Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Your Driveway (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/)
-   -   Jay's Version VI STi (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/63600-jays-version-vi-sti.html)

VUSSUTE 11-12-2015 06:07 PM

Jay's Version VI STi

5 Attachment(s)
Gday, well, i have posted on here quite a few times before but I have never actually introduced myself.
[B]
Who am I and how did I get into Subaru's[/B]

My name is Jay and I am 33 years old. I was introduced to Subaru's in early 1998 when my uncle bought a brand spanking new Version V STi. Being brought up on V8s, i remember my first comment to him was 'you spent how much? On a 4 cylinder? You could have bought a GTS!!!"
He then informed me that this car was significantly quicker than the then (current) fastest HSV. Needless to say, i never believed it.
My first ride sold it for me. Not necessarily the acceleration but rather, the go-kart feel of the car..... it had me hooked.
I started reading all the Motor magazine writes ups and searched the internet. I was in love with this car.
In late 1999, the Version 6 STi came out. I instantly fell in love with the blue metal mica colored version. I managed to get a poster from WRX owners club of WA magazine and it stayed in my room for years.
I knew, this was the car I wanted to own! But I didnt have the money of $62990 at the time and coming from an immediate family of die hard holden fans, i knew this was going to be an issue.
Ten years later...... after a while of loosing interest in cars I finally got my dream.

I bought the car from a mature owner down south with only 120k on the clock. With Tein coil overs fitted and a Hitech TBE + Autronic ECU, brand new Bosch fuel pump and dyno tune of around ~ 225hp @ wheels.

I have taken it to the motorplex and did only one run (scared of the dreaded 5 speed kaboom issue). I bit the bullet and did a very high RPM launch and managed to net myself a 12.8 second quarter mile time.... very very happy for first ever run (and my first run in a 4 cylinder, and only 1.7 seconds off my previous PB on the very first run!!!!)
[B]
My short term goal for the car
[/B]
The bug has currently bit me and as some of you may already know, am currently doing a few more mods which involve
- Fitment of Process west intercooler
- Fitment of UEL Headers + up pipe
- Fitment of BPM downpipe (to replace the Hitech one)
- Fitment of Process West CAI
- 750cc injectors (for room to move with even bigger turbo)
- All new silicon hoses and radiator hoses
- New wheel bearings
- New VF34/Blouch 20G turbo (still to be decided) (will be a big garrett when new engine goes in)
- New STi six speed transmission and OEM STi clutch
- And maby a touch of NOS as i have a system sitting there ready to go.

I will be building a pretty heavy duty semi-closed deck, fully forged motor whist driving around on the current EJ207..... When the open deck one decides to say goodnight, the newly built motor will be installed and an even bigger turbo installed. Final goal is well over 450whp.

[B]
Long term goals for the car[/B]
I have no debt and earn some pretty decent money, so spending some big $$ on this car wont be any issue.
I do intend on getting this car into the 10s.

There is just something about saying...... my car runs 10s.....

But... there is more learning to be done first. As I am new to modifying these cars and enjoy taking control of the engineering choices of the build.

I know WRX's are known for their track ability, but I want to drag this one. For the short term, i am looking for a consistent mid 11 second car. Most of my friends are all from the V8 brigade and I want to be the lone wolf among them

travrex 11-12-2015 06:45 PM

nice ride mate looks very clean. love my v8s but cant go passed these for the fun factor !

Rslib72 11-12-2015 07:35 PM

Great car mate good stuff ....

VUSSUTE 11-12-2015 08:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There is also this option as well..... but im really hard to persuade

travrex 11-12-2015 09:49 PM

That will definitely help get it down the quarter lol

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

TROLLEY 11-12-2015 10:01 PM

Awesome ride. Starting to get jealous of all these really clean looking engine bays. Going to have to put some effort into mine I think.

nick73 11-12-2015 10:01 PM

Someone should give you the ban-stick for keeping this from us for so long.

VUSSUTE 11-12-2015 10:02 PM

I didnt want to brag until I knew I could do it for sure Nick. lol

I also needed to learn the 'lingo' and 'know what im talking about' slang before i started sprooking my intentions. I was all over modifying V8s, but EJ motors, was a completely different thing all together.

Jezza 12-12-2015 12:34 AM

I say invite your mates to a track day. Even if they have a 10 sec v8, no way they could keep up with you through the twisty stuff.

Car looks good. If you get a 6 speed, I'd strongly recommend a Jim Berry clutch. Custom made in QLD, feels like a factory clutch but performs like a race one.

VUSSUTE 12-12-2015 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have a weekend free, thinking of installing these myself.
I can tell these are going to be a pain in the arse!

QRSTUVWRX 16-12-2015 10:52 PM

Welcome Jay. Nice looking car and would like to see this go around on a couple of track days.

