Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682
Default History of DAN682's and Family members Driveways

After getting inspired by Sayers thread, and since I have been on here since I think 2001? I guess it is my turn to do something like this

So it all started here in 1999 with my very first car.
It was a present from my parents and as my old boy has been in the motor vehicle industry for a long time, he couldn't pass up the idea of getting me a slow 2 seater. The method to his madness was that it was the heaviest slowest car on the road and it could only fit 2 other dickheads in it at the same time. I think this analogy definitely saved my life more than once!

It was a 1989 XF Falcon. He had it 3 years prior to me getting my license and kept it a secret from me up until the day I got my license. It was an ex Brambles Ute with a carby driven cross flow with a 3 speed auto. He painted the roof white and threw speedy rims on it with White walls and finished it with some bar work and a white tonneau cover. I loved this thing.

Meanwhile, at every chance I could get, I would try and take the old boys HDT improved 355 stroker Grange out for a run. This was one fun/fast car.

At the same time the old boy lived his boyhood dream of owning a Corvette. He bought a 1971 Corvette (chrome bumper version) with a 454, twin 650 double pumpers with mech secondaries and a 4 speed muncie? gearbox/shifter. I was on my P's when dad had this and he very rarely let me drive it for obvious reasons! The clutch was so god damn fuckn heavy in this that I could barely push it in and you would have to counter lever your weight on the steering wheel. When you would boot this thing, it would go sideways in 4th gear at 90km/h easy! I used to shit myself when driving it and was very scared of it. The cops would pull me over every chance they had when they saw the P Plates... Don't blame them! I still remember lighting this up one day and it proceeded to do donut after donut and I lawn dug one of my school teachers front yards as it whipped around. (I hope the old boy doesn't read this!) If only we still had it now!

A few years later and I had enough of the XF and convinced the old boy that I needed something better. With the help of his good mate Gordon Godwin who used to own the Toyshop in Northbridge, he found the worlds cheapest, cleanest 1991 Toyota Soarer with the 4L V8.
The day after taking delivery of this, what else does a cashed up 19 year old mine worker do? Blow his whole pay packet on the loudest biggest exhaust humanly possible and send it to Grant and the boys at Alberts Morley to spend 3 or 4K on a stereo and then get monstrous (at the time) 18" Rims with Bridgestone S02's

The Soarer started giving me the shits after a couple of years as it would mess up every now and then and wouldn't start. I had mechanics all over check it out and they couldn't pin point it, I sold it.

In the meantime the old boy sold his Grange and bought the last HSV he would ever own. It had some many problems it wasn't funny, but was a fun car and I got into a lot of trouble with this thing!

The next car was by far the most fun car I have ever owned to date

It was a 2001 WRX Hatch purchased from Premier motors Volvo of all places. I bought it sight unseen off carsales as I was working in Newman.

I joined Perth-WRX the day I bought this car and I have been here since. I owned this car for the longest of all cars and I regret selling it. It had a Link ECU, Whiteline everything, RMS TB Exhaust, IC Waterspray and heaps of other stuff which made Leigh Hynes quite rich

At the same time I was learning to fly and the old boy and I bought a Cessna 172E. The grand plan was for me to fly myself to and from the Pilbara whenever I liked. This never happened but we loved having the plane despite the ridiculous maintenance costs of owning one

I heard that Mazda was releasing a vehicle called the MPS and I had to have one, so the day come that I shot into Mazda and pre ordered a White MPS and traded the WRX (For more than what I paid for it years prior with almost all the mods being donated to my cousins 2000 Classic WRX)

I owned the MPS for a whopping 14 months but in that time, it saw a few Perth-WRX driving days with lots of heckling from the crowd to "turn my engine on" hehe.

I should not have sold the MPS so soon but I had this hair brained idea that I needed a new car whilst driving home from work one day and I proceeded to pull into Lane Ford and take possession of this piece of shit (on the right).

I will not bore you with how bad this car was, I got a lemon, however I can say that it went like last weeks pay (when it did run) so therefore it scares me to think how god damn quick Ramon's would be! (The XY Faker is my brother in laws).

