Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Sir AntiLag

nasty sti at standard level
Default History of Perth-WRX.com

So firstly, i've done a search (all be it a brief one) and couldn't find anything.

I am curious as to the history of our esteemed site, you know, who started it, when, great moments....

Hoping this thread will revisit some good memories and educate ppl like myself.

Cheers

NASTY STI
P-WRX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Jme 28/04/09
Perth WRX History Gallery

A collection of images i found on some disk's last night, good for a laugh!

Last edited by EXPLICIT; 28-04-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 16-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Luigi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Luigi

Started back in June 2005 I'm Pretty sure.
Old 16-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

nah started way before that, ill see if i can dig up some dirt, there is a thread here somewhere I think...

Ramon, Jme and the other's will tell you all the long tales.
Old 16-08-2007, 07:04 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

I've been involved for as number of years as i can remember. Started when a group of guys went to IWRXOC meetings.. then decided sitting outside the meetings was a much cooler ordeal.

This lead to creating a email based webgroup. Known as perth-wrx. I can only imagine this was created in ~02.. as i got involved in early to mid 03.

Then a forum was created, originally run and maintained by dan carson (had a club spec 4 back then). Went through all sorts of bits and pieces - had some trouble with it being hacked. Moderators were thrown about the place - a bit of chaos was seen.

Forums were pulled down, dan carson/jme and a few others put some dosh in - and got this one started - dan carson the man who put the site/forums together.

Cruises back then were insane!! 10-25 cars.. majority of people had been in the scene for some time. Lots of high speed stuff, lots of twisty bits.. and even the infamous 'robs mowing service' for which i still remember like it was yesterday. Both ramon and myself eating mouthfuls of grass.

I missed out the on the first year perth-wrx entered in motorvation with the infamous ramon + sleeping on a roll event. Though entered with the group since 2004 / 2005 / 2006 and 2007 with the MVC crew (majority of the original p-wrx ppl).

There used to be monthly meets - many night cruises and a sunday cruise thrown in at random times. There was the mammoth 'doing it for possum cruise' when it first happened, many cruises through fremantle!

OHHHH lets make sure of this - perth-wrx made antilag world famous. Originally seen as a giant NO NO for street cars. Soon after the motorvation videos were posted online (a flame war between sti tuned and blu wrx "i think") - it was being seen world wide with international forums "GUESSING" what the flames were.. spark plug in the exhaust.. i think not!

Many many memories.. great group of peeps..

Majority of the original people all be it owning a vastly different selection of cars and have gone into various walks of life still find ways of keeping contact (email groups + forums + club events). Still has that awesome feeling of being involved in a tight nit group - with each person being involved in motorsport/builds/breakages of the past.
Old 17-08-2007, 05:53 AM
WRXRW

history of perth-wrx! i better get comfortable

you have to think back to 1998-1999 when paying 10$ for an MRT parts catalogue was the norm. Once in your hands you treated it like sacred partchment. You would dream of possible combinations of parts, but then, snapping back to reality, you would realise you couldn't afford anything from that list, except maybe a few stickers! No wait, that was me.

The first wednesday of every month at the jaguar club rooms with the wrxoc of wa was the catlyst for perthwrx. myself and others would meet on the previso of showing off what we had done that month. exhaust one month, fmic the next, strut brace and on and on. Fueled by your peers you would go one-up-menship everytime. As a result a core group of friends had some very wild rides for the time. James Ling, perhaps and at least in my eyes, one of the most influential and pioneering wrx's in perth. Steven Tawnbanan took things to a level that almost 10 years later is still considered a benchmark. Dion Thompson in what has to be perth's best wrx then and now. Rony Windelow, Phil Smart, Wes Tran and many more pushing that envelope and this was all before the y2k!

From these meetings, well, more like get togethers outside in the carpark it grew to exchanging emails, then e-groups, then yahoogroups and of course finally the forum, both beta versions I (black) and now II (white).

Then forget once a month, how about, once a week, spice it up, how about food, will go one better, how about go-karts and it all slowly grew into this monster.

The cruise, maybe started with about 3-4 cars one weekend into what, 70-80 cars for the annual possum memorial cruise.

Motorvation is a big deal for perth-wrx, its basically all of the above, its core values, its constitution no less that to get the most out of this experience you really have to experience the mv weekend. Some of my best memories and lack off come from this weekend. MV03 was the best. 04-07 haven't been bad, but what a weekend in 2003!

I have met, what i consider my best friends, because of all this. Funny how things work out that way.
I must admit i no longer have the enthusiam i once did for pdiddy. Finding time now is very hard. I can no longer break down a reply almost sentence for sentence as i once did for years. that thirst for knoweldge is amost over because everything is out there for you. you don't have to spend weeks, months, years compiling information about gearboxes! second hand info and the overnight guru is the way it is now.

perthwrx's history is not an assortment of dates and who did what when but rather its that passion for the wrx, even if you fall outside that 18-35yo age group and actually only drive a "wrx"!

I leave you with some random trivia facts about pdiddy

Trivia:

perth-wrx sticker was moddled after a version 4 sti rear graffiti style "WRX" that was on the back of my boot for years (one of the only things i did actually buy, and was able to afford from that mrt catalogue) by Jason Monzu's friend Gavin.

Simon Cooke is infact an original god-father of pdiddy, not that we really want to admit it.

Daniel Carson is the man most responsible for the website and forum in all its incarnations.

Richard Gaze was the person who actually started "perth-wrx" on the yahoo network.

Perth-WRX is affectionely called pdiddy by its life members.
Old 17-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Sir AntiLag

ndfourspd at standard level

nice bit of history there.

my first wrx was actually dan's old evo4.

all the stuff said about dan i can sort of vouch for. a top bloke.
Old 17-08-2007, 07:03 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

I'm proud to have been part of Yahoo Groups from the beginning of 2002, when lil Dan Gillen and Paul Bakker got me onto it.

I was one of the original MV03'ers, and I must say, it was one of the best moments of my life...some of my fondest memories come from that show, when there was only a core group (about 8 or 9 cars if I recall), and literally only about 200 cars entered in the show!!!
Old 17-08-2007, 07:40 AM
STI Master

mrclubspecevo4 at standard level

I been arund for a while too (2002). Introduced by Jonathan (SIR WRX: REXPO 04 Perth's Best Subaru) and met Ramon shortly after.

Seen a lot of chages over the years.
Old 17-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

i was part of the yahoo groups back in that time also.. but never really went out onto any cruises just watched and listened...

Have done more when p-wrx was created and seen the shenanigans and fisty cuffs as this group has evolved...

I think that its turned to shitee lately however and im sure most of those old school follwers would agree...

However im going to enjoy my first and only MOV next yr, bring back the ol times
Old 17-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Josh at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Josh

I came in around 2004 when I bought my GC8.

I remember the frequent Samsuns, Voss and shit talked over many a luncheon.

So long ago in fact, Chee and Andy used to get on and IRC at high school!

Tags
history, perthwrxcom