Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Harness (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19742-harness.html)

Hurtenstein 15-05-2008 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=Kato]
At AHG for instance, there is very little risk of airbags/rollover situation. The harness keeps me nicely in my seat, so I like it. At other events I would decide at the time if it would be suitable to have one on or use the stock belt.[/QUOTE]

Most definately, horses for courses.
Just showing what could happen if you did roll. Which can happen unplanned and unexpected.

wannabox 15-05-2008 02:46 PM

Never thought this would be such a heated topic :P, this is only for the odd AHG day to keep me in my seat.

I ordered one of these today:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Genuine-SPARCO-4-point-Detachable-Harness-Brand-new_W0QQitemZ190220341709QQihZ009QQcategoryZ43809QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

It has been sent out already and should be here monday then will need to take her somewhere to get mounting sorted out. As I said only to hold my while doing the odd AHG day nothing serious. So I think a cage is overkill in my situation, but down the track if I get into something more serious I will look into it then.

Thanks for all the opinions

BLUES 15-05-2008 03:06 PM

There are some serious potential roll over hot spots @ AHG, so don't assume you'll never roll it - the drop off edge along the runway side is just asking for it.

wannabox 18-05-2008 11:04 AM

Ok harness has arrived.

Installation wise can anyone give me pointers where to install the hooks. For the rear one I was thinking of replacing the seat belt and buckle bolts with the eye.

Then for the front replace the left hand seat rail bolt with an eye, and then then front seatbelt bolt. Will this work or am I dreaming?

Cheers

vyper 24-06-2008 02:01 PM

For those in the know:

- How effective are harnesses with stock STi (06) seats?
- How significant is the benefit of using the harness with a proper race seat?

Cheers in advance.

danman 24-06-2008 02:10 PM

For the belt ey bolts you can just replace the existing bolts with eye bolts. For the shoulder straps you'll need to get some inserts welded in to ensure that the belts 'fall' within the correct angle. If you use the rear seat passenger belt holes the angle of the belt will more than likelybe outside the tolerance set by CAMS and therefore you could fail sctutineering.

Once you've got a race seat in the standard belt is next to useless as they generally sit over the top of the seat and do not hold you in. Sjould you ever be in an accident there is more chance of you submarining into the footwell.

BOMB3R 24-06-2008 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=danman]
Once you've got a race seat in the standard belt is next to useless as they generally sit over the top of the seat and do not hold you in. Sjould you ever be in an accident there is more chance of you submarining into the footwell.[/QUOTE]

Glad I read this! Didn't think of that, just put a new seat in. Might start using the harness as well now.

wannabox 24-06-2008 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=danman]For the belt ey bolts you can just replace the existing bolts with eye bolts. For the shoulder straps you'll need to get some inserts welded in to ensure that the belts 'fall' within the correct angle. If you use the rear seat passenger belt holes the angle of the belt will more than likelybe outside the tolerance set by CAMS and therefore you could fail sctutineering.

Once you've got a race seat in the standard belt is next to useless as they generally sit over the top of the seat and do not hold you in. Sjould you ever be in an accident there is more chance of you submarining into the footwell.[/QUOTE]

I ended up using the rear seatbest holes. I went to an AHG day and was told by a couple guys there that it should be fine. I was very happy with the harness best investment I ever made made driving a whole lot better. Was not thrown around and decided with the harness I will not need to get new seats.

Cheers

FFOUR 24-06-2008 02:29 PM

[QUOTE=PIGSTi]Glad I read this! Didn't think of that, just put a new seat in. Might start using the harness as well now.[/QUOTE]

Which would be illegal.

BOMB3R 24-06-2008 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=Red_MY04]Which would be illegal.[/QUOTE]
Which I know.....