By this stage I was almost married and this is where the story gets boring.
I was now working for Mazda, had no need for a car as I got one so I wholesaled the Typhoon after only 6 months of owning it and took a $30,000 hit in doing so. Lesson learnt, don't buy a taxi!
I bought the wife a CX7 demo and spent almost $10,000 in modifying it with all the mod cons

A big thanks to Ryan at Auto Integrations for all the hard work he did in integrating an AVN6000 with the Mazda's electrical components and sourcing a shroud for the deck. This is now standard in all CX7's urghhh if only I had waited!!

Meanwhile we also purchased a 2008 Golf GT Sport TSI with DSG Box. This is my current daily and is a very well built car that uses barely any fuel and still has some poke.

We sold the CX7 and now have a 2009 D4D Prado not worthy of any photos
The most recent addition to the family is a 2002 Yamaha XVS650A which was left to us from my father in-law before he passed away. Photos to come of the bike.

Some other cars that we have had over the years are:
  • 1977 Chev Caprice with a Targa Top. It had a 400cuiin Small Block
  • 1963 S Series Valiant with a slant 6 and push button auto which had it's roof chopped off and was in mother of pearl white
  • A cobra replica which the old boy built with a 351 in it. He built this for mum but realised that was a bad idea and sold it with 400metres on the clock
  • A 77 F100 which the old boy spent so much money on that he could have bought 2 brand new F250's and still had change. This had a Chev Diesel Conversion and was a 4wd which was supposedly rare?

• An RS Liberty which the old boy traded, we kept this for a short while before selling it to a dude. We took his 97 Heritage off his hands and is now a train station car.

Well, I have a new addition to the family!
A Concourse 06 Triumph Rocket III Classic
142BHP - 5750RPM
200nm - 2000RPM
2.3L 3 Cylinder
320KG Dry

3 words come to mind riding this... HOLY SHIT BALLS!

This will take some getting used to. The rear tyre is wider than what is on my Golf... (which has now been evicted from the garage).

That is it up till now. The next car for me will probably be a BMW 530d or a R36 Passat. The wife wants an X6, time for me to rob a bank!

Last edited by DAN682; 16-03-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 29-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level

Excellent write up, and I'm pleased to have inspired you ;-)

I just updated mine with pics of all the cars I mentioned, although I'm digging through my old slides now for a newer pic of the Kombi.
Old 29-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Awesome! Will check it out.
Old 29-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Subaru Tech Division

wawa at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682 View Post

It was a 1989 XF Falcon. He had it 3 years prior to me getting my license and kept it a secret from me up until the day I got my license. It was an ex Brambles Ute with a carby driven cross flow with a 3 speed auto. He painted the roof white and threw speedy rims on it with White walls and finished it with some bar work and a white tonneau cover. I loved this thing.

I remember seeing this around Mandurah back when I was in high school! Nice list of rides and an interesting read
Old 29-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
I remember seeing this around Mandurah back when I was in high school! Nice list of rides and an interesting read
No way! Crazy. Then again, you couldn't miss it, you saw this thing coming from miles away
Old 29-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

Nice work Dan!!! Like the sound of the R36 Passat!

Keen as for a wagon!

'04 E46 S/C M3 Coupe
Old 29-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

wawa at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682 View Post
No way! Crazy. Then again, you couldn't miss it, you saw this thing coming from miles away
definitely wouldn't lose it in a busy car park :P
Old 29-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Nice read Dan. I thinkg I remember from the bugeye onwards. That liberty RS wagon is/was hot!

Shame about the hit on the falcoon... I remember all the grief you had with that
Old 29-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level

Cheers Guys. The RS was fun, it had an RA engine in it or something according to the previous owner. We had RMS do a once over to it, only needed a boost controller and a new power steer pump. Then we flogged it off. It was quite a fun car. Some dude named Carl bought it and I think he hangs around the RSLib Forums.

That Falcon and Lane Ford has made me hate fords forever.
Old 29-05-2010, 04:31 PM
WRXRW

shame about the buffon not working out, would of been a nice car with a few lemming bolt ons!

Tags
dan682, driveway, driveways, family, history, members