Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Sir AntiLag

jesstamic at standard level
Default Lucky Number Thirteen

*Updated: 12-5-11*
Hey all, figured it was a good time to actually update the thread since its been quite awhile since. I collated everything into one post for those that enjoy just reading everything in one hit rather then trawling through pages for every update. However most recent update is at the end post also as its too long to be added here.

This is my first car. Bought the car in Jan 08 after about 2 months from getting my license. Bought it at around 170k on the clock with the understanding that the engine wasnt going to last too much longer and if it did so happen to go bang! that it was going to be rebuilt into something more powerful.

As how I bought it:

It was stock with the exception of the colour coding, crystal lights, lowered on king superlows, mild steel tbe and altezza taillights.
Apparently the car also has lightweight bonnet and boot lids. Whether they're RA spec or not is something I'm not sure of. After much consideration and a cynical view my thought was it was previously in some sort of crash whether minor or major but never the less its was my first bought car and it drove pretty awesomely to my impressionable mind.

It was stock for maybe 6 months before small things started to get modded.

Painting Calipers Red with White writing (was completely oblivious to the correct procedure to prep an area :P)
Dba Street rotors
Dylan Spec SS TBE (thats held together by hose clamps)
ULTREX H-Brace, Short Shifter and Earthing kit (Thanks to Phil/Rossco/Damo/Multigrip and a brick)
Painted the plastic inserts under the indicators silver (Thanks Fobz)
JDM STI Taillights (no one seemed to like the altezzas :P apparently everytime I was braking it looked like I was reversing... or something similar)
SEIBON CF Prodrive Replica Spoiler
Turbosmart Megasonic BOV
Turbotimer

Stereo system:
Alpine 9886E head unit with Imprint Tuning Kit
Full Speed ipod interface
Eclipse 6.5" splits running 180wrms
2x Alpine Type S 12" single voice coil
Alpine mono block channel driving the sub and Alpine 4 channel running front stage and rears.

So that was the car til around July 09. Then this happened,

Went to collie, was given the number 13, drove it around, came back and instead of it being a dak dak my car sounded like a dok dok.
2 gudgeon pins later along with the oil over heating and thinning out, which caused bronzing of the whole block. Thankfully was able to limp back to the motel watching Rob enjoying having a RWD car for a while.
Big thanks to Scotty, Muggz, Jester, Shannon, Rob, Mel and Phil for a laugh that night.

So having a FUBAR'd engine it was time to do some nice new engine mods

02 Sti EJ207T Short Block (Crate Block)
Reconditioned 99 WRX Heads, bored out from 1.9 to 2.01 - Done by Headtorque
Sti Oil Pump
New Thermostat
New Cam Belt Tensioner Kits
Replaced the head bolts with ARP head stud kit
Custom VF22 with Garrett T28 internals
02 STI rims painted charcoal
Walbro 255lphr race Fuel Pump with big inlet
05 Sti Intercooler and GDB Bov and relocated Clutch reservoir
PWR CAI
PWR Turbo Inlet
Bosh Z32 AFM
Sard 800cc injectors
Yellow Top Optima Battery
CF roof diffuser
Genuine Sti Mudflaps
Power Fc to run the show

Car did the run in tune with just the vf22 at 160hp ath at 5psi

Goodies Pile:

Next tune netted 233.5hp 308nm

Left last time with a tune on 238hp 307nm with faulty solenoid and injectors. Parts were found to fix it, some sard 800cc and mac 3 1.5 boost solenoid to the rescue but never got the time to put it in to get a retune. So for the past 2 months its been sitting in the door pockets of the car.

In the mean time a birthday passed and I was spoilt enough for a couple of guages, controller and personalized plates

So since somehow miraculously being accepted into motorvation this year meant that a lot of work that I had planned on slowly doing throughout the year, I had to now do within 4 weeks. Fun times did insure.

Ripped the vortex off for a start. Let me just say, sikaflex sucks to take off. Fantastic product if you want stuff to stay on, but fuck me, especially if you have no clue how, its a headache to take off.
Was left with this whole mess that was under the vortex.

