Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree320Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Is this legit or hoax? If legit is it something that could be used in cars that are stripped down with little or no parasitic drain.

Seen this a long time ago, the SLA battery he's using as backup weighs a lot more than a lithium battery, and the price of the super caps is more than a battery costs.....so i don't know what the point to doing this is !

...Apart from the fact also that in a lot of cars the battery is used a regulator to the charging system(so needs to be there) and the SLA hes using now is in no way rated to handle some charging conditions etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to GTLeggy For This Useful Post:
nick73 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:15 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

This is the battery i put in my car. You can see the sort of wieght savings that are possible.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeggy View Post
Seen this a long time ago, the SLA battery he's using as backup weighs a lot more than a lithium battery, and the price of the super caps is more than a battery costs.....so i don't know what the point to doing this is !

...Apart from the fact also that in a lot of cars the battery is used a regulator to the charging system(so needs to be there) and the SLA hes using now is in no way rated to handle some charging conditions etc.
[QUOTE=Bram;853765]This is the battery i put in my car. You can see the sort of wieght savings that are possible.

Yeah I was curious about this for the maintenance factor ie, not having to replace a battery every 2-3 years would be nice.

Bram do you think your lithium battery set up would work with a car like my betty that only gets driven twice a week?

I already use an agm type jet ski battery that requires trickle charging all the time to keep it strong, so I have no problem with doing the same on the next battery if it is smaller and lighter like your lithium jobbie.

Cheers fellas.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:33 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Lithium batteries arent too expensive these days. They cost similar to what AGM cost a decade or 2 ago.

I cant speak for reliability in a street car yet, as i just havent seen enough of them to comment. Although i cant see there being an issue provided they are sized right. Lithium batteries in power tools and consumer electronics are very reliable these days.

The only thing i can see as a potential issue, is the charging current. The battery i bought was a motorcycle battery. And generally speaking, MCs have a smaller charging system than a modern car. Too small a battery, and then having it discharged, then running the car could push to many amps into it. If it always remains charged, then the system voltage will be high while running and the alternator reg will limit output. So general running in theory, should be fine.

You can buy car specific lithium batteries but they cost a bit more than MC ones. They have additional electronics inside them for cell balancing and current control i believe.

On a race car that does little KMs. And has multiple large fuel pumps to eat up power from the alternator, then I cant see a MC lithium battery causing any issues.
nick73 (02-01-2019)

Tags
movies, thread, youtube