Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 11:06 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level
Default Calling all Audiophiles

Hey Guys,

I'm currently looking at doing my new system in the MY11.

Just wanted some opinions and ideas. Macey will be doing the install with custom enclosure for woofer.

Front Options:

Focal 165KRX3 - 3 ways
Hertz MLK165 - 2 ways
Crescendo OPUS 9.9 - 3 ways

Question - have any of you auditioned the Crescendos anywhere? I've heard many good things about these but auditioning them seems to be impossible.

Other than that, focal or hertz? I came from having Dynaudio in my previous car, but i can't fit them into my doors without too much work being done.

Amps:

I was looking at a PDX-F6 to go with their mono, or JL's HD series. I've always had alpine before but someone told me the midrange of the JL's is better? not sure there.

Woofer:

Suggested to go to the 8" Focal, unless there's something out there in an 8" which is a lot better?

Cheers!
Old 26-01-2011, 11:31 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

wrxfiend at standard level

My pick would be Focal, but not having heard the Crescendos I cant comment on those.
8" sub is different, nice tight bass!
Old 26-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Only your ears can decided. Sound is such a subjective thing. The only thing I would buy without auditioning and on reputation alone would be a sub.

What's your reasoning behind an 8" sub?
Old 27-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon911 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm currently looking at doing my new system in the MY11.

Just wanted some opinions and ideas. Macey will be doing the install with custom enclosure for woofer.

Front Options:

Focal 165KRX3 - 3 ways
Hertz MLK165 - 2 ways
Crescendo OPUS 9.9 - 3 ways

Question - have any of you auditioned the Crescendos anywhere? I've heard many good things about these but auditioning them seems to be impossible.

Other than that, focal or hertz? I came from having Dynaudio in my previous car, but i can't fit them into my doors without too much work being done.

Amps:

I was looking at a PDX-F6 to go with their mono, or JL's HD series. I've always had alpine before but someone told me the midrange of the JL's is better? not sure there.

Woofer:

Suggested to go to the 8" Focal, unless there's something out there in an 8" which is a lot better?

Cheers!
Hi, sounds like you want an audiophile grade system. Are you planning on competing? Judges listen to their testing at failry modest levels, so a bigger sub would be needed to score well at the lower end of the spectrum. Just sayin

Splits: Focal are well known for a reason, as are Hertz. Never heard of Crescendo though. Last I checked Focal (home speakers at least) where no longer being made in France but in China/Korea/wherever so take that with a grain of salt if you wish. Having had a look at the OPUS 9.9, it seems the speakers themselves are of an average quality and most of the wizardry is in the crossover. To be perfectly honest, it looks like they'd clip at a decent volume and I wouldn't expect them to last.

Amps: PDX anything or JL anything will be absolute joy. Macey will get the best out of either anyway

Woofer: Truthfully, you'll be struggling to get any decent sound from a single 8" sub bass woofer. I'm assuming you don't want the box taking up valuable real estate so have you considered the slim line series of woofers out there? Or better yet, go for a Kicker Solo-baric L7. A fairly deep woofer but pound for pound will deliver good volumes at low levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxfiend View Post
My pick would be Focal, but not having heard the Crescendos I cant comment on those.
8" sub is different, nice tight bass!
You can and do get 15" subs with nice tight bass too. But you need the volume matched right. Most people will put them in a box too big or whack a port in it so the sound will get a bit floppy for lack of a better term. Common misconception that smaller woofers provide 'tighter' sound, box design and volume of air behind the sub is where it's at.
Old 27-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

I had Hertz in the front, went to Focal's. Much happier.

Macey did the install and it sounds just perfect for my ears.

Cheers
Zombee
Old 27-01-2011, 09:11 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
Only your ears can decided. Sound is such a subjective thing. The only thing I would buy without auditioning and on reputation alone would be a sub.

What's your reasoning behind an 8" sub?
8" was what macey recommended too me. I didn't want anything too boomy, and with the side enclosure he was building for me, i think bigger would be too large. There wouldn't be enough space behind the enclosure.

Quote:
Hi, sounds like you want an audiophile grade system. Are you planning on competing? Judges listen to their testing at failry modest levels, so a bigger sub would be needed to score well at the lower end of the spectrum. Just sayin
I'm not going to enter it into any competitions, but I love my sound. I run B&W's in my bedroom, if they made an aftermarket car speaker i'd buy them in a second

Quote:
ocal are well known for a reason, as are Hertz. Never heard of Crescendo though. Last I checked Focal (home speakers at least) where no longer being made in France but in China/Korea/wherever so take that with a grain of salt if you wish. Having had a look at the OPUS 9.9, it seems the speakers themselves are of an average quality and most of the wizardry is in the crossover. To be perfectly honest, it looks like they'd clip at a decent volume and I wouldn't expect them to last.
Well that takes the crescendos off my list, and I think i'll take hertz off too. however now I've added the dynaudios esotar2's in there. As I said before I had the 242GT's previously and i enjoyed them. I wanted the system 342 but was told the 7" driver would cause me install problems. do you know about the esotar2's? they have the 6.5" driver, which i presume would fit without too much hassle. There however doesn't seem to be a crossover for them yet? or someone said there was a new one coming. Being a high end speaker would a 2 way system suffice or would i still want to go three way? noones got these babys on display in perth, but i'd happily buy them without hearing because of my experience with them.
Old 27-01-2011, 09:46 AM
STI Master

Damo69 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post

You can and do get 15" subs with nice tight bass too. But you need the volume matched right. Most people will put them in a box too big or whack a port in it so the sound will get a bit floppy for lack of a better term. Common misconception that smaller woofers provide 'tighter' sound, box design and volume of air behind the sub is where it's at.

i got a 13" focal in a "nice tight box" 90% of music it will keep its tight bass, some more harder drum & bass etc (prodigy) it can get sloppy, but i think thats due to it may need a capacitor. i.e. not getting enough power to keep it tight. my thoughts anyway.

in short it can be done

60.7 Long Track at Barbs
57.6 at RAC Reverse circuit.
Old 27-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon911 View Post
I'm not going to enter it into any competitions, but I love my sound. I run B&W's in my bedroom, if they made an aftermarket car speaker i'd buy them in a second
Best you can do is buy an Aston Martin at this stage, then rip out the B&Ws from there
Old 27-01-2011, 01:23 PM