Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

fobz knows their stuff

Its odd coz I have heaps of friends say "you have a rex, you can go faster
in the wet". What they don't realise is that it may hold on longer but
when it does let go you have a bigger accident coz your going faster.

R I P

My flame suit is on. Give it your best biatch.

[COLOR="Red"]My STI's carbon emissions are offset by killing puppies.[/COLOR]

Last edited by fobz; 25-06-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 25-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Scoobie Noobie

SoobieRoo at standard level

fobz your spot on.

R I P Suresh, i knew you briefly.

wet weather and passengers = no risks.
Old 26-06-2007, 01:55 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver
Yeah it does

Given its hit directly on the door, and forward of the b pillar, theres nothing of any decent strength to stop the car crumpling like that, most cars are weak as piss in those areas, when you consider that you can press a door pannel in with your hand and dent it, it won't take much of an effort, for a pole thats buried a couple of meters int he ground to fold a car like that..

as for the pol snapping, you slam 1+ tons into a wodden pole at any speed and chances are it'll topple over...

Also bear in mind, that due to the nature of aquaplaning, and wet/slick grass, you'll accelerate before slowing, so even if he was doing 60, the water and grass may have added another 5km onto that

its an unfortunate accident, and given the other occupants of the car survived, im willing to bet thats all it is..
Come on mate you're smarter than that. You know that car was doing a lot more than 60. Yes you can get extensive damage at low speeds, but not this much. If cars crumpled that easily then we would have much higher death tolls and car companies would be under significant pressure to strengthen B pillars. During safety testing do you honestly think Subaru would have slammed the test car into a pole sideways at < 60km, watch it disintegrate and gone "oh yeah that will do". I understand you wanting to perhaps emphasise that you can have fatal accidents at low speeds and I'm being very objective here , but suggesting this car was doing the speed limit is ludicrous.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed
Come on mate you're smarter than that. You know that car was doing a lot more than 60. Yes you can get extensive damage at low speeds, but not this much. If cars crumpled that easily then we would have much higher death tolls and car companies would be under significant pressure to strengthen B pillars. During safety testing do you honestly think Subaru would have slammed the test car into a pole sideways at < 60km, watch it disintegrate and gone "oh yeah that will do". I understand you wanting to perhaps emphasise that you can have fatal accidents at low speeds and I'm being very objective here , but suggesting this car was doing the speed limit is ludicrous.
he never said he was doing 60, he was suggesting that even IF....key word IF. and yes cars do crumple very easily, i had a crash at about 30 k's and hr and it toally wrecked my front end a few years ago. Pretty much everything will damage at speeds, thus why there so much emphasis on getting people to slow down, less likely to crash, and if it does happen theres a less risk of a fatality.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver
Also bear in mind, that due to the nature of aquaplaning, and wet/slick grass, you'll accelerate before slowing, so even if he was doing 60, the water and grass may have added another 5km onto that
I have probably been away from physics classes longer than most of you but I don't remember anything about accelarating an object without inputing some sort of force.

If you start aquaplaning or go onto wet grass the grip level will dramaticaly reduce and any decelaration will be reduced dramaticaly which may feel like you accelarate but it is not the case.

The rules of physics don't change just cos the "OH SHIT" factor increased dramaticaly.
Old 26-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

I think the reason a lot of accidents occur in the first place is from complacency about speed and limits. People seem to think that if they do the speed limit they are 'automatically' safe. All those white signs around with black numbers inside a red circle are LIMITS not TARGETS. There's no such thing as safe speeding can also be applied to speed limits. Just because you're doing the speed limit doesn't mean you can take your eyes off the road for a bit or lose your concentration momentarily because that's all it takes. Anticipation makes driving safer, not doing the limit.

In this case unfortunately someone has died. Maybe if he had off kept of the kerb, been doing the speed limit etc etc. Basically he had zero respect for the conditions and was not driving accordingly. R.I.P Suresh and I hope the two passengers make a full recovery.
Old 26-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Sir AntiLag

Denver at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed
If it had hit the b pillar, it would be a different story, but if you look at the foto, the pole has hit the door, FORWARD, of the b pillar, in as i said, one of the weakest parts of the car..

not much between the drive and the pole then, except a few sheets of flimsy steel..
Old 26-06-2007, 10:35 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

redly rocket at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTASY

Who works for Western Power so we can find out the force required to snap a power pole ?

Easy enough to work out speed then . . .
I contract for western power inspecting poles for their structural integrity and treating them for wood rot ect.

1stly, every pole is different and some have been in the ground since the 70's, jarrah poles from that time are still bloody strong.

A few years back we used a bending/breaking machine on some poles to test the poles and if they broke western power would come and replace them so I can find out an average snap force required if yas want me to ask the higherups.

It all depends one the type of wood, age, internal wood rot, treatments, reinforcing, yadda yadda yadda... I would go as far to say if the pole did NOT snap (if it was a 700mm dia jarrah pole with massive reinforcing) the car would have and it could have been alot worse for the other 2 occupants.

But without knowing much about the pole at hand I cant really make any comment about it.

If your ever heading for an impact look to where you want the car to go not where you think its going to go (look to open space, not the big tree your heading for), your body/brain has a habit of taking the car to where your eyes are pointing, thats why heaps of accidents happen/nearly happen when the driver is writing a message on their mobile or searching for a song on their stereo.... you tend to veer they way your eyes are looking.

I was aquaplaning driving home from toodyay last friday. 110kph, aquaplaning going into bends driving down a big hill aint much fun so you adjust your driving to suit the conditions... I sat on pretty much 80 the rest of the way with low and controlled throttle input.

Deepest sympathies to all involved.

Last edited by redly rocket; 26-06-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 26-06-2007, 10:50 AM