Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
Yeah, good way to describe it - I felt that the Morel's had more depth to them. Indeed good value too
Yeh they do because their bottom end ("mid-bass") extends to play lower notes than the Focals. A fuller sound so to speak, as you experienced. Generally Focal is more a "mid-range" and up speaker and their bottom end response drops sharply. The less lower notes a speaker has to produce, the louder and clearer it can play but with obvious loss in the bottom end. This is where careful choice of sub and crossover setup/tuning comes into it but obviously only for the anal and "Sound Quality" enthusiasts (like myself and GTB Liberty).

I'm still trying to talk Soksta into hurrying up and sticking a pair of Morel in his car.
Old 19-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

There is a "personal choice" aspect to the choice between sharp/concise mid range versus full/warmer sounding drivers/speakers as well. I, having been a sound engineer for years, am not the greatest fan of ultra tight and concise mid range. Why? Because I've been "trained" to hear mid range frequencies due to my audio work. As such, I prefer a warmer/fuller sounding speaker as I find it more pleasing to the ear.

As an example, in my home theater I have 2 way fronts with a 8" mid/bass driver and 2 way speakers with a 6" mid/bass driver as rears. The rears are newer and a tighter more concise mid range but I prefer the older warmer 8" and as such they have stayed as my main L/R speakers.
Old 19-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

I understood almost none of the previous two posts but now know who to ask when I upgrade the speakers on my car. Some people on PWRX have mass knowledge.
Old 19-11-2013, 04:08 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Yeah, so glad I listened first as oppose to buying based on price tag (expensive, so it must be good?!, right?), or on other peoples reviews.

Just gonna see how my new setup goes with no dynamat. Install on Tues.
TROLLEY and Soksta like this.
Old 19-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
I'm still trying to talk Soksta into hurrying up and sticking a pair of Morel in his car.
You and that demonstration at West Side have already swayed me to get some, unfortunately the money I had set aside has been eaten up by a three week holiday next year
Old 19-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Listening is important as everyone's ears are so, so different and what is pleasing to one person's ears just isn't to the next. However my advice has always been contradictory to my actions... I purchased my entire system (tweeters, mid-bass and sub) from reputation, reviews and looking at their respective frequency response graphs. Absolutely stoked with my choices but doing so is fraught with danger/disappointment.
Old 19-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Listening is important as everyone's ears are so, so different and what is pleasing to one person's ears just isn't to the next. However my advice has always been contradictory to my actions... I purchased my entire system (tweeters, mid-bass and sub) from reputation, reviews and looking at their respective frequency response graphs. Absolutely stoked with my choices but doing so is fraught with danger/disappointment.
My ears are actually a real time analyzer

Whilst listening to speakers is the best thing to do; be aware that when at the store that the speaker boards are almost no reprEsentation of what they'll sound like in the vehicle.
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 19-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

Is musical taste an important factor in choosing equipment too? ie. Does certain music suit certain speakers?
Old 19-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Technically no. However, I couldn't imagine classical music sounding good on a ported subwoofer.

Notwithstanding, a system that plays classical music brilliantly will expose the failures of a modern dance track as an example.
TROLLEY and thehowlfactor like this.
Old 19-11-2013, 06:32 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
be aware that when at the store that the speaker boards are almost no reprEsentation of what they'll sound like in the vehicle.
Yeah exactly - I figured if the Morels sound good coming out of soundboard into a big open room, on a cheaper amp, they should? sound even better inside a car given install/setup is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehowlfactor View Post
Is musical taste an important factor in choosing equipment too? ie. Does certain music suit certain speakers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Technically no..
Based on my short and limited experience from the other day, techno would have sounded better on the Focals. In my personal opinion though, techno isn't the best music to fully explore the capabilities of a great audio system.

Last edited by RichX; 19-11-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Tags
audio, car, opinions, speakers