Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 05:15 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Unscrewedsparks at standard level
Default Removing stereo head unit from 01 bug eye

Hi again,

I have a pioneer headunit fitted to my car, i want to install an amp wiring kit so i have 2 questions.
Firstly how do you remover the stereo without breaking any centre console trim (im a little heavy handed so have decided to take my time lol) do you start with the silver trim that surrounds the a/c controls and stereo etc? (see pic below)
Would the head unit be screwed in from the sides or do i need the 2 "keys" that slip in between the cage and the stereo to "unlock" it?

Also a little advice on the best route from the battery to the boot? mainly the best place to enter the car from the engine bay?

Thanks in advance fellas

Last edited by Unscrewedsparks; 22-04-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: picture
Old 22-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Sir AntiLag

bumpstop at standard level

There is no need to remove the vents. The silver fascia around the headunit just unclips, start at the top left corner at the drink holder.

Power cable entry is best taken through the main harness grommet in the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle.

If in doubt with any of the install consider having it professionally installed for the sake of your car and equipment.
Old 22-04-2011, 05:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

wrxfiend at standard level

from memory, pop the gear selector surround up that should acess two screws retaining the stereo surround. Shouldn't need to touch the ac surround at all.

can run the power cable through the firewall where the wiring loom goes through, just below the intercooler on the pass side.

hope this helps.
Old 22-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

like above ^

the silver trim around the A/C controls and headunit simply clips on and off, simply remove this GENTLY and you will have access to your headunit, you need to slide it out of the metal "sleeve" and simply connect up to the amp the following:

- RCA cable - get the polarity right
- Remote cable from headunit, should be blue ( basically turns on amp when headunit is on)
- Positive and negative

Should be sweet

good luck

Brett
Old 22-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxfiend View Post
from memory, pop the gear selector surround up that should acess two screws retaining the stereo surround. Shouldn't need to touch the ac surround at all.

can run the power cable through the firewall where the wiring loom goes through, just below the intercooler on the pass side.

hope this helps.
hahha, I'm just trying to recall how I did mine....grrr lol.

best of luck anyways

Brett
Old 22-04-2011, 05:52 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:

hope this helps.

im a little confused by this, the stereo surround is behind the silver ac surround? so how would taking off the trim around the gear lever allow me to remove the stereo surround without touching the ac surround? sorry if im missing something obvious..... very new to these cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Allan View Post
like above ^

the silver trim around the A/C controls and headunit simply clips on and off, simply remove this GENTLY and you will have access to your headunit, you need to slide it out of the metal "sleeve" and simply connect up to the amp the following:

- RCA cable - get the polarity right
- Remote cable from headunit, should be blue ( basically turns on amp when headunit is on)
- Positive and negative

Should be sweet

good luck

Brett

Thanks Brett, that seems to make sense. will be doing it on sunday so will report back on how i get on. I have probably made myself sound like a clueless idiot, I havent installed a stereo system for about 6 years now but i used to play about with them in my various cars all the time. But i am a sparky by trade so hopefully i will get it right lol.

Was thinking of running the cables under the plastic kick plate trims that hold the carpet down near the bottoms of the doors, power one side and remote/rca the other side to get some segregation to avoid interference.....?

Chris
Old 22-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thats alright I did mine recently, and from what I can recall, you just unclip the silver trim. and that should be it, then that gives you access to the screws that will let the headunit slide out..don't worry, I have confused myself as well :P but I am quite sure that is the way I did mine and worked well, but there are screws UNDERNEATH the silver trim that hold the metal frame the headunit sits in if that makes sense, PM me if it doesn't and I can give you details .

I'm sure you will manage being a sparky, and you are 100% correct in stating you must separate the RCA's and the power cable to avoid interference. Running them alongside the kick-plate trims/under the carpet is your best bet and is the easiest way

best of luck

Brett
Old 22-04-2011, 06:26 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

[QUOTE=Brett Allan;558927]thats alright I did mine recently, and from what I can recall, you just unclip the silver trim. and that should be it, then that gives you access to the screws that will let the headunit slide out..don't worry, I have confused myself as well :P but I am quite sure that is the way I did mine and worked well, but there are screws UNDERNEATH the silver trim that hold the metal frame the headunit sits in if that makes sense, PM me if it doesn't and I can give you details .

I'm sure you will manage being a sparky, and you are 100% correct in stating you must separate the RCA's and the power cable to avoid interference. Running them alongside the kick-plate trims/under the carpet is your best bet and is the easiest way

best of luck

Brett [/QUOTE

Thanks again Brett, you have been very helpful. Looking forward to doing it as i have a Kicker mono amp and pair of 12" subs to go in, car already has upgraded speakers and to me a pretty good sounding headunit so hopefully it will sound pretty good.

Old 22-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

No problems, more than happy to assist a fellow bugeye owner and I am sure it will sound mint! I cannot wait to install a full system in my car, as I only have the headunit now and upgraded speakers, looking at running 4ch amp for speakers, BIG ASS mono for the 2 x Alpine type S subs had them in my old car, but sold it with them

Best of luck, update with results

Brett
Old 23-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Sir AntiLag

bumpstop at standard level

Quote:
from memory, pop the gear selector surround up that should acess two screws retaining the stereo surround. Shouldn't need to touch the ac surround at all
I reckon Rob is thinking of this style dash - http://www.scoobymods.com/remove-sto...37.html?t=5537

Tags
01, bug, eye, head, removing, stereo, unit