Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

A couple of photo have surfaced of some damage...

This is my mates evo x that launched and destroyed his transfer case. We thought it was just the transfer case but in the light of day it turns out it broke the housing for the gearbox and the transfer case. With the panel damage etc and a new gearbox and new transfer he is going to be up for the best part of $20k.

Cant really see a lot but each time i have broken a transfer i just stripped the teeth off the crown wheel.

This is the carnage on the same corner that white went off on.

The car on its side is the new 911 on the Porsche tour. You couldnt see any of this from the road.

Brendon
Old 20-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Holy fuck. That is down right scary.
Old 20-05-2014, 09:01 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

carnage corner is right
Old 11-03-2016, 01:05 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Bump. Getting in early. After a hiatus we are back for another lap of tassie next month. It is the 25th anniversary. There was some talk of ken block and walter rohrl coming over but block is definitely out and havent heard rohrl's name mentioned so i think he will be a no show too.

For those that sort of follow tarmac rally the rules have had a major shake up in an effort to encourage more manufacturers to enter the sport. For the record i think the rules are great if you dont have a car. For those like me that built a car 4 years ago to have to now spend a fortune to make it legal again is a kick in the teeth. Cliff notes for what i have had to do to make it legal again....

Go from e85 to 98 which means smaller turbo etc.
Put in over 150kg's in lead
Lose the hudraulic handbrake
Lose the dual master cylinders and reinstall the standard booster. Then make it non operable so you have a decent pedal.
Install the original handbrake which meant putting all the rear hubs back together.

I have done a heap of other prep to the car.

It has completely new livery.
Had a full respray.
Had all the rims straightened and resprayed

The rules have pissed me off majorly so i was umming and aaahhhing about whether to go or not. This meant i didnt give myself a lot of time to get the car ready. So i cracked the shits. Put it all in a box and sent it to walkdens to get ready. I'll rock up with a race su, helmet and a navigator in a few weeks.

In other news being a sucker for punishment i thought it would be fun to build a second evo x.... The shell has had the same level of prep as the first one, the cage is the second iteration and is nicer than the white car. It is going to paint next week for the cage and then i can start re assembling it. It isnt high on thr priority list but i have all the bits....

Will keep this updated with tassie adventures...

Brendon
Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 AM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff
Default Evo X Tarmac Build

If you're building another evo why not keep your current one 'crazy spec' and build the new one to the new Targa rules?
Wouldn't it have been ready and you didn't want to miss competing in the 25th year?

Can't wait to see pics of new livery on current evo!

Ps: everyone liked the TT updates as you went the last time you were over there. Very cool, please do it again!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:41 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX. View Post
If you're building another evo why not keep your current one 'crazy spec' and build the new one to the new Targa rules?
Wouldn't it have been ready and you didn't want to miss competing in the 25th year?

Can't wait to see pics of new livery on current evo!

Ps: everyone liked the TT updates as you went the last time you were over there. Very cool, please do it again!
Dont ask questions i dont have a good answer too!

Basically the original one didnt fit in any class with the new tarmac rally rules. It is underpowered for street cars at barbagallo. Its too modified for showroom 4wd in targa, its not modified enough for rallysprint. Its too heavy for improved production. I seriously contemplated giving away tarmac and playing on dirt but this car is too nice for someone with my level of gravel experience.... I.e. None.... So... The logic is ths year modify it to fit in modern. Then it isnt a big leap to put it back to showroom. If i had more time i would of liked to have done things like put the heater back in rather than an extra 10kg's of lead....

The 'new one' will be 100% showroom....but with abs....

My logic is two fold..., leave the old one on the east coast and use the 'new' one locally and just punt around and not be competitive on pump fuel. They are very similiar spec except for the reigers. I cant justify two sets so i was going to just ship them across. The other logic is sell them both and buy something else.... With rwd and LOTS of horsepower.... Wont be fast but do lots of skids....

