Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 12:09 PM
STI Master

RXqME at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682 View Post
I have a PEX-270AE, it works fantastic, Waxit - Premium Car Care Australia sells 6" Edge pads with velcro back for the PEX. That's where I get all of mine from

EDIT: here are the ones I use:
Edge 2000 6" Blue Finishing Soft Foam Pad
Edge 2000 6" Green Polishing Dura Foam Pad
Edge 2000 6" Yellow Cutting Foam Pad
Edge Classic 6" White Super Soft Foam Pad

So? It spins and is a great unit to start learning how to polish, you do less damage with an orbital than a rotary as it doesn't heat the paint up as much.
oo my bad, i thought they too complete different things!
Old 28-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXqME View Post
oo my bad, i thought they too complete different things!
Non-variable speed device = massive fail so you're still right.
Old 28-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Non-variable speed device = massive fail so you're still right.
It is a variable speed device. Well mine is anyway, it has a dial from 1 thru to 10 on it.
Old 28-11-2011, 04:20 PM
STI Master

monkeee at standard level

Yes mine is variable too. Thanks guys.

I picked up some pads (one for cutting, one for finishing) today at Auto One in Malaga, just finished clay bar and using some swirl x on it with the orbital sander (not a detailing freak but it works decently). Going to finish it up with some Auto Glym SRP.

Will definitely look into chemical guys as they are widely reccomended. Just wanted to see how this initial detail goes and then really start to look into some nicer products.

Thanks to all for your help (will post some pics up in my driveway thread tommorow).

Getting better. Still somewhat retarded.
Old 28-11-2011, 06:19 PM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

After playing around with dozens of combinations, for white (IMO) it is hard to beat Klasse All-In-One, followed by Sealant Glaze and topped with a really nice wax - personally I love Souveran (pricey), Poorboys Natty Blue (makes it slightly darker) and S100 (budget high quality wax).

Most of this stuff you'd source overseas or pay through the nose if you can find it here in Australia.
Old 14-12-2011, 10:59 PM
STI Master

Big thanks to everyone (especially Dan and Andrew, much appreciated guys).

After a little research and some phone calls and of course asking here too, I have ended up ordering today:

MintPro Blue Cutting Pad
MintPro Light Cutting Pad
MintPro White Polishing Pad
MintPro Black Finishing Pad
Menzerna Fast Gloss
Menzerna Power Finish
Menzerna Final Finish

Also have (at home):

AutoGlym Body Shampoo and Conditioner
AutoGlym Clean Wheels
AutoGlym Glass Spray (Aerosol)
AutoGlym Super Resin Polish
AutoGlym Perfect Palm Applicator
AutoGlym Perfect Polishing Cloth

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive Will post up ze results in my driveway thread when the whole interior/exterior detail is finished. I know I said I would post the results of the initial detail but to be honest, the meguairs swirl x and light cutting pad (I think its more of a finishing pad despite being called a cutting pad) didn't do anything...to be expected really.

Here's hoping I can get rid of all the swirls and oxidation on the car with the new goodies. If it goes well I am going to have at it on the other 2 cars at home.

Again, many thanks,

-Shane
Old 15-12-2011, 12:30 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

tinno at standard level

Hi Shane, just on a side note, have you tried using the super resin polish but with several applications instead? The SRP contains fillers and is actually pretty good for swirl marks. I gave it a shot today and it worked surprisingly quite well. I worked the SRP into the paint quite thoroughly, wiped away with a microfibre cloth and repeated (all in total about five applications).

Initially I was going to give the Meguiars SwirlX a go but then I ran across this thread which lead me to using the SRP first -> http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...tml#post786237

Pay particular attention to post #4.

I had to do it by hand so it was quite fatiguing and I gave up after doing the bonnet and roof . But seeing as you have an orbital buffer it should be a bit easier!
Old 15-12-2011, 01:24 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinno View Post
Hi Shane, just on a side note, have you tried using the super resin polish but with several applications instead? The SRP contains fillers and is actually pretty good for swirl marks. I gave it a shot today and it worked surprisingly quite well. I worked the SRP into the paint quite thoroughly, wiped away with a microfibre cloth and repeated (all in total about five applications).

Initially I was going to give the Meguiars SwirlX a go but then I ran across this thread which lead me to using the SRP first -> http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...tml#post786237

Pay particular attention to post #4.

I had to do it by hand so it was quite fatiguing and I gave up after doing the bonnet and roof . But seeing as you have an orbital buffer it should be a bit easier!
Thanks for the info Tinno I will definitely give the SRP more than one application after the Menzerna stuff does its job (but this is handy to know come time when I want to just quickly polish the car without going into stages of cuttting and what not).
Old 15-12-2011, 11:52 AM
STI Master

RXqME at standard level

Have you had a go at it yet Shane?
Old 16-12-2011, 12:30 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXqME View Post
Have you had a go at it yet Shane?
Nah mate, I only ordered the pads + menzerna stuff yesterday haha but I am very keen to get on with it when my stuff arrives

Tags
cutting or polishing, orbital, pads, random, sander