Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Personal Classifieds > Wanted
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 02:00 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ReppohC at standard level
Default Wanted: Gearbox / 4.11 Diff

Was going to happen eventually I suppose... Took a few teeth off second gear. Yet to remove and split the box, still can engage all gears but had a few teeth come out through the oil... Sounds like a 1st/2nd/mainshaft replacement job (pending damage to anything else). Doubtful anyone has the parts I need (Doug?) so time for a new gearbox. Probably cost the same to get the box fixed as a replacement anyway.

Interested in whatever is avaliable to suit a 99/00 WRX. Might be tempted to go a 6 spd conversion for the right price (pending availability of all the bits I need) or maybe just a 5 spd. Anyone have any of the above avaliable at the moment?

While I'm here got some questions for the gearbox gurus; is a 4.11 MY98 RA 5spd suitable for my car? I'd imagine its 8 bolt housing. Any other changes (or parts) required other then diff? Anyone got a 4.11 diff?
Old 07-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

98 should be 4 bolt, pretty sure the 8 bolt started in MY99 but they are interchangeable, I've put a 98 4 bolt straight into a 99.
RA box are a bit of a pain for daily driving, 5th over the line at drags & about 3,500rpm at 100kph.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

A 98 Ra box won't be 4.11, All JDM WRX stuff after 97 is 4.44 even the povo models.
If you're lucky it may just need a mainshaft. If it needs a mainshaft and a second gear (usually a third gear synchro as well) it gets to the point of not worth it on a stock 99/00 3.9 box.
Personally I wouldn't de-value a 99/00 with an earlier box than what the car came with (although 4 bolt boxes will fit) I'd be searching for a nice late model 4.44 box without close ratios. (unless it's for racing use primarily, then close boxes are the go)
Any box that's been apart and 'inspected' by someone other than a reputable workshop should be treated with suspicion.
In answer to the original question though, I have various 4.11 diffs available.
I have some New, old stock genuine 3/4th sets but no second gears to suit yours.