Thread: Ceramic Coating
View Single Post
Old 26-05-2015, 01:04 AM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post
I don't know what process CIC uses but the proper ceramic coatings should be applied by a plasma spray. Swain seems to be the most popular in the U.S. and in Adelaide there is a place that does Zircotec but I think they freight the pieces to the UK for coating.

Have used CIC several times without an issue . Last time 18 months ago rebuilding a mates Diesel 4.2 patrol . He always had issues with heat and corrosion sue to large turbo getting hot and mud baking. I fitted a plasmaman water to air intercooler cnc intake and a td06 20g turbo with new exhaust manifold . Everything was ceramic coated . massive difference to under bonnet temps and intake temp. Pics are in the offroad part of forum.http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/offroad-...rol-build.html

He has driven to Melbourne once and up to Murchison Offroad Park about 3 times . It regularly does all the tracks locally in that time as well . He steam cleans all the mud dust etc straight off the ceramic coating and looks like the day I fitted it all . No issues whatsoever.

The biggest issue CIC said they have is when the object is older or quite used . Ive never had older parts done only brand new and rate it highly . Have done several dump pipes and turbos before No issues.

My last set of UEL headers I just removed off my car didnt have the ceramic coating due to cost at the time. They were wrapped in high quality titanium heat wrap as Daz has commented using . I recently removed them after nearly 2 yrs of use and the wrap was nice and tight still and the pipe underneath was in excellent condition . Many moons ago I had used the normal heat wrap and it disintegrated after about 18 months That was on a manifold and dump pipe on a FJ20 turbo.

Defiantly buy the titanium heat wrap if you are going that option . I also recommend CIC if you want the ceramic coating , I would not pay to have it done on used items tho and expect to have no weight to your wallet after paying for it.

Last edited by amtrapid; 26-05-2015 at 01:09 AM.