Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff
Default Fish Tank Setup

So the Mrs wanted a pet, dogs, etc - Not enough space. So she bought a second hand fish tank package for $350. Turns out it all looks pretty good and I have began to somewhat take over this project

Anyway, been doing some reading, and it appears to be a case of art vs science. So just putting it out there for any hints and tips as to how to get a sweet tank setup.

I have a 200L Tank, enclosed stand, filter, airpump, heater, lighting etc so totally good to go from the hardware side of things. I am going to be using freshwater as marine doesn't appear beginner at all.

Substrates etc, initially wanted to do real plants, but this adds complexity - Saw quite a few photo's with fake plants and they actually look pretty good. So unsure whether to get a substrate which will support real plant growth (I think the lights that came with it does)

Other than that - Just wanted to kit it out real nice and get it looking as natural as possible (where the art comes in?) So was curious for any good places in Perth to get good onaments? Logs? etc?

Plan to set up the tank, get it all up and running for a few weeks then add fish. (Get thet tank cycled?)

These are some cool ideas i saw for inspiration:

Cheers
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Sir AntiLag

MadDocker at standard level

Check out Perth Cichlid Society Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board) Heaps of info in there to read up on.

Here is my tank at the moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKUt1LiiQiU

I think plants can get pretty difficult for a novice, fertilisers, lighting, substrate etc.

The set-up really depends on what kind of fish you will be keeping. Cichilds like high PH so you will need limestone/holy rock or crushed limestone substrate to buffer the water. Other fish like low PH and need lots of wood etc.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM

RichX knows their stuff

Nice one - yeah was going cichilds, good to know re: pH levels - in regard to rock/wood - Looks like I will be going for the rock look rather than wood, that helps to make that decision.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Sir AntiLag

I'm no expert but can try help if you need anything. I have done a fair bit of reading and my fish are going alright at the moment so that's something haha.

That PCS forum has heaps of info on caring for cichlids, you should be able to find pretty much everything you need there.

This link rift-lake-cichlids/ gives a brief run down of what cichlids like in regards to water, food etc (there are other good articles in the advice section also) and this one Cichlids - Aquarium Industries gives some care sheets on some of the more common types.

End of the day, if you set the tank up right, have good filtration & do your regular water changes you'll be laughing. They are pretty hardy & easy to look after.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 AM

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

I am picking up a second hand tank on Saturday. Going to get back into the fish tank thing... I've been wanting one for a while, since I got rid of my last 6ft one. I want it to be low maintanece though this time, so I will be going simple.

Tossing up between salt water and tropical...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM

RichX knows their stuff

Do you know any really good fish/aquarium places in Perth?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Vebas in o'Connor.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Sir AntiLag

I like Aquotix & Vebas for fish. Rock & stuff you can either collect near the beach or buy second hand. Fish shops are a rip for rocks ($4.50ish a kg for Texas Holy and that shit is heavy). Limestone is all over the coast, just dont pick it up from the roadside, go further in because sometimes the councils spray along the roadside with chemicals which will kill your fish.

Don't you work near/in the Swan Brewery? Aquotix is just on Bannister road so nice and close. They have a decent range of fish & the staff are helpful. Will bring stuff in for you as well if you're keen and ask them.

Vebas is pretty awesome, huge range and staff know their stuff. Get some really nice fish there.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KouNtS_UtM View Post

Don't you work near/in the Swan Brewery? Aquotix is just on Bannister road so nice and close. They have a decent range of fish & the staff are helpful. Will bring stuff in for you as well if you're keen and ask them.
Awesome - Yeah Swan Brewery. Thanks for that
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
I am picking up a second hand tank on Saturday. Going to get back into the fish tank thing... I've been wanting one for a while, since I got rid of my last 6ft one. I want it to be low maintenance though this time, so I will be going simple.

Tossing up between salt water and tropical...
Low maintenance and salt water are mutually exclusive Kym.

20 years of running fish tanks and I would not consider a marine tank but I am at the end of the tank ownership desire.

Best advice I can give is:

Regular and consistent water changes.
Log the tank parameters and your chemical regime.
Bigger the better - easier to stabilise / keep stable.
Trickle filters > cannister filters per $ cost.
If aiming for plants set up substrate to suit - too hard to change later as it involves emptying the tank.
Single breed tanks are easier to get to breed / survive.

Best tank setup I ever had involved 30 odd discuss and plants in a 1000l tank. Included CO2 injection which suited the low Ph discus. The discus are spectacular and profitable if you can get them to breed / grow well. Discus are not for a beginner though. Discus are extremely smart and friendly and I could hand feed some of them. I had three tanks at this stage.

Not my tank but a good example.

I'm down to one three foot with a single large Golden Severum named "apu". Used to be a community tank but Apu ate all his neighbours ;( He started out at less than an inch long and now he must be close to a 10" in length. He's about 8 years old.

Have always used Vebas as closest to my house in Mexico.

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 03-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Tags
fish, setup, tank