Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

I'm 5'8, so if you're 5'10 or over you'll need a large I'd say.
Old 18-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

brad270 at standard level

Shit that's no good, I'm probably close to 6'2
Old 18-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Cavs at standard level

Depending on where you are, I would recommend Georges Bike Shop in Willeton - Augusta St (just off High Rd) or AvantiPlus in Cannington (Albany highway near Carousel)

For accessories or Giant Bikes, definately Georges but AvantiPlus has a much larger range of bikes (like Scott, Specialized, Avanti)
Old 18-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level

I'm just over 6'2" and I take an XL size bike with the saddle up fairly high. Definitely recommend a proper fitting.

I ride at least 20km every day, with a lot more the weekend. Riding on my XL size hybrid is like floating along compared to the knees-in-the-air peddling I get on a smaller bike.
Old 18-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Sethor at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Sethor Send a message via MSN to Sethor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad270 View Post
Shit that's no good, I'm probably close to 6'2
I'd say you will need a XL, make sure you shop around prices vary greatly between bike stores in Perth. My preferred local shop is Cyclerama in Cannington, but I shop mainly online on www.wiggle.co.uk which are great for accessories & even bikes they have free delivery to Australia for orders over $82.50 (takes less than a week to arrive, excludes bikes & frames) just ordered a Giant Seek 1 for AUD$880 delivered somewhat cheaper than the $1499 RRP here.
Old 18-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Sir AntiLag

rstasy at standard level

Come see me at The Bicycle Entrepreneur in Nedlands in 2 weeks time if you can wait up! (on a Saturday)

I'll get your saddle height worked out properly; and work out a price considerably cheaper than RRP

The Giant Seek 1 is an excellent piece of kit - but more of a cross urban bike; mountain bike geometry + gearing; but with a 700C rim and 35C slick tyre. We're Giant's biggest customer in Perth, we can get stuff in alot faster than any other retailer.

If you're looking at XC - better off getting an Anthem or a Trance. An XTC (Giant's competitive level hardtail MTB) would do the job too - especially if you're riding to work during the week (attain some 26" slicks to swap up during weekdays); and then use the factory tyres it comes with if you want to be a bit more adventurous on the weekend.

Keep in mind you really want to veer away from a dual suspension bike if you're going to be doing a large amount of on-road riding; as you get what we classify as 'rider induced bobbing' - which is self explanatory. As you pedal, the rear end moves around - throwing alot of energy exerted into the crankset out the window, subsequently reducing pedaling efficiency.

A rigid rear end is more than capable of doing most XC stuff. You may even find it alot easier on less-technical sections than someone on a dual suspension bike. The only downside is that a hardtail typically doesn't have independent rear braking, and you'll find going down an incline - your rear end will bop up as you throw the gyroscopic effect of the rear wheel out when you are tapping your brakes.

If you're planning on doing steep inclines and jumps - you probably want something with dual suspension with atleast 4" travel in the rear (Giant Anthem). Giant's suspension technology (MAESTRO) also features independent rear braking; which keeps the rear wheel flush with the ground regardless of whether the brake is being applied, or not.

Giant bikes are without doubt the best value for money bicycle on the market.

I can do Avanti, Specialized, Pivot, Santa Cruz, Scott, Norco, and others I can't remember off the top of my head. But you typically pay a far heftier premium for such.

Just hit us up with a PM and I can have a wee chat

Cheers!

Last edited by rstasy; 18-11-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Tags
bike, mountain