Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > DIY Mechanical Modifications
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level
Default DIY :- Wheel Painting

Hey guys,

I have finally got around to making up some sort of a DIY for wheel painting. I intended to make it as comprehensive as possible for the learner like myself out there. So it is a long read, but if you are keen on painting your own wheels, I hope this can be of some use. The pictures I took along the way should help it become a little less boring too.

1. First thing you will need to do, is decide on a colour you want to paint your wheels. A good tip to remember here is to look around and see what other people have done to their wheels online. A Google image search usually does the trick. This is to get an idea of how that colour looks, on the wheel, on the car, in contrast to your / their cars paintwork colour.
This is sometimes difficult to do find especially if you are looking for something a bit different, but you get the idea. If you can get the information, try to get the exact colour & manufacturer of the paint, from the image / forum you find what you like. This is due to the fact that the top of the can of paint is not a 100% perfect replication of the paint colour, once sprayed. The majority of spray cans, have plastic tops, which while this is a good guide, it’s not perfect.

2. This step you need to be prepared to lose your car for the weekend @ a minimum. It took me around 24 hours of actual work to complete this (This time can be cut down, if you only intend to paint the outside of the wheel). I did do everything how I thought it should be done to ensure the paint stayed on there & did not flake off at a later date. I have seen other people who say you can do it in 4 hours. I really don’t see how this is possible, as I spent 4 hours just cleaning the wheels.

3. Get your supplies. The below amounts are what I basically used. I did do the whole process on the inside and outside of the wheel. Use your own judgement if you are only going to paint the outside of the wheel, you will need around half of the list below.

Ingredients:-

4 X Sheets 320 grit wet / dry paper – I think it was 80c a sheet @ Bunnings
2 X 320 grit 3M sandblaster flexible sanding pads - $3.80 ea @ Bunnings
1 X Plastic drop sheet / tarp - $3.20 @ Bunnings
Wheel cleaner – I used 2 types, but Meguires Hot rims All Wheel was better. $25 from Super Cheap Auto
1L Wax & Grease remover - $18 (I think) from SCA
A good stiff scrubbing brush to clean the wheels - $3 @ Bunnings
Masking tape. 2 types, the regular stuff and the blue 3M painters tape. $3 & $8 per roll @ Bunnings
2 X 400g Etch Primer - $15 per can
1 X 400g Filler primer - $18 per can
3 X 340g Paint (the colour you want) - $22
2 X 340g clear coat - $19 per can
1 X small can / tube of auto filler (bog) - $8
Gloves & respirator / dust mask.
Other items in the photos I found are not really required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	6428

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	6429

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	6430

I also purchased an electric outdoor heater from Bunnings to get some heat into the paint, once painted and to help it dry quicker. This was $40 on special. This is not required but it will take longer for the paint to dry. Also you don’t really want to be doing any panting when temperatures are below 20°c outside. It should have instructions on the can that say something to this effect.

4. You need a trolley jack to get under the front centre jacking mount & then the rear diff. Make sure you crack undone the front wheel nuts a little, as you will have no resistance on them once up in the air. Jack up the front, 2 X jack stands under the front & do the same for the rear.

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	6431

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	6432

Simon.

Last edited by RoughStilin; 19-08-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Tags
diy, painting, wheel