Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Sign me up!
From one V8 to another!

jasonmurray at standard level

Its the old cliche, you always have to compare apples to apples and ascertain which policy is best suited to your current situation.

TEAM オレンジ

Dyno queen
Old 18-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

just got my policy renewal from aia ... its gone up about $50 per month... needless to say my fin. adviser got a colourful txt message & was calling me 5min later

you gotta watch out i recon, insurance companys all take you for a ride wherever possible, you end up spending so much on insurance you have no monies left to do anything worth insuring yourself for
Old 19-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Big Chris at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
^
Can be costly dependent upon superfund structure.

The trick is to avoid paying for same coverage when looking at policies.
Agreed.
Talking of life insurance combined with super - a couple of years ago my wife had a notice from her super fund (GESB/Westate - Govt employees, she works in a school) advising they were now including life insurance as part of the policy. It was quite difficult to read/understand the "spin", but when I looked closely, it was an AUTOMATIC deduction and you had to OPT OUT if you did not want the new insurance! As it was, my wife was on a lowish salary and the life insurance premiums would have eaten up a big proportion of her super contributions, so we opted out, with the usual forms, etc, to complete, a complete PIA.

My beef with this was the automatic assumption that you wanted life insurance premiums deducted. I thought they should have offered the service and asked if you wanted to OPT IN. As it was not put in a simple, easy to understand, notice, I believe there will be many members of that fund paying life insurance premiums without even being aware of it. No problem if you want it anyway, but as per mARC's quote above, you may be duplicating your cover, and the premium cost will definitely be eating away your superannuation contribution and investment.

My past employer (I am now retired) used a big super fund which also included life insurance premiums, but after the initial backlash from staff about this, the company reimbursed the fund each month so we had life insurance without it affecting our super investments (which was very good of them, I must say).

So I do suggest that everyone should look at their super fund to check if insurance premiums are being deducted, and make their decision from there as to whether it is a good or a bad thing for their situation.

Cheers.

Tags
insurance, life, recommendations