Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-2007, 01:13 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

EvilCabbage at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts17
Harden up princess !
Got nothing to do with 'hardening up' Suzie, a lot of people just aren't in the situation to take that kind of all-or-nothing gamble with their income. If it works for you, fan-fucking-tastic, you're in the minority.
Old 20-01-2007, 07:52 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCabbage
So, short term jobs, bullshit long hours, paying shit-tonnes in tax and working in woeful environments.

Try maintaining that for anything remotely long term, let me know how you go.

Long term staff position, 48 hour week (8/6 roster)....yes we pay a lot in tax but thats the f'ked tax system, not the job. Rather pay lots of tax than earn f'kall.

Woefull environments...office with aircon, twin 21" lcd screens on work PC, pool, gym, tennis court, basketball court, pub, foxtel at camp. Pretty woeful.

Job maket pretty difficult for geo's at the moment with UG/PIT/Exploration & Resource experince >4 yrs - not.
Old 20-01-2007, 07:58 AM
STI Master

feral at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigebo
not security mate.. process control

an image of homer simpson comes to mind
i know your mate , used to be on here think blackwrx did the stp course with him at the vines
Old 20-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Scoobie Noobie

scotts17 at standard level
Default Soft

Gamble with your income, minority ????
What the fuk does that mean,
There are that many jobs its not funny,
If you are scared about job security get a job with coles stacking shelves, thats solid.

Good luck !

Last edited by scotts17; 20-01-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 20-01-2007, 09:18 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Köura at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmx_rider
Long term staff position, 48 hour week (8/6 roster)....yes we pay a lot in tax but thats the f'ked tax system, not the job. Rather pay lots of tax than earn f'kall.

Woefull environments...office with aircon, twin 21" lcd screens on work PC, pool, gym, tennis court, basketball court, pub, foxtel at camp. Pretty woeful.

Job maket pretty difficult for geo's at the moment with UG/PIT/Exploration & Resource experince >4 yrs - not.
Even grads have shit loads of oppurtunities Richy. Check out seek , 400 hits for just geo's.

There are a lot of opportunities for people without experience too. We currently need 2 surface fieldies and 2 underground fieldies. I can't offer the positions because (our) new HR rules are that we can't bring people in, HR has to go through a recruiter. That may be the case with a lot of big companies. Just go see a recruiter if you're interested. Recruiter for fieldies and geo's here .

As far as keeping interested and job quality is concerned, the industry is so desperate you get so much training and experience very quickly. I've been doing a fair bit of underground work recently and can't get enough of it. Big machines and a tad dangerous to keep it interesting.

Companies are spending a lot on research at the moment too. I'm involved in an underground 3d structural project starting soon...nothing woeful about that!
Old 20-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Sir AntiLag

scooby99 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to scooby99

Think you guys are missing the point of the first post

Non experinced dude wanting mine work. Firstly HR license will help. Makes your selection and chances alot easier. Forklift too if your wanting Field/Trade assistant job. Shot crew offsider is a good job but need experience even as a fieldy for about 6 months.

He's not going to earn 121k a year first up. $20 - $25 an hour doing fieldy work, 12 hour days. You gotta build up expereince to move about and earn more. Most Drillers offsider postions are in remote places .... so you camp and cook your own food. Yeah you get paid more but i prefer a bed. Try and get to a decent mine site as well, few crappy ones out there and makes your time more Difficault. I spent abit of time in Telfer .... place is pretty good. Thunder Box outside of Kal isnt too bad. Stay away from birla Nifty ...... did a short contract there and if the flight there wasnt enough the to make me sick the chef's cooking was!!!

Like Mat said yeah its good money but when your working 84 hour weeks it better be.

As for recruiting, i went through both Hays and Works infrastructure. Both have web sites and had no trouble getting jobs offered.

my 2c
Old 20-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Scoobie Noobie

scotts17 at standard level
Default Mining

All I can say is, give it a go, its no bed of roses but the money is pretty good.
Get in contact with a few recruiters.
When you get in give it a good go, give yourself 12 months
Yes its a pain in the ass when the alarm goes off at 0500 for 14 days straight, but just think of the $$$ you are saving not being at home, food, 98ron, elec, gas, speeding tickets and the list goes on.
That shit's worth 10k
Dont take any money up there as you will be in the bar pissing it up the.

Good Luck

Last edited by scotts17; 20-01-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 20-01-2007, 09:56 AM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby99
I spent abit of time in Telfer .... place is pretty good.
When were you up in telfer?
I've been there for last 3 yrs
Old 20-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Sir AntiLag

dan.r.s at standard level
Send a message via MSN to dan.r.s

thanks everyone.. yeah as scooby99 said, i have no experience... but thanks to everyone who pm'd me i will let you all know how i go.
Old 20-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

I just had a brainwave

Your looking for work and employers are looking for workers to go to Congo! Win win situation

I dont think the no experience thing is that big a deal these days in a lot of industries. Reliable and willing people are, however!

Tags
connections, mining, oppurtunity