Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

DEDLYWEPN at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
I'm guessing you mean Southbank area...
South wharf area around DFO is a dead zone, and you're not within walking distance of anything.
No idea bud, only been there once for an overnight work trip. Pretty much decided on the Hilton South Wharf - Melbourne Hotels | Hilton Melbourne South Wharf hotel | Melbourne, VIC
RJ999 likes this.

FOR SALE - [MY REXTC] - Custom Polycarb Plates - PM Me

Last edited by DEDLYWEPN; 25-03-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 25-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Hotel is nice...
Not sure if you're a Melbourne first timer or not, but I'm going to share as much info as I can anyway, don't take this the wrong way as I'm just trying to help you make an informed decision in case you don't know the area well.

It was just an fyi so you know that from the Hilton, or South Wharf, to get to central part of Melbs say Flinders station/Fed square, you're looking at least at 10mins walk across Seafarers bridge and then crossing that big road/highway entrance, then catching the tram with about 6 stops.
South Wharf around that hotel is quite dead, honestly you'll be able to count the number of people you see walk around in a day.

DFO(direct factory outlet) is pretty much the only shopping around there and it's Melbourne's equivalent of Perth's Harbour Town if you see what I mean(crap that doesn't sell and only good for sportswear). Restaurant/bars at South Wharf between DFO along the river to the Hilton are very empty and don't do well at all.

The only plus is that you'll be about 10mins walk to the Crown, but that's good if you plan to spend most of your time at the Crown only and not see what the rest of Melbourne has to offer. Around the crown is good with a few expensive designer shops and restaurant options with a few affordable ones then the rest very expensive(but amazing!).

I personally would stay in Southbank(East side of Crown complex) if I really wanted to be close to the Crown, it's a much more lively part with many more food/drink/entertainment options around as well as being 5mins walk to the Crown and 5mins walk to Fed Square/cbd. Otherwise around Collins street in the cbd would be another option.

South Wharf and Docklands are areas that aren't doing well in terms of human traffic/good business, specially Docklands stay away...
Go to Melbourne regularly if you're wondering....my 2 cents (more like 5 cents based on length of this post)...

Last edited by RJ999; 26-03-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: paragraphs
The Following User Says Thank You to RJ999 For This Useful Post:
DEDLYWEPN (26-03-2014)
Old 26-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

DEDLYWEPN at standard level

Thanks mate, very helpful post as I've only ever been to Melbourne once for a work meeting!
RJ999 likes this.

FOR SALE - [MY REXTC] - Custom Polycarb Plates - PM Me

Tags
accommodation, melbourne, recommendations