Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru
Default New TV. What should I get??

Hey guys,

Looking at getting a new tv. Don't want bigger than about 55" I think. Budget around $1000. What do you recommend?

Also any recommendations on sound bars? Want a decent one with sub.

Please help!!

http://kap.industries/
Old 17-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Scoobie Noobie

joel97 at standard level

Sonos sound bars are pretty good, and their subs are also good.
We have a sound bar, 4 docks and a sub in my house and I honestly think its the best sound system i've heard for a house haha.
The only thing is they're pretty pricey, think its 2k for the sound bar and the sub as they dont come together, and the subs pretty big...
But as for tv's wait for boxing day sales if you can as I know JB Hi-Fi always do good deals on tv's on boxing day.
RUSSGT likes this.
Old 17-12-2015, 03:33 PM

Thanks man!

Old 17-12-2015, 04:56 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Goosey at standard level

Might be worth checking out Dick Smith's clearance in case there is something good that isn't advertised. You may be able to get a bargain.

Sent from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime
Old 17-12-2015, 07:10 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

For under $1000 the TCL 4K screens are very good.
Old 18-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Scoobie Noobie

QRSTUVWRX at standard level

It may be obvious, but the best looking one you can afford.

When I bought my TV 3 or so years ago, I wanted a full HD (1080) plasma because of the contrast between colours and blacks were great, 51" because of the size of the room, basic (non-smart) tv because I was hooking up a home theater PC to it and won't require internet, YT, etc and finally it had to be full HD. I ended up buying a Samsung PS51E531A6M for JBs.

I would recommend, depending on what type of TV you watch (movies, sport, cartoons, gaming), it will influence what type of TV you might buy, however I think with most new LCD/LED technologies, these now rival plasma's contrast benchmarks. I am not even sure if they still developing plasmas?

I would then ask the question if you want a smart TV or a plain old dumb one. If you have a game console, this may do all the same things as a smart TV, however I think using a controller may get tedious. I think you may be able to plug a keyboard via USB (maybe wireless) into a console and it would work. Has anyone tried this?

When comparing TVs, I like to look at; nature documentaries because of the vibrant colours they can have, dark dramas to compare blacks and greys and action movies to compare how clear (lack of blur) they are (thinking of Transformers).

Lastly, I would try and buy a TV with the highest refresh rate that is measured is Hertz (Hz). This is essentially how many frames are shown in 1 second (Frames Per Second - fps). Most games these days (on console) are 30fps and are now pushing into 60fps territory. PC rigs can exceed 100fps and is one of the reasons people tend to play games on PC.

Below are some reference text taken from some of my favourite tech based websites;
Best TV 2015: what TV should you buy?: Buying a new TV - what you need to know | TechRadar
Buying a TV in 2015? Here Are 11 Things You Should Know
HD TV 2015 Buying Guide: Sony, LG, Samsung And Panasonic | Lifehacker Australia
TV Buying Guide 2015 - CNET

Good luck in finding a good TV that suits your needs.
Old 18-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Sir AntiLag

Adam86 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adam86

russ,
tv
look at the hertz as previously mentioned above.... fastest refresh time, the better the picture as a good rule of thumb.

sound bars
i did extensive research a few years back when i was looking for one. i ended up with one from polk audio... i think it was called the polk9000. very good sound for both tv and movies. while it doesn't have bluetooth it was not something i was after at the time.
Old 18-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff

Love my Yamaha sound bar, really good bang for buck!
Old 18-12-2015, 10:54 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Goosey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRSTUVWRX View Post
It may be obvious, but the best looking one you can afford.

When I bought my TV 3 or so years ago, I wanted a full HD (1080) plasma because of the contrast between colours and blacks were great, 51" because of the size of the room, basic (non-smart) tv because I was hooking up a home theater PC to it and won't require internet, YT, etc and finally it had to be full HD. I ended up buying a Samsung PS51E531A6M for JBs.

I would recommend, depending on what type of TV you watch (movies, sport, cartoons, gaming), it will influence what type of TV you might buy, however I think with most new LCD/LED technologies, these now rival plasma's contrast benchmarks. I am not even sure if they still developing plasmas?

I would then ask the question if you want a smart TV or a plain old dumb one. If you have a game console, this may do all the same things as a smart TV, however I think using a controller may get tedious. I think you may be able to plug a keyboard via USB (maybe wireless) into a console and it would work. Has anyone tried this?

When comparing TVs, I like to look at; nature documentaries because of the vibrant colours they can have, dark dramas to compare blacks and greys and action movies to compare how clear (lack of blur) they are (thinking of Transformers).

Lastly, I would try and buy a TV with the highest refresh rate that is measured is Hertz (Hz). This is essentially how many frames are shown in 1 second (Frames Per Second - fps). Most games these days (on console) are 30fps and are now pushing into 60fps territory. PC rigs can exceed 100fps and is one of the reasons people tend to play games on PC.

Below are some reference text taken from some of my favourite tech based websites;
Best TV 2015: what TV should you buy?: Buying a new TV - what you need to know | TechRadar
Buying a TV in 2015? Here Are 11 Things You Should Know
HD TV 2015 Buying Guide: Sony, LG, Samsung And Panasonic | Lifehacker Australia
TV Buying Guide 2015 - CNET

Good luck in finding a good TV that suits your needs.
I believe all manufactures have given up on plasma, including Panasonic, who were the last ones making them when I left audio visual sales a few years back.

Something we noticed on the sales floor was that on pretty much every TV with 100 or 200hz capabilities, the feature was turned off, and it produced a very weird, unnatural effect on the picture flow when we switched it on. Gaming monitors appear to work slightly differently to tvs, and console games cap framerates anyway.

Soundbars work incredibly well in a square shaped room for the "virtual surround" as they call it, but for open plan, it leaves a bit to be desired, especially with mid-range frequencies. (although, the technology may have improved significantly since back then).

Most modern tvs, even the cheaper brands like hisense, TCL and soniq (JB Hifi home brand) produce an amazing picture when you compare with those from even 4-5 years ago. What a lot of people forget is, when they take their TV home, they aren't comparing it side-by-side with a more expensive model, so even a TV with a slightly lower picture quality in store, will look great at home, but don't let that put you off the one you like the picture of.

Good luck with your purchase!

Sent from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime
GTB Liberty and QRSTUVWRX like this.

Last edited by Goosey; 18-12-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 18-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Thanks guys!!

Tags
tv