Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

OllieJ at standard level
Default Buying a car from the Eastern states

Any experienced in purchasing a car over east and bringing it back to WA? from what i have found so far it looks like I have to transfer ownership in VIC and then transfer it from VIC to WA.

It appears I would have to put the car over the pits here as it won't have been in my name for 12 months when transfering to WA.

I'm looking to fly buy and drive back (always wanted to road trip it!) so I'm concerned that if anything goes pear shaped paperwork wise I'll be in the shiz
Old 09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieJ
Any experienced in purchasing a car over east and bringing it back to WA? from what i have found so far it looks like I have to transfer ownership in VIC and then transfer it from VIC to WA.

It appears I would have to put the car over the pits here as it won't have been in my name for 12 months when transfering to WA.

I'm looking to fly buy and drive back (always wanted to road trip it!) so I'm concerned that if anything goes pear shaped paperwork wise I'll be in the shiz

You can only register it in vic if you live there.

Dont worry about de-registering it in vic just drive it here then organise taking it to the pits for registering it here and then send the plates back to vic.

Been done many a time mate no dramas at all.

I got one from sydney and just took it to the pits and regoed it a week after it got here.

What car you getting?

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

OllieJ at standard level

That makes it easier.... and transfer appears to be a few hundred cheaper here too.

Looking to get a Liberty GT. Haven't yet decided for sure if it will replace the liberty safety pack or the suzuki swift
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Wait, does that mean you don't have to take it over the pits if you've owned the car for more than 12 months in another state?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex
Wait, does that mean you don't have to take it over the pits if you've owned the car for more than 12 months in another state?
Dont think so, pretty sure it will still need to go over as it still needs to be checked for road worthyness.

I had to take my car over the pits and it was brand new with 20kms
on the clock!

PS: get an STI there are some awesome bargins to be had at the moment
just check how much their selling for on rexnet lately.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

fobz knows their stuff

This is how to do it...
1. Inspect and make sure you're happy.
2. Buy it and get a receipt from the seller.
3. Do not transfer it into your name in the other state, its a waste of time/money.
4. When it gets to WA (yes, when it hits the border) it will be technically unlicensed
5. I assume you will get it truck/trained, so when you pick it up you will need a temporary movement permit.
6. Drive to the pits and get it inspected.
7. Take "passed inspection" form to licensing center with sufficient ID, your receipt and as many other things for "proof of purchase" as you can.
8. Pay for 12 (or 6) months license, and the WA transfer fee. If you dont pay on the day, it will be unlicensed until you do.
9. You may also have to sign a stat-dec stating who you bought the car off. Make sure you have their details handy.
10. Put on plates and drive home.

Phew... Thats the shit I just went through for Suzie STI from Adelaide.

A few facts (ignore what others 'think' they know)
1. The car will be unlicensed unless you reside in another state and have
owned it for 12 months. This includes if it has the previous owners plates. So if you drive it here on the old owners plates and have a crash you are screwed.
2. When you get the insurance "cover note" they will want a license plate, tell them the interstate plate so its covered for transit.
3. You MUST have a temp movement permit when you take it to the pits. Sometimes they ask for it. Its cheap, lasts 48 hours, and can be ordered over the phone.
4. Make sure you inspect it, AND do a REVS check in the state you are buying it.
5. Don't bother with transfer in other state. Just get a written receipt from previous owner and the license papers.
6. If buying from a dealer, they may throw in shipping back to Perth and organise it for you. Mine did, so very convenient.

I just read that you are looking to drive it back...$$$$ on fuel.
1. As soon as you leave VIC and enter SA it will be unlicensed. You will need a temp movement permit from the SA police to drive it through the state.
2. As soon as you get to WA, you will need a temp movement permit from the WA police.
3. Without the permits, you are not insured for third party injury and the police will rape you if you get caught.
4. Not having correct permits also means RAC, SGIO or whoever you have with the cover note will pull their cover if you have an accident due to you driving it illegally.

If I think of anything else I will post it up.

My flame suit is on. Give it your best biatch.

[COLOR="Red"]My STI's carbon emissions are offset by killing puppies.[/COLOR]

Last edited by fobz; 09-12-2008 at 10:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fobz For This Useful Post:
Darson (22-05-2013)
Old 10-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Stickied - good future reference
Well done!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

LIBRT! at standard level

From an insurance point of view 'FOBZ' is correct. They require permit numbers for the states u are travelling in, wen u hit WA it is in ur best interest to get it to the pits to register it properly and get a proper rego number.

Make sure u contact your insurance company prior to picking up the vehicle to see if they will cover u properly for your trip back.

Good luck with the purchase!!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

holler at standard level

LIBRT! can you check your pm if possible plz!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I bought a brand new truck in Melbourne and drove it back unlicensed at the end of last year (07). The dealership I bought it from organised a one way movement permit from their end. They just taped it to the inside of the windscreen. I took that into DPI after I got back and happy times. Drop a cheque for nearly $10k in stamp duty on their table and life is good.

We had no number plates and a tray load of brand new cargo and was never stopped / questioned. The guys at the WA border went right over the paperwork and they were happy and let us on our way.

Brendon

Tags
buying, car, eastern, states, vic