Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Stock ECU Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/)
-   -   ECU re-flash and workshops (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/11106-engine-control-unit-re-flash-workshops.html)

trainwrex 21-03-2007 10:49 AM

how is ecutek different to verso.. there both programs that hack into the OEM computer, thus utilizing what points the standard ecu has to offer.

I dont understand how u can say one is better than the other in terms of functionality. Or that its been proven in motorsport. Of course the OEM ecu works fine under any condition, thats why it was put into cars in the first place.

It all comes down to the tuner, to extract the most out of the ecu.

Jimmy S 21-03-2007 01:13 PM

I agree with what Denver is saying there...

EcuTek and Verso are essentially the same product, when you go for the Tek3... but how many people will fork out $2k+ for Tek3??

Most people who want a reflash tune have only minimal mods and want something to help make the most of the modifications in the way of a new tune...
In this situation EcuTek will advise you to go for a Tek 2 tune(most often)...
This is a generic tune that they load into your ECU and road test it to see how it performs... What a joke!!!???

For more than $500 less (2/3rds of the price) than a Tek2 tune, Verso will do a custom DYNO tune of your ECU using all equipment to make sure your car is not put under undue stress and that the tune is optimal for the way the car is set up...

Im sorry, but there is no way i will load a tune onto my ECU and drive it when there is no real way of checking that things are all running safely! Especially when for less money i can have everything done "properly"...

My 2c

BLUES 21-03-2007 01:33 PM

I don't know how many people have paid $2K plus for a custom ecutek tune? Mine cost $1500 1st time, then hourly rate when i went back for retuning with a new turbo.

I agree - generic map tuning is crap.

The only difference between custom tuning Verso & custom tuning ecutek is the price - Verso wins.

Apart from that it's up to the tuner/workshop.

One of the criticisms of ecutek early on was that you were locked into the dealer network, couldn't tune it yourself, couldn't tune in realtime on the road, etc, etc - all these criticisms have been forgotten with the current Verso pryde.

Let's not forget that with Verso you are locked into 1 tuner/workshop - you are fucked if you have a problem with them and/or don't like the results, have a falling out, or if they get really busy or they decide to jack up the cost of tuning, etc to cover their expenses, etc, or they get sick or injured or go on holidays, etc, etc. Then what will you do? The honeymoon period will end eventually - always does.

EXPLICIT 21-03-2007 01:44 PM

Girls you're all out of the loop, the latest craze is draw-thru carby's and polished inlet pipes!!!!! All you need is a screw driver to tune :D

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Corvair_turbo_engine.jpg/800px-Corvair_turbo_engine.jpg[/IMG]

Pettata 21-03-2007 01:52 PM

The reason why I would go for a verso is because after checking each of ecutek and verso's web pages, verso is the only one that does MY94-95, and it's cheaper... win-win!

wrx_diamond 21-03-2007 01:58 PM

Whats wrong with LINKS ECU??

Anything bad about them cause im getting one very soon!

teejay 21-03-2007 02:16 PM

Ok a link is not a reflash... perhaps a new thread is a good idea.

teejay 21-03-2007 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=BLUES]
Let's not forget that with Verso you are locked into 1 tuner/workshop - you are fucked if you have a problem with them and/or don't like the results, have a falling out, or if they get really busy or they decide to jack up the cost of tuning, etc to cover their expenses, etc, or they get sick or injured or go on holidays, etc, etc. Then what will you do? The honeymoon period will end eventually - always does.[/QUOTE]

A very valid point....

Not saying it will happen, but if you go link, power fc, motec, autronic, etc etc, ... you have more then one tuning option.

BLUES 21-03-2007 02:34 PM

The other small 'issue' i have is that Verso is just a name - have a detailed look at their website - no contact details, no contact names, no ABN or ACN - I mean, are they actually a registered business or merely a DOT.COM webpage?

What happens if they decide to cash in their chips and move onto other things & projects or go there separate ways - what support is there to existing customers and to the boys at ASG if the tech gurus decide to pull the pin on product support & R&D?

There is more to think about than just the $ difference between reflashing products.

teejay 21-03-2007 02:41 PM

Or the flipside, what if something happens to ASG?