Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Harness (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19742-harness.html)

BOMB3R 14-05-2008 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=BLUES]I wouldn't be using a harness without a cage.[/QUOTE]
LOL Very informative Fred :D Why?

Hurtenstein 14-05-2008 04:42 PM

With a belt, if the roof gets squashed, you get pushed out of the way.
With a harness, if the roof gets squashed, so does your head.

AIG 14-05-2008 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=Kato]^^^ Correcto.

If I was putting them in the rear shelf, id have doubler plates put on for some added strength.

If the belts are going to rip out (something I have to take into consideration, since I weigh a bit more than the average bear) there would be no point putting a harness in.

Safety first, everything else second.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Dangerous to use the parcel shelf as it isn't designed to take the load.

WhiteRX 14-05-2008 07:00 PM

even the face of the parcel shelf IMHO isnt strong enough without some extra reinforcing. There is always a chance that the whole sheet of metal could tear at the spot welds. My harness mounts go through the same way as Nauil's but go right through to a bar in the boot area. I feel very safe with it set up that way.

Same deal to, my back seat has to come out to use them too. I have a momo 3" 4 point harness.

Personally i dont drive on the street with a harness on, just the stock seat belts. But only because it is illegal. I dont really mind wearing one, and dont really have a problem seeing around the car with it on. The only problem is the time it takes to put on and get really tight. Takes a few mins, especially with a helmet on.

wannabox 14-05-2008 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=Hurtenstein]With a belt, if the roof gets squashed, you get pushed out of the way.
With a harness, if the roof gets squashed, so does your head.[/QUOTE]

My only reasoning is that the stock seats dont hold me in too well. I just dont want to be thrown around the cabin as that happens to me even on the road.

Cheers

Kato 14-05-2008 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=Hurtenstein]With a belt, if the roof gets squashed, you get pushed out of the way.
With a harness, if the roof gets squashed, so does your head.[/QUOTE]

Personally if the roof is getting squashed enough to 'push you out of the way' you are stuffed anyway.

If you are doing any activities where that is the consequence, you'd be stupid not to consider other safety devices.

Elrico 14-05-2008 07:44 PM

Ive seen some pretty retarded stuff in my 21 years on this planet Kato.....:D

tuna 14-05-2008 07:46 PM

[QUOTE=BLUES]I wouldn't be using a harness without a cage.[/QUOTE]

totally agree.

jEstEr? 14-05-2008 07:48 PM

I couldn't be using a harness with airbags

Elrico 14-05-2008 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?]I couldn't be using a harness with airbags[/QUOTE]

Does that impose serious danger as you cannot move when the airbag goes off or something like that?? Im pretty sure it was explained in a previous thread about harnesses.