Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > TV shows, Documentaries and Movies
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Sir AntiLag

Chum at standard level
Default Steven Hawking's Universe

Anyone seen these docos? Its three parts, one about aliens, time travel and creation/destruction. They are pretty interesting especially the time travel and creation one. Highly recommend.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

crankin91 at standard level

+1 Very interesting mini series, unless your religious in which case its Blasphemy! Blasforyou! Blas for everybody in the room!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Sir AntiLag

Chum at standard level

Word, almost cements my belief of there being no god. Our technology is just not advanced enough to be able to learn more about our universe. Its just an enigma but once we have more information we'll be able to understand every step of creation and possibly other universes. People just say God created it because we don't have enough proof otherwise. But look at how much we have already! I didn't realise there was that much research about the big bang etc.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

If those documentaries interest you then you really need to also look at "The Elegant Universe" which deals with the String Theory and the the "effective" merge between quantum mechanics and astrophysics. It states that they may have found the Theory of Everything (TOE).

There is a doco for the "not so deep" but the book is exceptional - written by Brian Greene (spelling?).

However, understanding our universe doesn't totally disperse the belief in God. For all you know, our universe, everything we know, our whole time existence, may be nothing but a drop of ether on another universe's petri dish being studied under a microscope.

Our knowledge is minuscule in comparison to what's out there to know.

As an example - if the universe is an expansionary process from the "big bang" - where did that happen then?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:38 PM

mARC at standard level

I spy with my little eye loads of theoretical physics?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Sir AntiLag

Chum at standard level

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out. There may be a higher power somewhere of some size but I definately do not believe in a God by the description of the bible and that by many religions. I personally think 'that' God was created to explain the unexplainable from many many years ago even through to today. Although a higher power could simply be other forces looking at us much how we observe wildlife through our documentaries.

@marc, watch the Stephen Hawking ones as they are aimed at the general population so anyone can understand. Its pretty good.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
I spy with my little eye loads of theoretical physics?
It all starts somewhere - we once thought the earth was flat, time was a constant and there was nothing smaller than an neutron and large Hadron collider was going to make anti-matter which was going to destroy all that we know.

All I'm saying is that just like the chicken and the egg and good/bad cholesterol - opinions change, so does knowledge and the thought of "we know everything there is to know" is the first step to ignorance.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out. There may be a higher power somewhere of some size but I definately do not believe in a God by the description of the bible and that by many religions. I personally think 'that' God was created to explain the unexplainable from many many years ago even through to today. Although a higher power could simply be other forces looking at us much how we observe wildlife through our documentaries.

@marc, watch the Stephen Hawking ones as they are aimed at the general population so anyone can understand. Its pretty good.
Always remember that the descriptions of "what is god" are simply narratives by others than "god".

My interest has been with the civilisations that existed before "the three sons of Abraham" - being Judaism, Christian and Islamic. See here as a brief example. These civilisations had buildings, language, science, etc that was lost long before we came along. Some of their knowledge of "space" was amazing. Construction techniques we can barely copy now.

The questions is, did they synthesise this knowledge, or did they get it from "out there"

Tags
hawking, steven, universe