VUSSUTE 15-04-2016 10:17 PM

Awesome guys
So had my STi six speed (2004 forester STi) fitted today along with some new DBA T3 4000 disks and pads.
RSS will be building me a brand new EJ207 based around a closed deck block with forged internals. Will also have refurbished heads with some porting done also. Kelford 272 cams will also be fitted.
I have also settled on a Blouch 20G XT-R turbo. ID1000 injectors will supply the fuel.

It will be running on BP98.

So, whos going to make the first guess for power???? im hoping for 350whp and a high 11 second timeslip to start with.... until the blue bottle goes on

Dan [GTI] 15-04-2016 10:20 PM

Going to be killer mate, did Maximum Motorsports do the 6 speed swap?

As for power on 98RON, I will guess 347.7HP :3gears:

VUSSUTE 15-04-2016 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah mate they did.... bunch of top blokes working there!
Also loving the much taller 6th gear on the highway from the forester!

Brett Allan 16-04-2016 04:06 AM

Should be close to 340/350hp with the cams and boost depending.

E85 not viable?

Would make the world of difference getting that 20g spinning a bit faster and the torque down low.

VUSSUTE 16-04-2016 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=Brett Allan;837483]Should be close to 340/350hp with the cams and boost depending.

E85 not viable?

Would make the world of difference getting that 20g spinning a bit faster and the torque down low.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

Mate I would love E85, how ever, it just isnt common enough to use IMHO. Closest station to me is 40 min away and I cover a fair few km's during the week so it would be a big pain, even if I loaded the car with Jerry's.
My ECU wont support flex either. Its an option I may look at later though

VUSSUTE 07-10-2016 10:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thought i would update this thread.

So motor has been recieved and consists of following.

- version 8 SCD block
- 2.5L crank (2.15L stroker)
- Nitto rods
- JE pistons
- ARP case and rod bolts.
- ARP 625 head bolts
- new water pump
- sti 11mm oil pump
- OEM gasket kit
- new cam belts, tensioner and pullies.

Heads are 04 WRX heads (big port AVCS and shimless buckets)

- Kelford 272 camshafts and springs
- retaining OEM retainers
- currently with Neil at 'the engine shop' being rebuilt.

ULTREX headers with double layer ceramic coating inside and out and will also be wrapped.

Process west TMIC
Blouch 20g XTR
ID injectors

Coupled to a long ratio sti six speed.

Car will be run on BP98 and the goal has now been reset to 350whp and hopefully break a high 11 second pass, or atleast 115mph

Thanks for all the help from the forum. I feel i have learned a lot from this build.

PS i still have a big nitros shot if i decide tens are in order

dazdavies 08-10-2016 02:21 AM

That's a long way from the 10 second car you said you were going to build.

VUSSUTE 08-10-2016 05:05 AM

Yeah daz, it was definitly some naivety on my part. being new to building these cars and learning alot on the way i quickly learned that 10 seconds was a little unrealistic as a daily driver in these cars (where a v8 its quite easy)
This was never a question of money (as i had 35k to spend on this) it was always avout remaining drivable as a daily... which i quickly learned is unrealistic (every engine builder said the same thing. Will be laggy and a pig). So ill pump it down to tens with nitros for a once off
Unfortunately a GT35R equiped 550awhp car just doesnt work as a daily as you would know.

Jacob92 08-10-2016 08:23 AM

350 is still a bit of an ask with a 20g on 98 i feel ... but all the best

Bram 08-10-2016 09:01 AM

Any reason why you settled on the forester 6spd? Open front diff and viscous center diff, its not really a proper STi box.

seagull 08-10-2016 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=Bram;841941]Any reason why you settled on the forester 6spd? Open front diff and viscous center diff, its not really a proper STi box.[/QUOTE]

You can buy these for $1200.00
Would suit most people's up grades in a street car. IMO good value for most

VUSSUTE 08-10-2016 09:22 AM

I asked for a long ratio box. I didnt want the sti short ratio.

Bram 08-10-2016 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=seagull;841942]You can buy these for $1200.00
Would suit most people's up grades in a street car. IMO good value for most[/QUOTE]

I bought my 2007 gdb sti box for $1500.

(I did have pay a bunch more to transport it from japan though.)

Bram 08-10-2016 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=VUSSUTE;841943]I asked for a long ratio box. I didnt want the sti short ratio.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I hear you on that one. The gearing in the forester box coupled with the diffs from an sti box would make for an awesome combo i reckon.

seagull 08-10-2016 09:36 AM

Good price mate.

