Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Work Matters (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/40273-work-matters.html)

Master D 16-02-2011 02:37 PM

Problem ive got though, is i dont particularly agree with alot of what the unions do..... Plus i wouldnt know which industry union to join.... As my trade is a hybrid of 3odd trades haha

Im thinking a good friend with his head screwed on might be the way plus having a chat with cci will
Be the go.

Problem ive got also is morally that i enjoy the work i do and the co workers are great, its just managment couldnt find its way out of a paperbag.

lad 16-02-2011 02:38 PM

So he wants you to squirm about losing your job while you're on holidays - nice bloke. Take this bizarre behaviour as a hint that you should go into business for yourself.

Kato 16-02-2011 02:47 PM

No idea why he wants you to bring a witness. Obviously they have had some past issue with an employee and want a 3rd party to be present in a meeting to back up what is actually said and agreed upon.

There are 2 sides to every story and just picking a few points from your post, you're not completing jobs and taking too long to complete them. That is what they want to discuss. It will be pretty painless, just cop it all on the chin and go away to think about it. You will probably be told to 'do this' and be given a formal warning for not doing your duties or something.

My advice, bringing a union rep in with you will end your career with the company and depending on the industry, end your career completely.

AWDmoke 16-02-2011 02:53 PM

Put your feelers out for another job (easier while you are still working for someone else).

Diarise or make a log of all these jobs you couldn't complete, and the reasons why. Same for late/urgent changes to schedule at the boss's instruction.
Much easier to read or table these at the meeting so you don't get heated & say something you will regret.

Odds are this meeting will be your "formal warning", a precurser to when they decide to get rid of you. Do not argue, but also do not agree with any statements about your performance that you know to be untrue. As you say, take someone level headed with you.

I've been through this many times (from the other side of the desk).
It is good practice to have a witness for each party to prevent misunderstandings, vital to avoid unfair dismissal actions.

Good luck.

tuna 16-02-2011 02:55 PM

do not involve a union!

AWDmoke 16-02-2011 02:55 PM

John beat me to it, but I also agree about the union rep.
That will just muddy the waters.

Soksta 16-02-2011 02:56 PM

Is it illegal to use a recording device in this sort of meeting?
:D

+1 to AWDMoke's post.
Gather & present evidence where possible as to why your having these problems and it doesn't hurt to propose solutions.

Kato 16-02-2011 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=Soksta;536815]Is it illegal to use a recording device in this sort of meeting?
:D

+1 to AWDMoke's post.
Present evidence where possible as to why your having these problems.[/QUOTE]

I believe you need to inform people that they will be recorded.

If you are that worried, slap a recorder on the table at the start. That will ensure people speak 'the truth'. However, doing such things will destroy any relationship that existed. Personally they are last ditch efforts.

Master D 16-02-2011 02:59 PM

Cheers for the help guys.

Kato - i agree with you about the union rep - my industry is a mighty small one, so im a touch hesitant to take this route.

Master D 16-02-2011 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=Soksta;536815]

+1 to AWDMoke's post.
Gather & present evidence where possible as to why your having these problems and it doesn't hurt to propose solutions.[/QUOTE]

I would if i was really quite worried about things, i have made alot of good friends in the industry all of which can/will vouch for my not being a dodgy prick.

If worst comes to worst - 2 phone calls & id be employed.

At this stage of the match - ill bring a friend - sit down, hear them out, voice my opinions/ concerns. If we come to some sort of agreement or understanding - great.
If not walk out knowing that thats business in the big bad world.