Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By maccar86
  • 1 Post By TROLLEY
  • 1 Post By TROLLEY
  • 1 Post By Captain Buff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-01-2017, 09:27 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

maccar86 at standard level
Default MY16 STI A-Pillar

Has anyone fabbed up a custom A-pillar for these or found one online for sale? I got some nice audiofrog gear that I want to mount in there.

Thanks guys/girls
Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

You would be lucky to find anyone else who is even aware of the Audiofrog brand let alone having made fibreglass pods for them.

A guy in Germany makes aluminium housings for high end tweeters which are great value for money, piss easy to install and makes for great imaging when placed correctly. As you haven't stated what speakers you actually have, I don't know if he makes them for what you have but I have linked all his Audiofrog offerings below:

nemez111 | eBay

I use his products myself for my Hybrid Audio Technologies L1 Pro tweeters:

Old 01-02-2017, 03:38 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Captain Buff at standard level

You would be lucky to find anyone else who is even aware of the Audiofrog brand let alone having made fibreglass pods for them.

Whilst I know a fait bit about audio I have not heard of AudioFrog...always something to learn!!

I use his products myself for my Hybrid Audio Technologies L1 Pro tweeters:

HAT's I am more familiar with - and that is an excellent choice of tweeter mate! - however to the point I've seen that dude and thought his stuff looked pretty hokey and not that cheap...interested in how you feel it sounds...?

Personally I was going to fibreglass some a pillars for mid range and tweeter...going to fork out a fair bit as well
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

http://medleysmusings.com/afgb25/

I'm going to drop the mid range and the tweeters in the a-pillar but was hoping someone had already had a crack at doing this on this particular model Subaru. The break glass sensor will need to be moved and the whole instal will take some time to complete.

The audiofrogs are receiving awesome reviews at the moment and they test quite well. I'm going to run the gb10, gb25 and gb60 on the pillars and in the doors.

Thanks for the responses and links guys
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4818.JPG  
TROLLEY and Captain Buff like this.

Last edited by maccar86; 01-02-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:26 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

The pods look like they are good quality but the mounting seems pretty cheap. I think I'd rather spend the time and money to mould them in properly
Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Flat Four Father

Yeh, fibreglass pods would be better for a 3-way setup as having two pods on each pillar will look cumbersome and I dare say heavy. Also you have far more range and flexibility in terms of directionality whereas the pods are a tad limited in their angles. If it were just tweeters I'd be inclined to go with the pods. The mountings are actually very sturdy. I've had mine on for over 4 years now and have only had to tighten one side once.

I hail from Belmont and my olds still live there so if you want a demo and to check out the pods out of curiosity, just send me a pm.
Captain Buff likes this.

Last edited by TROLLEY; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Flat Four Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
HAT's I am more familiar with - and that is an excellent choice of tweeter mate! - however to the point I've seen that dude and thought his stuff looked pretty hokey and not that cheap...interested in how you feel it sounds...?
I paid just under $200 for mine years ago which I think is a bargain to be honest. The pods for the Audiofrog come in at less than AU$110 which I think is a no-brainer for someone just needing to mount tweeters as part of a 2-way active system. They're not to everyone's tastes obviously but everyone who has seen and heard mine have been very impressed. In terms of quality they're definitely not hokey, but looks-wise... well yeah that depends on an individual's tastes in aesthetics. lol

My main drivers are HAT Legatia L6SE:

These play fairly flat to 8k, and to about 6k off-axis. Despite off-axis door installation, they image beautifully.
Captain Buff likes this.

Last edited by TROLLEY; 01-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;844708]I paid just under $200 for mine years ago which I think is a bargain to be honest. The pods for the Audiofrog come in at less than AU$110 which I think is a no-brainer for someone just needing to mount tweeters as part of a 2-way active system. They're not to everyone's tastes obviously but everyone who has seen and heard mine have been very impressed. In terms of quality they're definitely not hokey, but looks-wise... well yeah that depends on an individual's tastes in aesthetics. lol

My main drivers are HAT Legatia L6SE:

Yeah you caught me out! I was thinking along the three way line and was sort of wondering how they would go in that area...for just a tweeter (and with someone who knows obviously knows ohms law and gives them props) then yeah I would go with them!

The HAT L6SE, HAT L3 and the HAT L1 ring radiator were neck and neck with the Focal Be Utopia 3 ways until I picked up a special on the Focal's...the HAT's are VERY nice speakers man

However that said I had a google and a brief look at those AudioFrog speakers...bloody hell mate they look pretty unreal. Fantastic speakers guys...I know this is more a WRX motor forum but I do get excited seeing a few guys delving into the 'associated' regions of cars. Stoked to be here
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Has anyone fabbed up a custom A-pillar for these or found one online for sale? I got some nice audiofrog gear that I want to mount in there.

Thanks guys/girls

G'day Macca, mate sorry to double post but I am staring down the same problem as you...custom a pillars for three ways (or the tweeters and mid ranges of the three way).

Whilst I can fab the rest of the car up OK (possibly excluding the head unit as it is such a head ****); I am more than a little reticent to go throwing resin around the front of my brand new wheels - as I'm sure you can imagine!

If you have any thoughts on an approach or guys you were going to use or if you were just going to cover everything and have a go yourself...any info would be appreciated mate. I'll throw anything useful your way - depending on your build man and what sort of stuff you are doing (those drivers are beautiful).

Any thoughts on your head unit approach would be welcomed as well - at the moment it looks like a Kenwood 8160 for mine...but flexible there as I have external DSP.

Any comments man would be appreciated
Cheers, Buff

Tags
apillar, my16, sti