Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Faz at standard level
Default New Headunit

So i think its time for a new H/U as mine is possesed and likes to change the songs by itself, and its only feature is cd player -.-

i've always wanted to get a double din unit, but i have just had a custom single din compartment made for my turbo timer.

so that leaves single din, but i want to get the flip out screen ones, but something that i noticed is that the headunit sits quite far back in the console.

So my question is; does any one who ones a 98-00 GC8 have a single din flip out unit, and does the screen clear properly.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

STiV6 at standard level

I do on my 00. The screen clears fine if the unit is mounted properly. Me personally though am not a fan of it as I think it looks a bit wanker-esque but each to their own. Slowly counting the pay packets until I can afford a nice normal one that actually has an AUX input.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiV6 View Post
I do on my 00. The screen clears fine if the unit is mounted properly. Me personally though am not a fan of it as I think it looks a bit wanker-esque but each to their own. Slowly counting the pay packets until I can afford a nice normal one that actually has an AUX input.
Alpine X-305. Single Din supports USB and iPod Natively. Can be upgraded with bluetooth also.

And to the OP - I had a pioneer single din with motor flip-down face when I purchased the MY99. Ill describe it in 3 words.

Piece. Of. Shit.

I had to buy a ribbon cable from Pioneer USA - disassemble the thing right down to the circuit board and replace it because the cable had worn through from all the open/close. Which made the entire Head Unit stop working basically. The front just went open -> close -> open -> close and so on forever.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

IMO, a single DIN unit is a lot better, easier to change songs/volume as you don't have to look at it whilst driving....

I picked up a sony single DIN unit with Bluetooth, USB, AUX, CD, and everything I require for $175 from JBHIFI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Spence at standard level

Believe this is being sold on here http://m.gumtree.com.au/v?adId=1004021585
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Faz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Allan View Post
IMO, a single DIN unit is a lot better, easier to change songs/volume as you don't have to look at it whilst driving....

I picked up a sony single DIN unit with Bluetooth, USB, AUX, CD, and everything I require for $175 from JBHIFI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my mate has a pioneer flip out unit in his car, and it still features a volume knob and buttons to change stations etc...

im thinking of this one.
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-g...tem-sku-99511/
Old 13-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Subaru Tech Division

What are you going to accomplish with a 1500 single din flip-out head unit apart from wank factor.

Not to be rude just trying to save you some money. Take it from the guy who spent 15k on his GC8 before he realised to give up lol.

$300 is plenty for a head unit. If you really want one I have the pioneer from my car still. If you can re-do the wiring youself your welcome to it for $100. Ribbon cable has been replaced already as I mentioned before. Its the DEH 8450 MP.
trblmkr, Brett Allan and STiV6 like this.
Old 13-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Gilpy at standard level

I've had a Pioneer fold out DVD head unit in my car for about 2 years. The ability to change songs on my iPod was good because I change them alot when I'm pulled up at the lights, but other than that and the wank factor there wasnt much more going for it. The whole motorized action felt flimsy and that is what eventually died on it. Now it folds up and down but doesnt move in and out. Got it for about $1000. If I decide to go with another DVD/iPod setup it would definitely be double-din. My 2c.
Old 13-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpy View Post
I've had a Pioneer fold out DVD head unit in my car for about 2 years. The ability to change songs on my iPod was good because I change them alot when I'm pulled up at the lights, but other than that and the wank factor there wasnt much more going for it. The whole motorized action felt flimsy and that is what eventually died on it. Now it folds up and down but doesnt move in and out. Got it for about $1000. If I decide to go with another DVD/iPod setup it would definitely be double-din. My 2c.
Probably the same as mine or very similar. Think this 8450 cost about $800 back in the day.
Old 13-07-2012, 12:28 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Aaron L at standard level

I've seen a few pioneers with av outputs so if you really wanted you could do a bit of a search around and see what other company's (if any) have this feature...then grab yourself a small mountable 7/8" tv/monitor and hook it up...but then again why would you need a DVD player in the car?? Shouldn't you be driving?

Tags
headunit