Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

Quote:
Surging, as said previously on this thread, is due to the pickup being on the RHS of the tank, so on long right handers with fuel being thrown to the left, the return from LHS to RHS of the tank can't cope and you will get surge from anything like just under 1/2 to just under 1/4. (Impreza fuel tanks have a kind of kidney shaped profile). Surge has nothing to do with tune, tank or fuel pump...it's all in the pickup. The classic place for surge at Barbagallo is exiting Kolb which is a long sweeping right hander which is exited at full throttle in 3rd gear. You may be able to run the tank to 1/4 and below in a standard tank on many different circuits, but Kolb is THE classic surge place. It all depends on the cornering G forces you generate....more G's, more chance of surge.
An STi or MRT (much cheaper) in-tank surge pot is the cheapest solution. I have the MRT one in my MY06 STi and can run well under 1/4 at most places (Collie, AHG etc) without problems.....at Barbagallo it will exit out of Kolb OK at about 1/4 but not too much less.
My MRT surge pot did, however, need some subtle mods and I understand that MMS have fed these back to MRT who have now slightly changed the design to incorporate these changes.
I ran back to back tests of the MRT vs STi vs no surge pot at AHG a few years ago in my MY02 STi and both surge pots performed equally well and were able to run much lower fuel levels than the standard (no pot) tank.

So there you have it....
Thanks Steve!! I'll have to investigate getting a surge pot!

Thanx to all for the responses

Cheers
Zombee
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Vendor

ULTREX at standard level

when is the day? I really do have to get of my arse and join! this might just be the motivation I require!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooj
when is the day? I really do have to get of my arse and join! this might just be the motivation I require!
24/11/07

Tags
fuel, problems, track