Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Complaints and Grievances (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/complaints-grievances/)
-   -   Police and foglights (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/complaints-grievances/41284-police-foglights.html)

Bob 03-04-2011 09:59 AM

IMO driving lights are more a pencil beam than a spread beam 5m in front of the bumper.
Fog lights (yellow or white) are next to pointless this side of the country. We rarely drive in conditions that warrant the use.
You would get more use out of them if you converted to a decent set of proper driving lights and wire them into the high beam circuit.

DRLs are a different story. DRLs and driving with the headlights gets you seen on the road. DRLs are usually around 5W bulb or low watt LED. If this is your bag you can get ADR approved LED DRLs.

Bgwrx 03-04-2011 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=westoz;552171] Are you sure that there isn't an accidentally knocked-on switch for the said light?. I've seen a couple of Excel models (one previously owned by my son) where the rear fog switch is near the ignition... easily turned on accidentally by a knock from the right hand - just like the GC8 front fogs switch.

[/QUOTE]

there was definitely no switch for it, i even contacted the car yard she bought it from regarding her options.

teejay 03-04-2011 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=R3X;552161]Audi lights are written as day time driving lights, which a few manufacturers have followed and aftermarkets kits that are available. It makes the car visible during the day, which helps on long stretches of highways.[/QUOTE]

They will be mandatory under European law from 2013 and expect that to spread slowly to US and here.

[QUOTE=Pimpreza;552170]Annoy the living fuck out of the people in front of you, they are totally useless day or night & only posing cocks use them.:mad:[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

RamWRC 03-04-2011 11:19 AM

i used to use fog lights at dusk and dawn with just my park lights on, as the parks were useless on my old subi. worked well and never had any trouble from cops. but i'd turn them off when i switched the headlights on. i dont understand why they come from manufacturer with them if we can't use them? (eg. aust built cars)..

i work with mercs, and they're all coming with either led driving lights, or actual fog lights that look like a fancier version of the subi ones.. if they're built for australia, yet are illegal to use, then why do they come with them as standard? they're actually brighter than the ones on my wrx. makes no sense to me...

Rexy03 03-04-2011 04:32 PM

They are not illegal to use - they can only be used in fog or adverse weather conditions and should be used by themselves with headlights off to gain the proper advantage of fog lights.
It is illegal to run more than two forward facing lights in built up areas ( not including indicator and clearance lights )
I have driven in fog conditions where I couldnt see past my bonnet with headlights on, and this was for many kilometers not just a few meters. with headlights off and a real set of foglights on I was able to see a good 5 meters ahead and could continue to move at a steady pace, so they do have there applications but in town is not one of them, I have never used my WRX foggies and have them covered, if I could find something that would fit properly I would change them to driving lights ie: spot lights

Xx_AzzA_xX 04-04-2011 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=westoz;552171]Back in the early 90's there was a known conflict between the VSR's and ADR's on the issue of foggies. Eventually a Police Commissioner's instruction was issued that fines were not to be issued until such time as the conflict and legislation were corrected; can't tell you how that has panned out to present day but since fines are still being issued, perhaps the Commissioner's instruction has since been rescinded.

Removing the bulb in my view would make the car illegal to drive. Are you sure that there isn't an accidentally knocked-on switch for the said light?. I've seen a couple of Excel models (one previously owned by my son) where the rear fog switch is near the ignition... easily turned on accidentally by a knock from the right hand - just like the GC8 front fogs switch.

Hmmm... I fail to see how the police who stopped you would know that you had received a previous warning since such warnings are not recorded on database? Unless of course you had been stopped for the same thing on a recent occasion by the same officer or your vehicle/personal details and the previous incident which resulted in the warning were recalled by another officer when hearing it on radio?[/QUOTE]

We were never told about it before hand, the twat was just trying to cover his ass.

rick 13-04-2011 05:53 AM

People become cops because they are fucking useless at everything else, just a bunch of fat dumb fucks that can suck my dick, they are all just jealous of the cars we drive cause cause they are just absolute fuckheads.

Then again this country isn't far off from being fucked

Man I feel better now :D

Bgwrx 13-04-2011 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=rick;555406]People become cops because they are fucking useless at everything else, [B]just a bunch of fat dumb fucks that can suck my dick[/B], they are all just jealous of the cars we drive cause cause they are just absolute fuckheads.

Then again this country isn't far off from being fucked

Man I feel better now :D[/QUOTE]

we will see who you will be crying for when some one breaks into your house and beats the shit out of you and rapes your girlfriend

matthews 13-04-2011 07:00 AM

I'm not sure why they are used as we never get any fog. I like to see them more as a 'look at me' option. I find them a pain and they are bright and do effect your driving when heading towards a car with them on.

johnvk7 13-04-2011 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=Bgwrx;555407]we will see who you will be crying for when some one breaks into your house and beats the shit out of you and rapes your girlfriend[/QUOTE]

QFT, if you do nothing wrong, you'll have no issues with the popo