Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 12:23 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Silent at standard level

yeah might as well post it here to for those who think the new one is faster haha
Old 17-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Anyone that seriously thinks the older sti's are better or faster in any performance KPI needs to take a look at themselves.

Car vs car, same conditions/drivers the newer is better. If it wasn't they just would not release it until it was.
Old 17-01-2008, 08:11 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

elemist at standard level
Send a message via MSN to elemist

I would love to hear what the drivers are actually saying. Sounds like they're taking the piss out of each other!
Old 17-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by atz 242
Anyone that seriously thinks the older sti's are better or faster in any performance KPI needs to take a look at themselves.

Car vs car, same conditions/drivers the newer is better. If it wasn't they just would not release it until it was.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/05/e...uba-lap-times/

Pete, take a read of that - its is quite clear that several older models have lapped faster in standard trim.

As a KPI, id say the track is a very good one in terms of comparing all aspects of a car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Come on TJ, You think Subaru dont do any R & D themselves? All around the world, Tarmac and off-road?

You know this!!! : )

and I have an 05 sti as well, "apparently" the fastest!
Old 17-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Pete - the cars keep getting heavier and larger.

Considering the driveline hasnt changed too much over the years, eventually it comes to a point where the thing just cant be as quick as they used to be. Inertia is a bitch on the track.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Suspension, chassis dynamics..Tires.

F1 and motoGP are perfect examples. Less power, more weight...faster.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:09 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Silent at standard level

Quote:

And they dont always release it for speed, sometimes for comfort, driving feel and stabilty. This car was made to attract other types of people.

Mate In terms of Raw speed on a local lenght circuit the old ones are faster. It probably feels more fun to drive considering its lighter. However i am yet to see it on a international circuit (would be interesting), a high speed slalom and stability test. What your talking about is something you dont know about, We have seen the old STI lap faster then the new ones, like the examples i have given so dont go saying the new one is faster without anything to show for it.

And i follow formula one, the cars do not get heavier, the aerodynamics are improved each year, making the chassis more rigid with less weight, As seen the Ferrari F2008 is smaller in size and not only that, the regulations in formula one states that your car must be over 600 kgs with the driver so all the teams work around that. Formula one moved to V8s becuase of cost as quoted by max mosley, V10s were becoming to expensive ande the smaller teams are unable to compete. The V10s are still faster in some circuits too, EG istanbul lap record 1.25 where else V8s best time is 1.29, Mainly because of the engine power percentage (i think its 75% engine power) and especialy monza where its 80% engine power, 11 turns but they touch the brakes 6 times. So your F1 example is wrong.

I am not saying the new model STI is slower just has not been proven its faster .... yet. Considering the new STI is missing a rear wing i am willing to bet at high speed stability the car isnt as sharp as the old STI. If you want to know what your comparing against, THe old STI did the high speed slalom at 200km/h, entered the bank at 190 to 200, and marked a top speed of 250 by the end of the stretch at KIRA in japan

i am not sure about Moto GP.

Last edited by Silent; 17-01-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent
Considering the new STI is missing a rear wing i am willing to bet at high speed stability the car isnt as sharp as the old STI. If you want to know what your comparing against, THe old STI did the high speed slalom at 200km/h, entered the bank at 190 to 200, and marked a top speed of 250 by the end of the stretch at KIRA in japan
Umm, the standard STi wings are just ironing boards for looks. Some special editions of Subaru's have a proper wing though that would offer a decent amount of downforce.

Not forgetting that the whole back end of the hatchback is providing downforce to the rears. And that is without looking at the more advanced underbody dynamics that the newer cars have. It is not all about having a big wing on the back of a car (McLaren F1 has 0 wings yet is super stable due to the engineers correctly studying the fluid dynamics of the vehicle).

Pete is saying is each iteration of the Impreza is getting faster with more safety gear, stability, style, looks, etc etc. In the video the 08 beats the 06 to prove that point.

A stock GC8 STi (excluding RA's, S201's etc) against a stock MY02, MY05, MY06 or MY08 STi is not a significantly faster vehicle and with a few corners thrown in the better suspension and diffs in the newer models would probably give them the edge.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Id believe that between a early GC8 and a 08 - But a late GD versus the new model? Nah.

The fact is they still use very similar underlaying setups anyhow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread

Tags
evo, sti