Thankfully some guy who was walking down the street stopped to have a quick look at what we were doing before, in desperation, we took a rotary buffer to my roof. He suggested a razor to cut the majority of it off and methylated spirits to remove the excess.
Came out like this after cutting most of it off.

Unfortunately I will never be a good tinter with the effort I pulled off and the amount of scratches that came from my roof after :P But damn I never thought there would be such an easy way of removing it.
Also on a boring weekend did a recolour of the old rims that used to be on the car. Came out pretty good but regretting not keeping it the primer white that was used.

Bought an Ultrex scoop and lip. Was very unsure about the scoop when I first saw it, but its grown on me.

Also snapped up this fixback sparco seat due to my stock seat sheering off the rails, But have got an unfortunate problem though as I'm too short for it to even be able to see over the dash or even the drivers window haha. Anyone know if its possible to get the rails adjusted higher???

On the list of things to eventually do was remove the dents and get a full respray on the car. Something that I wasnt all that concerned about getting done really as my work is at a shopping center and its pointless having good paint when theres idiots constantly opening doors next to you. But for motorvation I asked for the help of Benson at BBK Automotive if he had any spare time over the Xmas and New Years break just to mainly get rid of the nice trolley scratch and bush bash the car had down the sides.

All I can say is... above and completely beyond expectations. The guys a legend! He's done such an awesome job.

If anyones can remember the car previously, it wasnt anything decent. It had a nice dent in the bonnet for most of my ownership, scratches, paint peeling off from a crap spray job previously, front bar completely stone chipped and kerbed. It left a lot to be desired. And now it looks like its just left the dealership. It put such a massive grin on my face. By far the best mod. Massive thanks to Benson.

Benson also taught me a bit more about my car too. Its been in a major accident from the front which would have required an engine out and a complete replacement of the front end chassis, and the rear accident, that was found out previously, would have been been enough damage to break the diffs. I guess its only after being told this that I'm starting to notice the dark blue paint from the donors car that the previous spray painters neglected to spray.

Lastly on the list of things to do before motorvation was to retune the car with its new bits. Went down yesterday to pick it up from ASG and was greeted with a 264.6hp 375nm car.

Its not too much from what it was previously but its got much better throttle response and it seems to like stay at peak boost longer. Not too shabby I guess, especially since there was no info on the turbo and pretty much an experiment to see what it could do.

Last edited by jesstamic; 12-05-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 14-10-2009, 12:43 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

jOh4n at standard level

let me be the first to say.... LUUUUVVVVV IITTT.

its almost motivating me to pull the covers off mine and take her for a drive again.
Old 14-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

looks much better, love the mudflaps too!

What was it worth to do the heads?
Old 14-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Luigi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Luigi

Looks like a whole new car Jess.

Love the CF vortex generators, STI Wing and the Pink Mud Flaps.
Old 14-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
Looks like a whole new car Jess.

Love the CF vortex generators, STI Wing and the Pink Mud Flaps.
anyway, I love it Jess! I actually didn't know they did those vortex generators for GC8s! And the prodrive CF wing is mint...
hmm, now you've got me thinking that I dont like my wing-less boot anymore.

congrats on a wicked car that looks great and has some go to match!
Old 14-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel wrx View Post
looks much better, love the mudflaps too!

What was it worth to do the heads?
Ended up getting them done for about $800
Old 14-10-2009, 01:35 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

klass8wrx at standard level

What a beautiful car Jess. Props. Love the cf/charcoal & blue theme and the mud flaps, I could see it looking absolutely stunning! Perhaps black personalised plates, lip n cf/charcoal fog covers would set it off? Miss mine :|
Old 14-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Looking great mate, where & how much for the flaps, I needs some.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 14-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Good to see it rolling again Jess!

What's the plan for max boost when run in?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 14-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
Looking great mate, where & how much for the flaps, I needs some.
Man I was lucky to get that pair. 2nd hand from New Zealand for $175 delivered with brackets. Apparently talking to Jester today and they're like $300 odd for a side or something stupid for the genuine copies.
Was looking at rallyarmour's website before I found this pair for something very similar for much cheaper but couldnt pass on the opportunity for the ones I got.

Tags
lucky, number, thirteen