Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > RC's Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Rally at standard level
Default RC control

Hi,
I'm just resurrecting my Tamiya Falcon I've had since the 80s.
I think the RC receiver (ACOMS) is failing as the car seems to only have a range of about 20m and when I steer full right the car applies rearward drive.
I've tried 2 different transmitters (the original ACOMS one and a brand new HPI one) and its the same result.
I received a new RC receiver with the HPI controller, but it seems to want 3 pin power and servo connectors when the power and servos in my car connected to my current receiver are 2 pin (1 red and 1 black wire).
What do people think the best course of action is to get this car running great again without buying so many parts that I may as well get a new car?
Thanks for any help.
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

I had a Falcon when I was a young bloke in the 80's, and about 8 years ago I bought one from ebay and restored it over time. Its now almost a new built!!

I'm a bit confused about your servo having only 2 wires because it will need 3 (positive, negative and signal). To be honest, youre electronics are old and probably on the way out, and the Falcon its self is old and the plastic will be weak and brittle. One prang and its likely to break easy!

Have you got a few hundred spare? It might just be easier to buy something new, current, and with plenty of spares available.

If you want to stick with the Falcon, can you post a bit more about these 2 wire servos?? Maybe a pic of the wiring (from the pic you posted, it looks old and a bit cluttered).

The 2 pin connector with a black and red wire I suspect is probably the on/off switch.

Are you running an electronic speed controller, or the old manual 3 step controller with a servo?

Matt.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

New 2.4gig controllers can be had for less than $50.

http://kap.industries/
Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Rally at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
I had a Falcon when I was a young bloke in the 80's, and about 8 years ago I bought one from ebay and restored it over time. Its now almost a new built!!

I'm a bit confused about your servo having only 2 wires because it will need 3 (positive, negative and signal). To be honest, youre electronics are old and probably on the way out, and the Falcon its self is old and the plastic will be weak and brittle. One prang and its likely to break easy!

Have you got a few hundred spare? It might just be easier to buy something new, current, and with plenty of spares available.

If you want to stick with the Falcon, can you post a bit more about these 2 wire servos?? Maybe a pic of the wiring (from the pic you posted, it looks old and a bit cluttered).

The 2 pin connector with a black and red wire I suspect is probably the on/off switch.

Are you running an electronic speed controller, or the old manual 3 step controller with a servo?

Matt.
Hi Matt,
You were correct the servos do have 3 wires, the 2 are just power to the RC receiver unit.
I've tried to take a clearer image of the electrics.
I think that it has the 3 stage speed controller with servo (as the entire car is original from the 80s).
The body still takes hard impacts and I've got a box of spares from when the car used to be raced when new (so my spares are also getting on for 30 years old).
I'm happy with the cars speed and handling, if I could just sort out what I think is the IC Receiver in the picture sending signals to both servos when only right steer is applied on any controller.
Would a 2.4Ghz controller/transmitter and a compatible receiver connect up to my two servos so I don't need to also buy new servos?
Thanks for your help so far and for any further help.
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

New radio $60
New servo's $15 each(only need the steering one - see below)
Electronic speed controller $40-50
(Local shop prices)

No one uses AM radios anymore - most have died through electrolytic capacitor degradation by now!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Tags
control, rc