Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Flat Four Father

mr_psi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to mr_psi
Default 4wheeler... whos got one?

i am gonna be buyin one for the summer...

need some insight as to wether to get 4stroke 2 stroke

whats the diff?

and whats a good brand as i am prob gonna buy second hand?

thanks
mark
Old 27-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Subaru Tech Division

joey89 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to joey89

You dont want a 4 wheeler for summer dude!

Jetskis are where it is at

We have 2 seadoos and i have been on several 4 wheelers and i must say jetskiing is a hell of alot more fun!

But end of day ATVs are alot of fun also they are more for winter though!
Old 27-09-2006, 11:25 PM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

agreed, 4 wheelers for the winter.... but a dirt bike is more fun and more dynamic

www.lumensphotography.com
Old 27-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Flat Four Father

mr_psi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to mr_psi

yer i rekon u can still have some fun in the summer with it.... for ocean wise u cant get any better being on shore with a girl with fantastic jugs on her right next to ya :P
Old 28-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Sir AntiLag

*Stockers* at standard level

There is nothing better than bashin around on a two stroke, quad or bike. Bored out pro-ed up yamaha banshee FTW!

Honestly, if you wanna go for longer rides take the four stroke. For fun go two all the way (and you can still get a decent ride out of a tank). Love the banshee, slammin around the bushtrack with no traction at the back. Best times ever. Also paddle tyres on the beach or lancelin great times. Jon out.
Old 28-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

L series + rs liberty motor
Old 28-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Banshee's are great, definitely my favourite quad, but they arent perfect for a first timer looking at getting into ATVs.

They are 2 stroke, which means slightly more maintenance, and you have to warm them up carefully if you want them to last. I've seen Banshee's which have had the pistons seize in the bores, because they were thrashed before they were warmed up properly!

Banshee's can be made to go faster than ANY quad, but of course this costs big money...you can easily spend 10-15k modifying a quad, and then some! A basic tuned pipe will help you get more speed out of it, without breaking the bank.

If you want to go fast, have lots of torque and some reliability, you cant look past a decent 4 stroke quad. The Yamaha Raptor 350 is a great one to start with, it has heaps of torque and its still pretty quick. Very reliable, and it handles nicely.

Honda TRX400EX, Kawasaki KFX400 or Suzuki LTZ400 are the next step up from the 350cc Raptor. More power, great handling, and of course a bit more cost. These are the best all rounders IMHO.

If you want to step up from there, you can go to a race quad such as the Yam YFZ450, or a Honda TRX450R. Stock vs Stock, or lightly modded vs lightly modded, these will be about as quick as the Banshee, but dont expect too much change out of 13 grand for one of them. They have trick components such as 5 valve heads, fully adjustable coilover suspension, light weight components, etc, because they are made for going flat out...and the price reflects that.

The big gun of the ATV world is the Kawasaki KFX700, or Yamaha Raptor 700R (or 660 if you buy 2nd hand). These are big bikes, cost as much as the 450s, and have stupid amounts of power and torque. Recommended if your experienced on quads, or are a fat bastard who needs the power to get you moving (kinda like me)

My recommendation is to buy a 2nd hand one...you can find quads that have been used for about a year, then traded in...or check the Quokka. You'll save thousands buying a 2nd hand one, but just make sure you get it checked out before hand to make sure your not buying something thats got a stuffed motor, or one thats been in a big crash.

Last edited by BALISTC; 28-09-2006 at 07:29 AM.

Tags
4wheeler