Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

us 08's are manufactured in the us.

Long live the WRC
Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

I believe that the paint formula on Subarus changed around the MY98...models before that were much more resistant to chipping. My old red MY94 was very resistant but my MY99 was terrible, MY02 STi slightly better, MY06 similar to MY02.
In comparison my 2000 model MITSUBISHI 4WD Challenger with over 130K on the clock (and is regularly used off road) has bugger all chips and its paint quality is way better than any modern Subaru.....go figure...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

suby orange peel finish paint for the win
Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli
In comparison my 2000 model MITSUBISHI 4WD Challenger with over 130K on the clock (and is regularly used off road) has bugger all chips and its paint quality is way better than any modern Subaru.....go figure...
Would you believe that my 1996 Ford Fairlane has hardly any stone chips compared to my 2002 WRX?

The Fairlane has done many country runs too, including lots of gravel roads, and the WRX hasn't ever seen past the metro area!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

SublimeForester at standard level

My understanding of this is that it comes down to how "hard" the paint is. As previously mentioned Mercedes now have Nano-ceramic clear coats on their cars which is designed to resist scratching. Its very hard which makes it more difficult to buff out scratching/swirl that does get put in. In fact you need to use completely different compounds specially made for these types of paint. However this hardness also made the paint more likely to chip. Most US manufacturers were willing to sacrifice the resistance to scratching by opting for a "softer" paint that is less susceptable to chipping.
I think Subaru just use cheaper finishes ( like American Dave said "orange peel ftw")that dont provide much protection from either. Its one of the areas they cut back in to produce such great performing cars for the money.

Ive started to realise that being anal about paint on a daily driver ruins your life. Which kind of sucks when you spend your days getting near enough flawless finishes on other peoples cars. Enjoy driving your car and try not to worry about the minor blemishes. When it comes to resale 99% of the cars of a similar age/mileage will be suffering the same.
Cheers
Brett
Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Sir AntiLag

BXT at standard level

Very True Brett.....I feel better for now...or until I next wash my Obsidian Black XT ....the swirls in the sun drive me crazy
Black cars are great for Melbourne weather only (always overcast so you can't see the swirls)
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXT
Very True Brett.....I feel better for now...or until I next wash my Obsidian Black XT ....the swirls in the sun drive me crazy
Black cars are great for Melbourne weather only (always overcast so you can't see the swirls)
Bought my last car at 6 months old and it had the swirls (WR Blue). I thought it may have been buffed/compounded by the selling yard to get it.

Do they get this from new or from compounding/machine buffing post purchase?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotydog
Bought my last car at 6 months old and it had the swirls (WR Blue). I thought it may have been buffed/compounded by the selling yard to get it.

Do they get this from new or from compounding/machine buffing post purchase?
Done by the yard from buffing machine not being used properly or poor quality machine or cheap polishes. They charge $2000+ dealer delivery for a new car then serve up something with swirls!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Shame - I've seen quite a few driving around with it.

Will keep and eye out on the new one - not taking the swirls option this time then!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

SublimeForester at standard level

you'd be surprised how many hands a brand new car passes through before you get the keys. not only at the selling sealer, but also between the dealer and the manufacturer. Unfortunately some of these hands are underpaid, undertrained or plain old uncaring. So getting a car with swirls or buffing trails is sadly quite common. Sometimes its not the fault of the dealer. There are buffing compounds on the market that are full of "fillers" which mask the swirls created by the cutting elements of the compound, and leave a brilliant swirl free finish. Unfortunately these fillers wash out after a couple of washes and all youre left with is the buffing trails and holograms.

Tags
08, impreza, job, model, paint