Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
Cheers.

Cant question whites commitment to the event....

Here are some before and during photos. Reckons he will be restarting today...

This is it insitu in the bush....

This is it a few hours later.....

Stolen from facebook: '15 minutes worth of phone calls, one team, 6 hours work down! So far, one new headgasket, timing kit, power steering pump, one chassis rail, two front tubs, one radiator support panel, two front guards, a bonnet, two headlights, a front and rear windscreen, a full rear right hand rear suspension assembly, two slabs of red bull, and a whole heap more work left to do. See you tomorrow targa '

Most people wouldnt know but this event is a bit emotional for white and hence the reason to get back out there at any cost in any shape. He buried his old man a week and a half ago after a long battle with cancer and then the day after the funeral his grandad died. Its a very close family and this really was a crusade / tribute to / for his old man. I think there will be a few tears at hobart tonight...

He's certainly doing it very tough at the moment. Good on him for seeing it through.
Very touching story, I can picture the emotion just reading this. Thanks for sharing Brendon.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Vandenberg, with co-driver Dennis Sims, nursed their Nissan GT-R home to victory; a chronically sick engine constantly threatening to end their run to the finish line and their dream of winning the event.

For most of the final day Matt Close was second in his Audi TT RS and ready to pounce should Vandenberg’s engine fail. But the Victorian crashed out on Ellendale, the event’s penultimate stage, allowing the Nissan GT-R to limp to the finish line with a plume of smoke following his failing car.

Targa veteran and past winner, Tony Quinn, finished modern in second place, four minutes 44 seconds behind with Brendon Winterbourn third in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 10.
Well done B!
AWDmoke, RUSSGT, Master D and 1 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Sir AntiLag

beernuts at standard level

Awesome stuff Brendon. Well done mate.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:40 PM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Nice work Brendon bet you are celebrating.

Good to see White gave it his all to finish I'm sure his father and grandfather would be proud looking down on him.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

Such interesting reading. Congrats on the results thus far.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Well done Brendon and copilot
Old 11-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

Finally some mechanical luck, congrats on a awesome result.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM
STI Master

DJDINO at standard level

These updates have been awesome Brendon, really good of you to make the time to do them as it is a great insight into the behind the scenes of Targa Tas.

Congratulations on the result mate, the X saga has paid off in the end.
RUSSGT, Master D and amtrapid like this.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Well what a day! Bearing in mind we were 7 minutes behind quinn and 4 minutes in front of purdey we had it all to lose and nothing to gain today.

The first stage was 30km's. Then about 10km's up queenstown and then 60km's through arrowsmith. Then taraleah which is about 10km's. Then lunch then two more short stage of about 8km's ea.

The way targa works over here is they have base times for each stage and then you get a penalty for every second you go over that. I.e the base time for arrowsmith is 24 minutes or so but given it was wet the fastest time was 26.25. So effectively thet got a 2:25 penalty.... Hypothetically someone could go balls out and do the stage in (for the sake of the argument) do it in 18 minutes. They get absolutely no advantage over the bloke that takes a whole lot less risks and does it in 23:59. Its a good system because on the first day they have the first two stages where the base time is very high. I.e you need to average about 60kph. Mthat means people can take it very easy and make sure the cars are good and they are tuned into the navigator etc.

Basically once we got through arrowsmith all but the last stage was easily cleared. I.e there was nothing to gain by going balls out.....

So we get to lunch and vandenbergs gtr is bellowing white smoke and has zero oil in it. We were sitting in fourth and given it had two stages and over 100km's of liasion i was quietly confident that it wouldnt make it to hobart....

So we go to the next stage (ellendale) which is easily cleared. I.e whoever makes it to lunch in front really only has to make it to hobart and they will win... Someone forgot to tell close that the stage was easily cleared. I havent seen the in car yet but effectively what happened was Close caught kennard with two corners to go. To catch kennard in the dry in 9km's is a prety massive effort. Anyways he went to pass him on the outside and ended up going off. And rolling 8 times into a ravine. Car is totalled. My gut feel is that given vandenburgs problems and that close was 17 secs behind going into lunch close thought he needed to go hard to catch vandenburg. His (relatively) inexperienced nav simply didnt tell close he had nothing to gain by going flat out. End result was he was out and we were up to 3rd. And vandenburgs bunky was still bellowing smoke. We thought we were on for 2nd....

Vandenburgs gtr is fucked. End of story. Two broken rods and a stuffed turbo. So they kept stopping and pouring oil in. Once they run out of oil they were pouring gearbox oil in. The deal is it had to make it to hobart under its own steam. You are not allowed to tow it... So they got their service van and pushed it all the way to hobart. It was 33km's from the last stage to the finish.. They poured 17 litres of oil in it..... The front of the van is stuffed. The back of the gtr is stuffed....

So end result is vandenburg wins, quinn was second and we were 3rd. Given we were 85th after stage 3 on wednesday to say we are stoked is an epic understatement.

Its the first time i have ever gotten to spray champagne and by christ does it feel good. The amount of time, blood sweat, tears and money that has gone into building and maintaining the car has been epic.

Brendon
BLUES, JDM_STYLE, WREX and 19 others like this.
Adrian (13-05-2014), amtrapid (11-05-2014), AWDmoke (12-05-2014), Jeckle (12-05-2014), Master D (12-05-2014), RUSSGT (12-05-2014), TROLLEY (12-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 09:26 PM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

I have been reading your updates as you post them and it has been a fantastic insight into a motorsport event I knew nothing about, thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on the finish, must feel amazing

Tags
build, cz4a, evo, rally, tarmac