Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I love electric cars like the Telsa and have been following their development for years. Really shows that we don't need petrol to create an affordable, real electric sports car.

The hybrid pieces of poo that are out at the moment are just to create a warm fuzzy feeling in people... and to reinforce that petrol cars are faster.

Now to all you narrow minded 'greenies' who think our power stations pollute more than running a car, take a look at the whole environmental impact of getting that fuel to your car as well as burning it off in your car. Also we have an abundance of electrical energy to use, if Western Power would get off its ass and sort it's problems out.

P.S. Fuck nuclear - it is not the future. It is just a bandaid solution everyone is jumping on the bandwagon for at the moment. There are plenty of other energy methods and if Australia wants to be the 'clever country' still we should be researching them and not looking for the cheap way out. /end rant
Old 30-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

You all seem to have missed the option of installing a fairly well sized solar setup on your roof. All your household power and your car then polute absolutly zip.

Ok it's not cheep to set up but when you now basicaly have your power and car run for nothing it looks a lot more viable.

You just need to consider weather to go for a storage setup or 'SELL' excess to synergy through the day and draw off the grid at night. Pretty sure the wouldn't pay anywhere as much as they charge but is the simpler system.
Old 30-01-2008, 09:57 AM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

lol theyre building a new pipeline from karratha right now, with another planned
Old 30-01-2008, 10:27 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

e-rex-shon at standard level

I think people forget that Nuclear is a very expensive proposition, requires very careful maintainence, huge amounts of cooling water and produces highly dangerous waste which takes a vast amount of time to decay. Exactly where to store this waste is a difficult issue.

In all the recent studies done nuclear looks to be economically unviable, just too expensive and not popular with the voters.

I love the look of a good wind farm and find the whoosh whoosh noise quite soothing along with the sound of a Tesla charging in my garage!
Old 30-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobz
Very interesting. Many people love the idea of a fully electric car. No emissions.

But are we forgetting something here... Where does the electricity come from ?
In Perth it is a coal fired powerstation. Many people argue that the crap it
puts out is worse than petrol. So until we have a cleaner way of generating
electricity are we fixing anything ?

Granted, areas with things like hydro and wind generation it is a big plus,
but do you really want the govt to build a nuclear power station just outside
perth to satisify the electricity hungry cars of the future ?

Flame suit on

nuclear power is clean power... have a look of how much land in W.A alone is non-inhabtiable then add the rest of australia...

Why waste such a good resource..
Old 30-01-2008, 10:49 AM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

I like that tesla thing - early days and got me thinking about what will be achieved in 50 years..

To nuke or not to nuke....well im divided and can see both sides of the argument. That being said, in my hometown of Wellington NZ, a major wind farm has just been approved after years of retarded activists slowing down the legal process.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4379611a6000.html

Happy Days
Old 30-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

I really wonder about 'activists' and wind farms, isnt the usual argument that birds fly into the blades? The losses cant be that great. And I would also bet they are really just big oil reps.

In other news they've just figured out a way to get 10x the capacity from batteries so these cars will be able to go 10x faster, or further or have 10x less mass of battery or some combination shortly.

Hydrogen is the real threat to the consumer and the world - as its the worst option but the big oils are pushing it because it keeps us relying on them to supply something.
Old 30-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

As soon as i get my feet planted in the ground and stop moving every 6 months, i am going down the solar path.
It's always been on my list of things to do, just not practical when i'm always up and moving.
Not only is it free power, but I'd get great pleasure at being the only one in the street with lights still on during blackouts. =)
Old 30-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Scoobie Noobie

nightrider at standard level

compressed air car is also a goer.

http://www.theaircar.com/
Old 30-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

It's not a question of pollution anymore... yes, we've developed very clever means of looking after byproducts and waste- Nuclear power is stupid because like oil and gas, it is finite. It still draws off the notion that we can just keep digging holes in our earth like there's no tomorrow and then leave it to future generations to sort it out. Renewable resources are the latest buzzword, because they are just that- renewable!

Look at all the fuckups and setbacks in the evolution of the internal combustion engine... now imagine if engineers and inventors kept persisting with renewable technologies and where we might be...?!

PS- Tesla designed many incredible inventions based on electro-magnetic theory. ALL of these were naturally based- with perhaps the only byproducts being ozone! Tesla also never invented for personal gain.
On the eve of Einstein exploring the splitting of atoms it was Nikola Tesla who wrote a heartfelt plea to Eisntein begging him to cease further research into this area because it was 'unatural'. This letter is still on record.

Last edited by subarooboy; 30-01-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Tags
car, electric, tesla