Brendon
baylee, ALEX., Saint_23 and 1 others like this.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:24 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Good luck Brendon...it's good to have the luxury of two cars! I was just thinking the other day about what you might do this year...seeing "Environmental Industries" trucks and gardeners here at FSH reminded me!
Why don't you build Australia's first Focus RS AWD tarmac rally car for showroom...that would be a good project!
Hurtenstein and beernuts like this.
Old 13-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
Why don't you build Australia's first Focus RS AWD tarmac rally car for showroom...that would be a good project!
As awesome as im sure they will be quinn is bringing his huracan for 4wd showroom....

Glynn cant give away his focus rs tarmac car, admitedly it is 2wd.

IF i decide to keep going after this i think i want something with obscene amounts of torque / power and rwd. Will be very interesting to see how pritchard and white get on in their new vipers.

I genuinely looked at buying a porsche cup car and putting gt3 rs badges on it and going in showroom. Would be an easy way to circumvent lct, import duties etc. however the log book clearly states it is not elgible for events with a passenger. Also supposedly the cage is not ideal for the nav to get in and out of. Im not interested in buy a shell locally and swapping everything over.

I want something relatively low tech that i can drive to and from rac etc and not have to spend a mountain of time maintaining. A genuine gt3 porsche would be ideal but i cant afford it....

Brendon
beernuts and Dan [GTI] like this.
Old 14-03-2016, 08:47 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Yeah but I reckon Glynn is/was asking too much for his MkII and I'm not sure that it was any better handling & performance wise than a standard RS!
Mate powerful rear wheel drive that handles...you've pretty well only got a GT3 or GT3 RS....just do some more gardening and you'll be able to afford one!!
You know that tarmac rally, especially TT, is a cheque book sport.....
Old 11-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Ok. Day 1.... Four stages... The first three dont count towards the results and have very easily achievable base times. I.e the speed limits on the roads are 100 or 110. Average 90 kph and you will clean the stage. I.e. If the base time is 4 minutes and you do it in 2 minutes you get zero advantage over the guy that did it in 3:59.

A guy was killed a couple of years ago so they went one step further on the first stage today and put a minimum time in. In this case 2:30. I.e go faster than 2:30 and you get a 1 minute penalty. So for the first stage minimum time 2:30, base time 4 minutes. Just aim for something in the middle. It was something like 5 km's... You get the picture... I think at least 7 people including jason white (who is a pre event favourite) went too fast and copped a 1 minute penalty.

Second stage no minimum time but very achievable base time. Something like 7km and base time of 5 minutes. Need to average 80 odd kph. A father son team in a bmw 2002 had a monumental shitmixer / argument with a tree and lost. Ambulances, broken legs etc. not pretty. Stage got downgraded so no racing.

Stage 3 was about 6 km with a base time of 4 minutes. Had half a go and did 3.22. No problems.

Next is the traditional prologue stage which is effectively a dick measuring contest no dissimiliar to malaga in targa west with heaps of 90 degree corners except it is through the middle of a town and the public come out in their droves... This year it is the first proper timed stage... We were going along fine and bang.... Fucking intercooler hose again.... Made it to the end but dropped 40 seconds... In the scheme of things it could of been far worse but still a major piss off given we have had the exact same problems last time...

Biggest field ever 351 cars....
The sweep car.... Mclaren P1
Lots of classics. 911 for dayz.... So many 71 rs's.

This are the photos of the lead we had to put in the boot. We also put in the 25kg bash plate under the front.

I cant work out how to post photos from high ipad but here is the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/snio3qsmgw...72233.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cdirxlzub...81034.jpg?dl=0

This is the map of tassie with all the stages. Just to give you some idea of how big the event is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdj4y3d4eo...74735.jpg?dl=0
AWDmoke, beernuts, nick73 and 1 others like this.
ALEX. (12-04-2016), Jezza (12-04-2016)

Tags
build, cz4a, evo, rally, tarmac