bit behind you so that they fire sound more accross the room than back towards the screen. Centre speaker will be beneath the screen angled slightly up, left and right mains should be placed about a foot off the back wall and equidistant from the centre of the screen. The sub can literally be placed anywhere as those sound frequencies are non directional for the most part. You'll gain a few dB by facing the sub into a corner however it will be a bit boomy and not sound the best for music or movies. I would leave it between the screen and one of the main speakers and play with it until you find something you like.

With regards to speaker brackets, any 'worth their salt' audio supplier will have some generic ones you could buy. Better to play around with positioning and won't leave holes in the wall if you move out.
Cool thanks for that. I'll need to get up into the roof & see what cavities there are first to see if I can wall mount them.
Old 27-11-2010, 06:47 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon911 View Post
what jamo pack are you getting?
A102, that's all I can afford really.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home%...er-pack/253876
Old 27-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed View Post

Those will probably have a little keyhole in the back that you can slide over a partially exposed screw out of a rawlplug. http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?...d=65&Itemid=34

Bunnings will have this stuff.

Mark off a drill bit with tape for the length of the plug, drill a hole into the wall, bondcrete the plug in flush with the plaster, screw a screw in 3/4 of the way and hang it off. Like I said, you'll want to experiment a little with positioning so find something you can stand the speaker on like a sideways suitcase or something of similar height You can then do this for the fronts as well unless you've got a massive wide tv cabinet.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:45 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed View Post

if you dont mind me asking, what price did u get em for?
Old 28-11-2010, 10:35 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon911 View Post
if you dont mind me asking, what price did u get em for?
I haven't got them yet, probs today if I get a chance. I'm going to see if they'll price match an internet price (699), I think they have them for 799.
Old 28-11-2010, 09:38 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Sorry to hijack - has anyone done ceiling mount? does it affect sound quality that much (this is for my main family room, so form over function)?

Chasing walls is not an option. I used to have speaker stands but they wont fit in with the new lounges....
Old 28-11-2010, 10:05 PM