Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Personal Classifieds > Wanted
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

A full resto on a 40 year old car is not a reference for a standard paint job. Well it might be, but those choosing to do so have probably been sniffing paint for far too long.

My car had mild hail in the roof, panel work, a new colour (still white to be fair) and was stripped back windows out interior out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-06-2012, 05:56 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Spence at standard level

Yeah I know but was using it as an example. I read the dak dak thread well the first few pages. I noticed u Said it was done in his spare time, so he owned the shop or? And also the other way out cost gets up there is by ordering other things like badges, moulds and all that sort a shit. But say u wanted to get your car painted with no dents or anything like that if everything was straight, it's usually 300 dollars per door per fender and per bumper then usually 400 for your boot, bonnet, roof and quarter panels but that's if you are going back to the same Colour. If that's the sort of answer u were looking for.
Old 27-06-2012, 05:59 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Spence at standard level

Yeah I know but was using it as an example. I read the dak dak thread well the first few pages. I noticed u Said it was done in his spare time, so he owned the shop or? And also the other way out cost gets up there is by ordering other things like badges, moulds and all that sort a shit. But say u wanted to get your car painted with no dents or anything like that if everything was straight, it's usually 300 dollars per door per fender and per bumper then usually 400 for your boot, bonnet, roof and quarter panels but that's if you are going back to the same Colour. If that's the sort of answer u were looking for. Minus labour
Old 28-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

$10k for a paint job. Wow.

So at the painters $40/hr rate that's 250 hours of work. Or 6.5 weeks of 38 hours per week solid painting, no breaks. Even if the charge out rate is $90 per hour that's 111 hours or 3 weeks of 38 hours a week solid painting.

Sure there are consumables and overhead recoveries which need to be included, but I've never seen a paint shop work solidly on one car for 2+ weeks for just a simple touch up respray.

If people are lining up for this, time to turn one of my workshops into a spray booth!
Old 28-06-2012, 09:44 AM

mARC at standard level

Kato, the overhead cost on a full respray are quite substantial.

Factoring in pearl paints and some of the more exotic colours you could easily eat a large portion of your stated amount in product alone.

You also need to factor in the shortage in the industry ATM, this obviously leads to increased costs for the retention of valued employees/contractors (IMO the rates are askew in this thread).

Considering what you're getting and a bare metal respray or respray with significant/time consuming works involved does 10k sound all that outlandish?

IMO its not a cost people see on a daily basis and they're not use to it. Factor it against the price of performace parts or other regular/more periodic purchases.

I think there needs to be a more clear definition of the works involved against some of the costing mention in this thread.

Last edited by mARC; 28-06-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:54 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

In my time I have had painted for me

HR30 2 door in a blue from bare metal

R31 respray including welding up the ex lpg hole swapping front ends to jdm spec

Cressida respray in black

Wagon just done

I have never paid 10k for this work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Kato, the overhead cost on a full respray are quite substantial.

Factoring in pearl paints and some of the more exotic colours you could easily eat a large portion of your stated amount in product alone.

You also need to factor in the shortage in the industry ATM, this obviously leads to increased costs for the retention of valued employees/contractors (IMO the rates are askew in this thread).

Considering what you're getting and a bare metal respray or respray with significant/time consuming works involved does 10k sound all that outlandish?

IMO its not a cost people see on a daily basis and they're not use to it. Factor it against the price of performace parts or other regular/more periodic purchases.

I think there needs to be a more clear definition of the works involved against some of the costing mention in this thread.
Like I said, for a quick touch up respray in the same colour as the car is presented... $10k is a lot. I have never seen prices like that expect on real custom, top end show car paint jobs.

You have experience with the industry and I know how much paint is and what a building rent is, which will be your main additional costs over labour. I'm still yet to see a standard 'freshen up' car painted where a painter spends 2+ weeks day in day out on that one car.

A simple calc is if a paint job is $10k and would last around 2 weeks of man hours (if the painter is overpaid at $50/hr that's only $4k, gives $6k for overheads and profit to the company), that means 1 painter can generate $1m+ of work in a year. I can fit a good 20 painters in a shed and have a $20m turnover going off these prices.

Seems illogical not to do it! Unless of course people won't pay $10k for a paint job and this is all crap.
Strubaru likes this.
Old 28-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

big o at standard level

I would love to charge 10k for a re spray, would of had a good year, and be on my 3rd holiday by now.

Time is money and re sprays take time.
Products is money, 1 piece of sand paper cost 60c and that adds up quckly.
you have
masking tape
plastic sheeting
primer
multiple tinters
prepsol
wax and greese remover
tac rags,
I could go on and on.

product for a respray is at least $1500-2000 AND Thats not including booth time, gas, power, rent all the other bits and pieces that go with it.

just my two cents.

I had a guy come in for a quote, I gave him a quote for his job, which was bloody cheap to help him out, $600 he ask me if I could do it for $200. Then I had to explain what things cost which is hard work.
Strubaru and magic1 like this.
Old 28-06-2012, 12:30 PM

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Seems illogical not to do it! Unless of course people won't pay $10k for a paint job and this is all crap.
Totally agree thats why I added a clear explanation of work undertaken for the price needs to be made. We have gone from what could be classified as a re-coat to a full blown restoration.

I think it would be safe to assume that Spence has included cost of parts/repair work/overhead into the equation 'as have I', as its rather pointless to respray a car if its not reasonably straight 'this is of course dependant on the situation', to which I understand you're also aware.

If you wanted to go into the more extreme side of things, speak to someone who has had a respray done in harlequin paint. The materials costs were 'at one stage/unsure now', approximately $1k per litre.

I would say your figures are pretty good IMO.

Last edited by mARC; 28-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 28-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gc8 View Post
rebuilds, mods, resprayed the paint, interior fitouts and all that sort of thing.
I'll chime in here, as (unfortunately?) the above describes me/my car to a T.

I paid 10k exactly for a complete colour change respray. Including inside edges, and engine bay. This may sound expensive... but
It included:
4 brand new doors from subaru
Brand new front gaurds (L&R)
STI GF8 tailgate with STI spoiler
New front bumper
New GF8 impreza roof rails (to delete roof rack mounts)
Brand new door and window rubbers all round

Along with all this, it included stripping the interior entirely so I could get it all retrimmed:

The 10k also included respraying all interior plastics and dash.

It's now a custom blue (based loosely on subaru 02C) with zuralic silver and green pearls/tinters.

Obviously, on top of all that, there was a heap of other repair/prep work required on the 10yr old body.
I spent a lot of time in the workshop, and saw how much time and effort went in to getting my car right, and by no stretch of the imagination would i have say 10k was too much for the amount of work that was done. (Maybe I get paid too much, but I would be spewing if only made 5-6k (?) for the amount of work done/time spent.)

Last edited by mattmy99; 28-06-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Tags
2000, bumper, front, paint, wrx