Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Jak3 at standard level
Default Jake's STI Build Thread

Ok so i hope this is the right section, had the car for a while now (delivered 3.9.10). so thought some update pics etc and a bit of info might be appreciated/welcomed. and im also going to write some boring stuff about why i purchased it, impressions etc.

How i came about purchasing the dak dak.
Speaking to the GM of my company, i felt i had lost some drive and inspiration (im in sales, this is my tool set). he (being a car nut), suggested i buy a nice new toy. i thought about buying many different cars. Evo X, 34R, 911, M3, 308 GTB fezza (so tempting!). Many cars i liked, but i loved none. For those who know me ive had many different cars over the years, and i love my fast cars. So i needed to find something that moved me (sounds like BS i know). Ive driven more evo's, 350gt's, rx7's etc than i care to think, and i love the evo for its raw performance and focus, but they feel so detached to drive, and i doubt i could form an attachment. one the way home from work one night i went to the yards at wangara, i saw the WR blue 04 STI, had a poke around and eventually a salesman came up to me, filled out the insurance details, and away we went. It took me all of 30 seconds to realise that this was not meant to be a school hack, clutch was heavy, seat was uncomfortable, suspension was firm, steering heavy. between shifts it bucked a little and the gearbox chattered, so after about 15mins i wind it up "wheres the power!?!?" well over 4k rpm thats where, no torque down low at all. I was amazed that this standard car was such a pig to drive on the road!, it made me want to learn it more, get to know it or somewhat, unlike the evo that did everything for me, i only got out what i put in. I knew enough about them to know its a great base for tuning, for the purpose of club level motorsport, and this is what i wanted to do (only 8mins to work, so everything else was just for joyriding). so i purchased the car, and was on my merry way.

I drove the car home, and jumped on the net to see how i can make it better. the factory car is a great piece of engineering.... for a road car, and i loved how raw it was, and wanted MORE! i was suprised at the somewhat limited information avaliable in regards to the bolt on power process (compared to say S13/14/15, skyline etc). but i sifted my way through and had a basic idea.

first on the list was an exhaust, i couldnt have anything to loud as i drive it to clients homes on ocassion, and didnt want to spend $4000 on an exhaust, because i wont know the difference between that and the $1000 for my purposes. i eventually settled on a Xforce 3" TBE with oval muffler, and opted to fit it myself. well..... its shit, for a bolt on system of decent calibre i was fucking disappointed, one mount, if left attached, would have been sitting in the front drive shaft, so out comes the 6" BBBBZZZZZ gone. the exhaust is about 3mm away from the g/box, so i heat wrapped it, got it all mounted etc. now it looks ok, sounds nice, hangs low, but thats china for you. i also popped in a cosworth panel filter at the same time.

off to tune! i had to wait for a tune because of bogan cruise at wanneroo, so on the tuesday after i dropped the car off the ASG, i had a chat to someone there about the exhaust (not sean!) and he was an arrogant wanker and maybe it was his first day (not really, hes just a little arrogant and rude), so i left the car with them and come friday i pick the car up, Vipec Pnp V44, with mac 3port boost solenoid, and a switch for antilag and rotational idle in place for super awesomeness! and i was happy for a time, about 3 days.

i called sean and asked him what to do, given the response we want from the car a bigger turbo is out of the question at this stage (stages are subject to very fast change!). he suggested headers, of UEL variety, and a better intake. so ive yet to order the headers, but last night put a perrin short ram intake kit on the car, made SFA difference (tune not altered), but it sounds wicked with the antilag on and the turbo spooling on decel.

as many may know due to previous threads, i cant get into the car with a helmet on, so i need to change the seat to a fixed back, so i would in turn run a harness, now i dont really want to run a harness with no rollover protection, which gives me the easiest option of a 4pt bolt in cage with harness bar. In 20mins i had gone from "how do i get in with my helmet on" to "which 4pt cage should i order" and the rest is TBA!

as it stands on my "To do" list in order

Seat setup (TBA)
Advan AD08 225/45/17
headers & retune
new pads/lines/rotors (2pc!)
adjustable sway bar
ALK
roll center adjuster
harness & cage

and then see where i end up, as soon as i get that seat in i will be finding an event to get to, and every event thereafter (work permitting) that i can get to.

i fucking LOVE this car, and i dont think i could have made a better choice.

if you have read all this, you must be either very drunk, or very bored, but anyway thankyou, many pics/updates to come shortly!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Jak3 at standard level

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ewU3A3HaICc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ewU3A3HaICc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Nice one mate. Glad you fell in love.

For market research, can I ask how many kms, and how much you paid. Pm me if you'd prefer.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Jak3 at standard level

Had 106kms, 27k, ahg warranty is t worth the paper it's written on now, so just got whatever they throw in. I did however get roadside assist with STD delivery, which I thought was cool. So when the exhaust wheel cracks and falls off from AL abuse, they can pick me up and take me home!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

grumpyrex at standard level

Good write up Jake. Enjoy the modding.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Gk_ at standard level

Nice rig Jake def get the unequal headers mate. Asg supplied me with mine when I was getting some work done and they make a big difference, sounds a lot better as well.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Master D knows their stuff

Awesome write up dude.
Car sounds like it's really going to be driven to be enjoyed :-)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

DEDLYWEPN at standard level

So you bought a car that was a pig to drive, with an uncomfortable seat and rattly gearbox, lol... nice

FOR SALE - [MY REXTC] - Custom Polycarb Plates - PM Me
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Great read mate!

Personally i think you will be disapointed with the headers. I think you should go twinscroll. Get twinscroll headers, turbo, modify the exhaust, maybe need new sump to etc. If you like you can come for a drive in my car with the twinscroll. Its amazing with virtually no lag.

PM me if you like and ill take you for a drive.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Strubaru knows their stuff

hot tip number 1:

put you're helmet on after you get in the car

welcome mate, you have my favourite shape and colour wrx

Tags
build, jake, sti, thread