VUSSUTE 08-10-2016 10:09 AM

The thing i loved was it feels same as five speed and in sixth it sits at 2500 at 100kph instead of 3100 with the 5 speed.
I only wanted extra strength was not interested in dccd.
Also because i wanted to drag race, the long ratio means i cross in 4th gear instead of having to shift another gear in the cloae ratio

Bram 08-10-2016 11:12 AM

Yeah. I find with my box, being from a 2L STi it is too close geared. When im racing i find i get to the top of the rpm range, shift into the next gear, and im still at the fucking top of the rpm range. So annoying

But i find for me, the interaction of the diffs/dccd outwiegh the gear ratio annoyance. I havent driven the firester sti box, but i have driven a 5spd forester box and i know the difference in cornering/power deleivery with the dccd is so much nicer.

Jacob92 08-10-2016 04:36 PM

I love my 2l close ratio box but my limmiter is up 8k way hehe

VUSSUTE 08-10-2016 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=Jacob92;841940]350 is still a bit of an ask with a 20g on 98 i feel ... but all the best

Didn't Rossco put down very close to 350 with a very very similar setup on 98, and 409hp on E85

astralex 08-10-2016 06:11 PM

From memory it was similar, but I'm fairly certain he was running corn juice.

VUSSUTE 08-10-2016 06:14 PM

I swore I saw a post where it was tuned on 98 and did 346 from memory. Or was it STI FLING?

VUSSUTE 08-10-2016 06:18 PM

Just checked, STIFLING made 356 on 98 with a XTR 1.5,
I been told the 20g XTR Ball bearing is very very close to the 1.5

Although the 1.5 is more linear with delivery

Regardless, I'll just enjoy it regardless of what it makes. Seat of the pants should be great

dazdavies 08-10-2016 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=VUSSUTE;841938]Yeah daz, it was definitly some naivety on my part. being new to building these cars and learning alot on the way i quickly learned that 10 seconds was a little unrealistic as a daily driver in these cars (where a v8 its quite easy)
This was never a question of money (as i had 35k to spend on this) it was always avout remaining drivable as a daily... which i quickly learned is unrealistic (every engine builder said the same thing. Will be laggy and a pig). So ill pump it down to tens with nitros for a once off
Unfortunately a GT35R equiped 550awhp car [B]just doesnt work as a daily[/B] as you would know.[/QUOTE]

Can't agree with you on that. Built right they can be used perfectly fine as a daily and mine aint laggy as few on here will confirm. It certainly isnt a pig to drive. Mine is my only car the only complaint I'd have if it concerned me would be fuel economy. Other than that no problem.

It's a pity I'm now back in the UK as I'd show you how civilised the car is. Unless I opened the bonnet you just wouldn't know what its capable of.

TROLLEY 08-10-2016 06:24 PM

re: 350 - depends what dyno you use. I reckon I will see 350 easily on Tokyo's dyno (my previous setup was 331 on their dyno with the 20g XTR and 19psi). But at ASG it might be shy of that, and definitely not at the wheels at MMS.

Bram 08-10-2016 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=Jacob92;841955]I love my 2l close ratio box but my limmiter is up 8k way hehe

Doesnt matter how high the limiter is. Its how close the next gear is to the previous thats the issue. I change at 7k, my next gear comes on at 5.5+ k.

If you change at 8k, your next gear is gonna come on at 6.5+ k. Even if you rev out to 10k rpm, the next gear will be at 8.5+ k.

Its the rpm drop between each new gear that is too small. Each gear ratio is too similar to the next IMO.

VUSSUTE 08-10-2016 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=dazdavies;841960]Can't agree with you on that. Built right they can be used perfectly fine as a daily and mine aint laggy as few on here will confirm. It certainly isnt a pig to drive. Mine is my only car the only complaint I'd have if it concerned me would be fuel economy. Other than that no problem.

It's a pity I'm now back in the UK as I'd show you how civilised the car is. Unless I opened the bonnet you just wouldn't know what its capable of.[/QUOTE]

Yeah mate. I have seen your builds and I believe ya.
You built having a wealth of knowledge behind you. This is my first Subaru build. There will be more upgrades as I have plenty of cash left from this build.
Missus is keen to buy another 4wd, if she decides to do that I will have her current 4wd to use as a daily and I can throw a 35r on the subi. But for now the 20g will have to do as it still spools reasonable.

dazdavies 08-10-2016 09:28 PM

Don't get me wrong mate a 35 will be laggy as fuck on a 2.0L that wasn't my point.

My point was you can have a 600whp daily and mine is proof of that. I also had to make the point regarding the engine builders you spoke to about it being a pig and laggy. Again mine is nothing of the sort. Just because they cant do it doesn't mean it cant be done.

Everyone who has been out in mine commented on how normal it seemed until I floored it after which point they went very quiet lol. The ONLY person that didn't was Troy but he knew what to expect :D

yeahnah 08-10-2016 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=dazdavies;841960]
It's a pity I'm now back in the UK as I'd show you how civilised the car is. Unless I opened the bonnet you just wouldn't know what its capable of.[/QUOTE]

Back in UK and still on prex. That's funny.

Rslib72 08-10-2016 11:35 PM

we are just so loveable thats why.........