Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 05:19 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Oh yeah. Another thing to consider.

Oil fires. The reason i got rid of the wrapped headers was i had a front end prang last year. I had an oil cooler and the hoses got pinched. Oil ran down from the leak and landed on the headers. it caught fire. Lickily I was able to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher that i got off Russ Kap. Im pretty certain it would have caught fire with ceramic coating too, but atleast with the ceramic coating, the oil can easily run off. With the wrap, it kinda soaks it up like a big hot dry sponge. Then it catches fire...

I guess the potential for it to catch fire is still there with the sheet hot, but it would mostly run off it and not soak it up like wrapping. (aslong as you made it like an umbrella and not loke a bucket when you form it.)

Dont know if you plan for an oil cooler or not. But something to think about.

Or you could just berry your head in the sand and continue wrapping like its still 1995
RUSSGT (26-05-2015)
Old 25-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

No one is burying their head in the sand. I know what I'm doing. It'll be done right I won't have issues.
Old 25-05-2015, 07:16 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

I don't know what process CIC uses but the proper ceramic coatings should be applied by a plasma spray. Swain seems to be the most popular in the U.S. and in Adelaide there is a place that does Zircotec but I think they freight the pieces to the UK for coating.
Old 25-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zircotec are massively expensive in the UK add freight on top what they charge = OUCH!!
Old 26-05-2015, 01:04 AM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post
I don't know what process CIC uses but the proper ceramic coatings should be applied by a plasma spray. Swain seems to be the most popular in the U.S. and in Adelaide there is a place that does Zircotec but I think they freight the pieces to the UK for coating.

Have used CIC several times without an issue . Last time 18 months ago rebuilding a mates Diesel 4.2 patrol . He always had issues with heat and corrosion sue to large turbo getting hot and mud baking. I fitted a plasmaman water to air intercooler cnc intake and a td06 20g turbo with new exhaust manifold . Everything was ceramic coated . massive difference to under bonnet temps and intake temp. Pics are in the offroad part of forum.http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/offroad-...rol-build.html

He has driven to Melbourne once and up to Murchison Offroad Park about 3 times . It regularly does all the tracks locally in that time as well . He steam cleans all the mud dust etc straight off the ceramic coating and looks like the day I fitted it all . No issues whatsoever.

The biggest issue CIC said they have is when the object is older or quite used . Ive never had older parts done only brand new and rate it highly . Have done several dump pipes and turbos before No issues.

My last set of UEL headers I just removed off my car didnt have the ceramic coating due to cost at the time. They were wrapped in high quality titanium heat wrap as Daz has commented using . I recently removed them after nearly 2 yrs of use and the wrap was nice and tight still and the pipe underneath was in excellent condition . Many moons ago I had used the normal heat wrap and it disintegrated after about 18 months That was on a manifold and dump pipe on a FJ20 turbo.

Defiantly buy the titanium heat wrap if you are going that option . I also recommend CIC if you want the ceramic coating , I would not pay to have it done on used items tho and expect to have no weight to your wallet after paying for it.
Patch, nick73, Kremer930 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by amtrapid; 26-05-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 26-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

yeahnah at standard level

Anyone have before and after temps for any of the methods?
Old 26-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Sir AntiLag

As said above if you do wrap use the DEI titanium stuff. Most, if not all, of the other stuff is garbage and will just go hard and eventually disintegrate.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 26-05-2015, 11:41 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahnah View Post
Anyone have before and after temps for any of the methods?
Wish I had of done this had several opportunities . I have to say on my Subarus its hard to tell without measuring due to the Headers being underneath. I know on the Patrol under bonnet temps were massively less , Like from not being able to put hand anywhere near manifold to being able to hold your hand an inch over it .

When I had my 1600 with the FJ20 my high mount had the dump pipe wrapped and a beanie , my paint cracked on the bonnet from the heat .

I got the turbo and manifold done coated at CIC and repainted the bonnet . The dump pipe was still wrapped and I put the beanie on still but had the car another 2 years with no issue to the paint . It cracked originally after about 8 weeks.
Old 26-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

yeahnah at standard level

yeah roight, interesting.
What's your opinion of wrap/blankets over cic ceramic?
As mentioned, dump pipe with cic coating is still radiating significant heat.
As are the prospeed ceramic coated headers. I get nasty heat soak on hot day.
Would like to wrap them both but not at the cost of destroying the parts. Tho I would possibly accept a very slow degradation.
Old 26-05-2015, 01:45 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahnah View Post
yeah roight, interesting.
What's your opinion of wrap/blankets over cic ceramic?
As mentioned, dump pipe with cic coating is still radiating significant heat.
As are the prospeed ceramic coated headers. I get nasty heat soak on hot day.
Would like to wrap them both but not at the cost of destroying the parts. Tho I would possibly accept a very slow degradation.
Wrap over top with the titanium wrap will make a big difference and shouldnt degrade the ceramic coating one bit . As I mentioned still ran a beanie and wrap on my GTR and FJ20 with the coating as well.

The 1600 with the FJ ceramic coating and wrap is still going strong and I built the car about 13 yrs ago It gets driven on weekends regulary. The GTR was written off by the owner after me (Tears) but he daily drove it for 3 yrs without an issue either . Kept in contact with both.

Last edited by amtrapid; 26-05-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Tags
ceramic, coating