Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Complaints and Grievances (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/complaints-grievances/)
-   -   ridiculous p plater laws (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/complaints-grievances/38254-ridiculous-p-plater-laws.html)

Brett Allan 21-01-2011 11:14 PM

@fobz

If he had been taught how to drive in a safe and responsible manner, he would have realized that what he was trying to do was stupid, and dangerous. And i do agree that there are responsible p-platers out there, who don't do stupid things, but they are the ones that realize that if they do something stupid, they have to take full responsibility and the consequences, and like Master D said, it all comes down to experience. I guess there will always be people out there who just don't care, or simply don't understand what damage they can cause, and that will not change anytime soon :( But in the meantime it is up the p-platers now who are responsible to change the public perception. I am on my green p's, so i can understand how some p-platers can come across as complete dicks, and frankly this is true, but how do you go about changing the public perception?

PS. the chicks were good quality, and following in a car behind him, luckily not in the car at the time, he was lucky to walk away with only a few scratches.

@ Jordiee...what pics?

Cheers :)

mARC 21-01-2011 11:23 PM

[QUOTE=Brett Allan;529491]If he had been taught how to drive in a safe and responsible manner, he would have realized that what he was trying to do was stupid, and dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Doubt that.

[QUOTE=Brett Allan;529491]And i do agree that there are responsible p-platers out there, who don't do stupid things, but they are the ones that realize that if they do something stupid, they have to take full responsibility and the consequences, and like Master D said, it all comes down to experience. I guess there will always be people out there who just don't care, or simply don't understand what damage they can cause, and that will not change anytime soon :( But in the meantime it is up the p-platers now who are responsible to change the public perception. I am on my green p's, so i can understand how some p-platers can come across as complete dicks, and frankly this is true, but how do you go about changing the public perception?[/QUOTE]

High horse, you need to get off it.

People don't intentionally go out to cause damage to their vehicle and other people and you're telling me as a WRX owner you've never broken the speed limit?

There's an element of luck here, which your mate obviously didn't have when the aforementioned event occurred. Any time you speed you'd be put back into the same category you're classifying your mate into, you're just lucky you didn't get caught or nothing happened.

Insome 21-01-2011 11:55 PM

Day after day / night after night, i see p platers doing stupid things... why...comes down to inexperience on the road, and i'm sorry, but p platers do not have as much experience on the road as ppl that have been driving for a longer period of time... Are some of the p plate laws stupid... maybe... but at the same time, they may at one time or another save 1 p plater from doing something overly stupid, and if they do, good on the laws i say. /rant over.

Brett Allan 22-01-2011 12:07 AM

look, he is a mate of mine, and in my opinion, he did something wrong and irresponsible. I do know that people don't intentionally go out and plan to cause damage to other people, themselves or other's property.

And i will admit that i'm not a saint behind the wheel, and i don't always stick to the speed limit, but i don't go out and try to get sideways or try to impress people by being a dick. You are right in saying that i can also be classified into the same group that i'm putting my mate into, but there is a fine line there, between trying to do 'hoon' things and occasionally going over the limit. You do raise a valid point in saying that, and i'm lucky i haven't been caught with the new demerit points and everything...but how often do you speed? or break the law in regards to road rules?, which is not very hard to do. I can be classified in the same group as my mate, but then again, 98% of drivers can as well. I'm not trying to be smart or anything, and i apologize if i come across that way, i am just sick of people hating on p-platers when in fact its not just them who break the road rules. :)

astralex 22-01-2011 01:17 AM

Farken get over it. Everyone here has been a p plater, or the equivalent of. They are inexperienced, we all were, some did stupid shit, some didn't, it doesn't matter. It's three years of your very very long life should you choose not to do something stupid, so put up with the laws, get your full plates and then marvel at the young people doing the same, silly, irresponsible, inexperienced behavior that has been done a million times before, and will continue to occur until testosterone can be genetically removed from teenage males.

the kiwi 22-01-2011 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=Brett Allan;529491]@fobz

If he had been taught how to drive in a safe and responsible manner, he would have realized that what he was trying to do was stupid, and dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Heres another thought.

If your friend [i]had[/i] been taught how to drive in a irresponsible manor, perhaps he would have had the skill to save himself. Also being aware of our easily things can go wrong, from having this experience while learning would make all p-platers possibly more aware of their actions.

Jordiee 22-01-2011 10:50 AM

i drop the clutch at 6k rpm at every traffic light

matt_in_perth 26-01-2011 05:23 PM

When I passed my test in the UK some time ago, they didn't have P Plates. There was no restriction on the car you could get but Insurance is compulsory there.

I have a 6 year old 1.2 Astra that was completely powerless - 0 - 100kph in 18 seconds!!! LOL (cost approx $9,000 with exchange rate) and 3rd party insurance was approx $2000 per year.

My friend had a 12 year old golf GTI, it cost him approx $2500 to buy and the insurance was $5000 per year 3rd party!!

It is the same today in the UK, under 21 and you will find it difficult to even get insurance on a performance car if you could afford it.

steenler 26-01-2011 06:48 PM

Saw 2 p platers this arvo, one in a silver VE commodore (S or SS, not sure) and a patrol with big muddies on it.

Patrol was overtaking him on the footpath through soft sand and commodore was swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid the patrol half on the sand and half on the road.

As far as I am concerned P-plater laws are finally getting on the money. If your stupid you will deal with the consequences and if not you will be a happy motorist.

mARC 26-01-2011 06:57 PM

Tackle every corner with pride!

[IMG]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8051/dazslide.gif[/IMG]