Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Connecticut shooting (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/52310-connecticut-shooting.html)

safe 15-12-2012 09:22 AM

Connecticut shooting

What a tragic day in Connecticut.
It is time that the US had a big think again about their gun legislation.
I know that the NRA and other groups will protest strongly about their constitutional right to bear arms.
It is time for a change. I am sure it will take many years for any change to have effect due to the amount of guns already out there but they can limit the amount of new guns and the style of weapons sold. I am sure you don't need a milspec assault rifle to go squirrel hunting.

Rant ended.

My thoughts go out to the families involved.

steve-lang 15-12-2012 09:44 AM

As a recreational shooter, my stance is we should have the right to "bear arms" however hand guns, semi/auto weapons should be in a class of they're own, similar to how it is here.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, just guns make it easier.

Rip to all those lives that were taken so early.

Tony 15-12-2012 10:00 AM

Take away the guns and they will still find ways of doing this. It America, they are fucked. Everyone needs to stop being so narrow minded and look at the bigger picture.

safe 15-12-2012 11:16 AM

@ Steve
I have no problems with gun owners or rec shooters. In fact myself and a mate are looking to join a pistol club. I was impressed with the amount of training and time it takes here to obtain a license and a weapon.

@ Tony
Agreed if not guns then knives or bats etc etc.
The big picture is gun reform for the US and countries with the same laws.
That does not mean knee jerk reactions to appease the media but sustainable laws that take into account the views and needs of all.

Hunting and target shooting are legitimate sports.
Guns for home defense...not warranted in Aust in [U]my opinion [/U].
There just needs to be a middle ground.

All responses welcomed.

Tony 15-12-2012 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=safe;727240]@ Steve
I have no problems with gun owners or rec shooters. In fact myself and a mate are looking to join a pistol club. I was impressed with the amount of training and time it takes here to obtain a license and a weapon.

@ Tony
Agreed if not guns then knives or bats etc etc.
The big picture is gun reform for the US and countries with the same laws.
That does not mean knee jerk reactions to appease the media but sustainable laws that take into account the views and needs of all.

Hunting and target shooting are legitimate sports.
Guns for home defense...not warranted in Aust in [U]my opinion [/U].
There just needs to be a middle ground.

All responses welcomed.[/QUOTE]

Thats still not the bigger picture. Gun re-form and all that crap is just something that has been stirred up by the media alienating everyone who reads the news etc. They need to look at why people are doing this in America and no where else that has similar gun laws.

the big picture is more along the lines of what makes american people decide to mass murder groups of innocent people? guns are just their tools. anything to do with gun laws is a knee jerk to the bigger problem that seems to plague america. Maybe its all that crap food they eat?

Master D 15-12-2012 11:43 AM

Obama will do something.

The time for change is now USA.
All i know is that i dont want my daughter to have to sit and learn an emergency drill where they know what to do when a shooter comes into the school

safe 15-12-2012 12:00 PM

Not going to disagree with you Tony as far as needing to find out the reasoning behind these events.

Really any gun reform law is a knee jerk reaction ??
I believe that reform entails researching the whole matter including all you have mentioned.

I am not trying to pick arguments here...I was horrified at the shooting and posted up my view.
Not saying it is the only view.

wawa 15-12-2012 02:25 PM

Rest in Peace to those who lost their lives in this tragedy. Police are now alleging one of the victims was the perpetrator's mother - a kindergarten teacher at Sandy Hook.

Something needs to change in the US, mass shootings don't occur with this frequency in other countries with lax gun laws. All the violence in the media from the US makes me never want to visit there and makes me fear for the safety of family over there. I can't even begin to imagine the fear parents over there must have on a daily basis sending their kids to school.

b32 15-12-2012 10:30 PM

Yesterday, on the same day of the mass killing of children by a mentally unstable gunman in the USA, in China, another mentally unstable man goes berserk outside a school house in central China. Wielding a knife, he stabbed 22 children and one adult.

0 deaths.

safe 16-12-2012 12:05 AM

Oh shit...Not a good day at all :(